Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Worst ever manager

Worst ever manager  

415 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the worst manager in our history?

• Frank McLintock
    • David Pleat
    • Peter Taylor
    • Craig Levein
    • Ian Holloway
    • Paolo Sousa

45 minutes ago, davieG said:

No one has a worst record than McLintock 12.5% win rate.

https://www.foxestalk.co.uk/history/managers/?mid=7

NAME                                          PERIOD GAMES WINS DRAWS LOSSES WIN %

Frank McLintock Scotland.png

1977-78

40 5 12 23 12.5%

Players Sold

Alan Birchenall England.png Notts County Unknown September 1977
Frank Worthington England.png Bolton Wanderers Unknown September 1977
Carl Jayes England.png Northampton Town Unknown November 1977
Steve Earle England.png Peterborough United On loan November 1977
Steve Yates England.png Southend United Unknown November 1977
Jon Sammels England.png Vancouver Whitecaps Unknown January 1978
Jeff Blockley England.png Derby County On loan February 1978
Steve Earle England.png Detroit Express Unknown March 1978
Brian Alderson Scotland.png New England Tea Men Unknown March 1978
Steve Kember England.png Vancouver Whitecaps On loan April 1978
Larry May England.png New England Tea Men On loan April 1978
Dean Smith England.png Houston Hurricane On loan April 1978
Keith Weller England.png New England Tea Men On loan April 1978
Peter Welsh Scotland.png Houston Hurricane On loan April 1978

Players Bought

PLAYER   CLUB FEE DATE
Eddie Kelly Scotland.png Queens Park Rangers £50,000 July 1977
Dave Webb England.png Queens Park Rangers Unknown September 1977
George Armstrong England.png Arsenal Unknown September 1977
Lammie Robertson Scotland.png Exeter City £8,000 September 1977
Alan Waddle England.png Liverpool £45,000 September 1977
Geoff Salmons England.png Stoke City £40,000 October 1977
Billy Hughes Scotland.png Derby County Unknown December 1977
Roger Davies England.png Club Brugge £250,000 December 1977

Selling Worthington and replacing him with Waddle and Davies. Has there been a worst manager of any team? 

• Like 1

Guest Col city fan

I’ve had to go for Holloway just because he took a half decent squad, couldn’t buy a win and took us down into League 1

He was hugely apologetic if I recollect, at being relegated with City. 
We went into free-fall and he had no clue how to turn it round 

6 hours ago, Duquesne Whistle said:

Wow, what a bunch.

Levein was woeful, and not just with us. Originator of the 1-10-0-0 formation when in charge of the Scots. Sousa was a huge disappointment and Taylor appeared idiotic at times, but Holloway was just a pantomime and takes it for me. Dishonourable mentions for the other two.

....the fact that he was the only manager to take us into the third tier should make him the worst!!!

• Like 1

Not shy of choices for worst manager.

Although Holloway got us relegated to League 1 I feel like that was the direction we were sleepwalking towards anyway without a decent manager.

As a result I went for Peter Taylor. I know MON was a legend here but I feel the dip after MON and Lennon's departures should never have been so great.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Taylor but some strong contenders.

Always found it a shame with Holloway. I was only a kid at the time but I remember being really excited by it lol that went well.

I remember being absolutely buzzing at being linked with Dowie.

Kids are idiots

• Haha 1

I remember making this up when we were linked with John Gregory when he was tipped to replace Holloway fortunately we got Pearson instead.

greg in a box.gif

...and this one....

469251232_Irespecthim.jpg.018e535e3e08697662c09bb1e4188072.jpg

7 hours ago, lcfceaves said:

I’ve gone Peter Taylor but it could’ve been three or four of them. 

I think it’s just that era though with Taylor, Bassett, Akinbiyi, Dennis Wise, the whole thing was just a long nightmare 

The Bassett and Adams era was the best they could make out of a very bad job left by Peter Taylor.

Had players playing for free ffs and got promoted

• Like 2

Holloway for me but it was incredibly close between him and Taylor.

