Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Worst ever manager

Worst ever manager  

415 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the worst manager in our history?

• Frank McLintock
    • David Pleat
    • Peter Taylor
    • Craig Levein
    • Ian Holloway
    • Paolo Sousa

1 hour ago, CAMBIASSOOOOOO said:

The Bassett and Adams era was the best they could make out of a very bad job left by Peter Taylor.

Had players playing for free ffs and got promoted

Adams on his own…yes.

Edited by lcfceaves

Just now, lcfceaves said:

Adams on his own…

Bassett came in after Taylor, steadied the ship (although ultimately we got relegated) then moved into an advisory/director of football role and made some very smart signings that massively helped the team.

So Bassett undoubtedly helped the club through a very tough period.

• Like 2

Guest StevieLynex
6 hours ago, DanNDH88 said:

Sven not included? All that money and he managed to sign a team of absolute dross 

He would certainly top the list for one of the most overrated managers in football

7 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Or that they just think Peter Taylor was worse.

(It's Peter Taylor. The correct answer is Peter Taylor).

(Statistically it's Frank McLintock. The correct answer statistically is Frank McLintock). :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Can't really top losing an FA Cup QF, at home, to a lower league club so short on strikers that the winning goal was scored by a guy who just a week before was sitting on his sofa and answered a desperation Teletext advert. 

To be fair, at that point I think we were fourth in the Prem having just beaten Liverpool and an also towards the top Sunderland. Taylor was still being hailed as the brightest up and coming manager in the country then.

He was completely unable to overcome the loss of confidence from that moment onwards. Think we only won five games in the season and a bit after. 

I attended a handful of matches when Jimmy Bloomfield was manager but the 77/78 season was the first one when I really paid attention to what was going on. And for those who weren't around at the time, what was going on was utterly abysmal.

The team was gutless, spineless, brainless and clueless and deservedly finished bottom of the league, setting worst for records that would stand until the Derby side of 07/08 eclipsed everyone.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ceredigion said:

I attended a handful of matches when Jimmy Bloomfield was manager but the 77/78 season was the first one when I really paid attention to what was going on. And for those who weren't around at the time, what was going on was utterly abysmal.

The team was gutless, spineless, brainless and clueless and deservedly finished bottom of the league, setting worst for records that would stand until the Derby side of 07/08 eclipsed everyone.

I think 77/78 we had Frank McClintock from the start of that season. He had an ageing squad that needed refreshing and then decided to bring in all his old mates. It all went very Pete tong 

19 hours ago, Foxin_Mad said:

Taylor by far. At the time we were on the crest of a wave, potentially moving to the next level, relatively big spend new stadium. Peter Taylor wasted a fairly large budget at the time on a bunch of mediocre or injury prone players. Akinbiyi, Benjamin, Scowcroft, Lewis, Jones, Marshall, the little rat Wise! Man is a disgrace.

Sousa tried to change the style to tippy tippy without changing the players, under Holloway we had been on a downward spiral fir a while, Levine and Pleat were bad, Pleat actually brought in some decent players. Levine just dull beyond all belief. 

Harsh on Levein really. He took us on some decent cup runs and kept us well away from relegation. 

Taylor was a disgrace and nearly broke the club. He's the worse, no contest. 

Holloway a very close second, took us down and his press conferences made us seem like a circus. Embarrassing.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sampson said:

I always think Pleat was the nadir. 

Taylor and McLintock may have damaged the club more. But the Pleat era was by far the least enjoyable era of the club and fans voted with their feet, it went on for years and we were just not enjoyable to watch at all, the lowest attendances in the club's history are still all from the Pleat era. 

Levein was similar actually, but I always thought Levein was dealt a worse hand in terms of finances and the club's position. Pleat actually spent quite a bit relative in the Second Division at the time, but bar a brief spell when Kevin Campbell was on loan and was by far the shining light of the Pleat era, he just couldn't replace Lineker and Smith and we couldn't score goals.

That's the difference for me personally don't enjoy getting relegated be it to the championship or league 1 but I'm not gonna stop supporting because of it however if there is a manager trying to turn us into the stoke of the championship it's really dangerous long-term because it really effects the lifeblood of the club which is the fans.

Frank McClintock by a country mile.

The season he was in charge was absolutely woeful. A collection of Frank's mates, chain smokers (Billy Hughes) and you're not fit to wear the shirt types sunk us like a stone. I remember celebrating a penalty award when we were 0-3 down at Molyneaux and thinking yes, this is it, we're turning things around, only for Lammie Robertson to miss it.

Taylor was a tactical genius compared to McClintock. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I feel as though Holloway and Sousa fall into the 'right man, wrong time' category. Sousa was trying to implement a style which was completely incompatible with the players that we had but I think he would have done alright if he was managing us in the past three or four years. Holloway went onto win two promotions not long after managing us so he clearly had something at that level. I think his biggest mistake was the high turnover over of players in the short amount of time. 

• Like 1

Peter Taylor by a country mile.  Thought he was something he wasnt.  Spunked millions on crap Players upset n moved on more established players.  Went from being a great team under Martin Oneal, to one of the worst.  Taylor not only decimated that team, but took us back years.  Worst appointment ever.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Duquesne Whistle said:

Wow, what a bunch.

Levein was woeful, and not just with us. Originator of the 1-10-0-0 formation when in charge of the Scots. Sousa was a huge disappointment and Taylor appeared idiotic at times, but Holloway was just a pantomime and takes it for me. Dishonourable mentions for the other two.

TBF Holloway laid the groundwork in order for Pearson to win League 1

Without him we'd never have reached that division

Edited by TonyN11
  • Haha 2

I voted Taylor. Because I vividly remember the whole period and think it was him as a manager that was a problem more so than at any other time. 

Looking at the stats I think McLintock is probably worse it’s just before my time so I don’t remember. Similar situation of taking over a good squad. 

Sousa and Sven massive disappointments. Holloway an idiot. 

12 hours ago, wokinghamfox said:

I think 77/78 we had Frank McClintock from the start of that season. He had an ageing squad that needed refreshing and then decided to bring in all his old mates. It all went very Pete tong 

I  can only assume  peoples age is why there is such a ridiculously  low percentage for Mclintock   or the fact he was a great player for us . Apart  from Taylor everyone inherited  a rubbish side  and he had some success  before Wycombe  but lost the club more money  and we took much longer to recover.  so  its a  toss up  but  I think Mclintock edges it

10 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

I feel as though Holloway and Sousa fall into the 'right man, wrong time' category. Sousa was trying to implement a style which was completely incompatible with the players that we had but I think he would have done alright if he was managing us in the past three or four years. Holloway went onto win two promotions not long after managing us so he clearly had something at that level. I think his biggest mistake was the high turnover over of players in the short amount of time. 

I think deep down Holloway regretted leaving Plymouth and wasn’t 100% about joining us in the first place.

On 30/08/2021 at 20:09, Sampson said:

I always think Pleat was the nadir. 

Taylor and McLintock may have damaged the club more. But the Pleat era was by far the least enjoyable era of the club and fans voted with their feet, it went on for years and we were just not enjoyable to watch at all, the lowest attendances in the club's history are still all from the Pleat era. 

Levein was similar actually, but I always thought Levein was dealt a worse hand in terms of finances and the club's position. Pleat actually spent quite a bit relative in the Second Division at the time, but bar a brief spell when Kevin Campbell was on loan and was by far the shining light of the Pleat era, he just couldn't replace Lineker and Smith and we couldn't score goals.

Pleat will always blame the departure of Russell Osman when asked about his time(failure)at Filbo.As a manager he was 25 years ahead of his time.Not quite what we needed in the late eighties though.

With Megson not being an option and being a bit too young for understanding how bad Pleat was.

It’s without doubt Tater Peeler.

The guy set us back so far with so many poor signings and awful decisions. Was so far out of his depth it was unreal.