Holloway had the tightest defence in the Championship as a base and 30+ league games as well as a transfer window to sort us out - we were stagnating and he inherited some undeniable dross, but under no circumstances should we have gone down that season. He didn't have a ****ing clue.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Langston said:

Holloway for me but it was incredibly close between him and Taylor.

Holloway had the tightest defence in the Championship as a base and 30+ league games as well as a transfer window to sort us out - we were stagnating and he inherited some undeniable dross, but under no circumstances should we have gone down that season. He didn't have a ****ing clue.

Clue.jpg.ceeab894f6f04123b83047d63db8ccd2.jpg

As I posted at the time.:P

• Haha 2

Cant decide between McLintock & Taylor. Both clueless. Both inherited good squads & replaced good players with terrible players.

Holloway close behind, he inherited a terrible squad & left a terrible squad.

Statistically Gary Parker is our worst manager. 1 game in charge, a 6-0 defeat by Leeds.

Edited by boots60

Was going to include Bryan Hamilton in the poll looking at the stats, but he was before my time so I don't really know the circumstances (same with McLintock but he is famously bad). Could easily have put Dave "What Do We Do Now" Bassett in as well. 

For me it's a close toss up between Frank McLintock and Peter Taylor. 

McLintock was abysmal but for me Taylor shades it due to the way he totally ruined a good squad replacing them with rubbish players. 

My nephew at the time worked for the club. He told me that first he ruined the youth team squad with his tinkering and that God help us when he started tinkering with the main squad. 

He was proved right! 

36 minutes ago, CAMBIASSOOOOOO said:

The Bassett and Adams era was the best they could make out of a very bad job left by Peter Taylor.

Had players playing for free ffs and got promoted

Bassett wheeled and dealed marvellously behind the scenes..Deane and Dickov signed as manager and as you say, persuading summerbee and mckinaly to play for free. 

Then as DoF signed Gillespie, Bent, Dabizas, Howey, Ferdinand, Ben Thatcher, Scimeca and Hignett ....ok not all.worked but he had a promotion budget of 5m.... a pretty good effort with so little

• Like 2

Holloway, Basset, Sousa, Megson and Allen - they all were the pits. Levein comes close but for me with the exception of Allen none of them lost the dressing room as quickly as Puel. Not to say Puel was the worst manager but he was out of all of them for me the manager with the least communication and man management skills of all them. 

This won’t be popular. And I’m alright with that.

I always think Pleat was the nadir. 

Taylor and McLintock may have damaged the club more. But the Pleat era was by far the least enjoyable era of the club and fans voted with their feet, it went on for years and we were just not enjoyable to watch at all, the lowest attendances in the club's history are still all from the Pleat era. 

Levein was similar actually, but I always thought Levein was dealt a worse hand in terms of finances and the club's position. Pleat actually spent quite a bit relative in the Second Division at the time, but bar a brief spell when Kevin Campbell was on loan and was by far the shining light of the Pleat era, he just couldn't replace Lineker and Smith and we couldn't score goals.

2 hours ago, Nalis said:

Not shy of choices for worst manager.

Although Holloway got us relegated to League 1 I feel like that was the direction we were sleepwalking towards anyway without a decent manager.

As a result I went for Peter Taylor. I know MON was a legend here but I feel the dip after MON and Lennon's departures should never have been so great.

....that's the problem, Holloway was coming to us off good reviews and success, and viewed his ebullient image and jovialities as proof that he could take us back up, as he was the right man at the right time!!!

If he had spent as much time organising the team and getting the performances out of the players instead of playing up to the media, we would have had a chance to be pushing upwards as opposed to losing it all on the last day, when Holloway finally paid attention to what he was doing and attempted to set up his team to achieve a result to keep us in the second tier.

There cannot be anyone worse!!!

26 minutes ago, Nick said:

Holloway, Basset, Sousa, Megson and Allen - they all were the pits. Levein comes close but for me with the exception of Allen none of them lost the dressing room as quickly as Puel. Not to say Puel was the worst manager but he was out of all of them for me the manager with the least communication and man management skills of all them. 

This won’t be popular. And I’m alright with that.

Bit harsh on Bassett I feel, he was dealt an awful hand