Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Worst ever manager

Worst ever manager  

415 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the worst manager in our history?

• Frank McLintock
    • David Pleat
    • Peter Taylor
    • Craig Levein
    • Ian Holloway
    • Paolo Sousa

17 minutes ago, Heathrow fox said:

I think deep down Holloway regretted leaving Plymouth and wasn’t 100% about joining us in the first place.

Maybe I'm deluded but I do believe that if he managed to keep us up he would have turned it around and we would have been much better the following season. I now have the benefit of hindsight to be able to say I'm glad that it didn't happen as going down to League One was good for us in the long run. 

1 minute ago, BenTheFox said:

Maybe I'm deluded but I do believe that if he managed to keep us up he would have turned it around and we would have been much better the following season. I now have the benefit of hindsight to be able to say I'm glad that it didn't happen as going down to League One was good for us in the long run. 

Absolutely.All part of the process.He certainly had something about him when at the right place and time.I think he’s finally fallen off the merry go round now after it went tits up at Grimsby.

4 minutes ago, Heathrow fox said:

Absolutely.All part of the process.He certainly had something about him when at the right place and time.I think he’s finally fallen off the merry go round now after it went tits up at Grimsby.

Also worth mentioning that we were relegated with a points total that would seen us safe pretty much any other season. 

14 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Also worth mentioning that we were relegated with a points total that would seen us safe pretty much any other season. 

Yes,our defence stats were play-off there or there abouts as well I think!The 90/91 team has to be the worst.Only two teams went down that season.Forget the Tony James winner.It all came down to Bristol Rovers being on the beach or not.

Definitely Taylor, he also showed how much of a fraud he was as a coach, and how thick he was too. Replaced key players with absolute shite, and tried to get the most direct team in the late 90’s early 00’s era to ‘play football’ utter disaster. I can remember the Bolton game, even though I was a young lad at the time, the old man who sat next to me gave me a £1 and said, “get your dad to put a bet on for you, Leicester to go down”. 

That man committed crimes against football. 

8 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Definitely Taylor, he also showed how much of a fraud he was as a coach, and how thick he was too. Replaced key players with absolute shite, and tried to get the most direct team in the late 90’s early 00’s era to ‘play football’ utter disaster. I can remember the Bolton game, even though I was a young lad at the time, the old man who sat next to me gave me a £1 and said, “get your dad to put a bet on for you, Leicester to go down”. 

I remember the Bolton game.

People say you shouldnt rush to judgements too early in the season, but 99% of fans at that game knew we were down after 45 mins.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Did you used to sit next to my grandad at Filbert Street? That definitely sounds like something he would have done. 

14 hours ago, Heathrow fox said:

Yes,our defence stats were play-off there or there abouts as well I think!The 90/91 team has to be the worst.Only two teams went down that season.Forget the Tony James winner.It all came down to Bristol Rovers being on the beach or not.

Never!

Or the Marc North header off the line, come to that.

Also I think we did still have to not lose, whatever else happened. As I remember to stay up we had to do better than West Brom?

On 30/08/2021 at 20:55, Webbo said:

I can't really hate Holloway, he was stuck with a team of second rate right backs bought by Mandaric, a squad demoralised and confused by so many managerial changes. I don't think anyone would have kept us up.

....he was out of his depth, "too much negativity, there is too much negativity round here" that was his mantra!!!

He was constantly asked about our position within the league and it was "we are not going down...too much negativity.....", he was in a position beyond his dreams it was Christmas all at once.

Like Mark Allen when he saw his salary as against the squad he was inheriting it was easier to say yes to the job than lay down caveats in order to address the problems at the club. Take the job, if they sack you at the end of the season at least it is good money.

Holloway was a disaster, I really do not think he spent much of his time here trying to do the job.

Taylor took shockingly little time to completely disassemble what had been our most successful era in years. 

He was completely inept, a ridiculously appalling hire and got found out repeatedly afterwards. 

Ollie, whilst shit, took over a club in a long, slow and ugly decline and probably doesn't deserve complete ownership of our relegation. 

• Like 4

Nowhere near our worst but people are being kind on Bassett in some of these comments. Did ok once he'd moved upstairs but was pretty poor after taking over from Taylor. We still had some good players and with better management might have stayed up. 

Walk into the club shop and see Ian HOLLOWAY:) book being sold when city where on bad run, or seeing Frank Mclintock at QPR in the 70s dew to power cut ,talk to his player in the middle pitch when City where being out played QPR. 

We hounded out a decent manager (Jimmy Bloomfield) who  brought legendary players to the club and built a hugely entertaining side and replaced him with an utter dipstick with no discernible managerial qualifications in McLintock who nearly wrecked the club . 

Even Tater peeler had a period of modest success , McLintock had none . 

• Like 1

Just now, Gamble92 said:

The complete fannies who employed Taylor were just as bad. Think he managed to avoid the sack because we drew with Charlton away in a "must win" if I remember right. Why did they insist on keeping him so long?

Got sacked after the Charlton game.

He stayed because we nicked a point at home to Ipswich and then got an incredibly scrappy win at Derby. Two teams that would go down with us. You could argue they are the most costly positive results in our history. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bovril said:

You could argue they are the most costly positive results in our history.

Ah, but if things had gone differently, other things would have gone differently. And then who knows where we’d have been in 2015-16? I certainly don’t, but almost certainly we wouldn’t have been winning the league. Would we sacrifice that title to have avoided the decade of unmitigated miserable crap that followed Peter Taylor?

We are where we are because of everything that has happened to us. To wish those things different is to wish us somewhere else.

39 minutes ago, surrifox said:

We hounded out a decent manager (Jimmy Bloomfield) who  brought legendary players to the club and built a hugely entertaining side and replaced him with an utter dipstick with no discernible managerial qualifications in McLintock who nearly wrecked the club . 

Even Tater peeler had a period of modest success , McLintock had none . 

He may have had an entertaining team and he did but his win rate compared to others is pretty poor. 30% 

Agree about McLintock 12.5% win rate

No contest, Frank McLintock, but we’ll before the majority of forum members were born. 

Had absolutely no tactical nouse and must have won the least ever games in a season. Totally clueless. Wrist slitting year, worst performances week in week out I have witnessed in 60 years. Horrible horrible year to support the lads. 

Taylor was abysmal but we did win some games; he just turned out to be a total arrogant knob head who thought he knew everything. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Heathrow fox said:

I do broadly agree that the 90/91 team was the worst in the club's history, even over the 07/08 side. They got less points and conceded twice the goals of the 07/08 team for example and finished in the same position in the league, but like you say, only 2 sides went down then. I think if we had gone down that season, it would've taken us several years to have gotten out the third tier and we wouldn't have run away with it like we did in 08/09.

It's funny though because player-for-player. the 90/91 team, several the team actually ended up having half decent careers for the club, at least at second tier level. There wasn't actually that much change to squad once Brian Little took over. But Brian Little was very good at getting the maximum out of mediocre players.

I mean the likes of Steve Walsh and Tommy Wright were regarded as donkeys and liabilities until Little took over. And Tony James was probably our best player back then but had his career ruined by that horrendous broken leg.

Whereas I don't think many of the 07/08 side really ended up having half-decent careers at that level for the side other than Fryatt (not including King who was only a a kid and got limited game time in the relegation season). Players like Steve Howard and Matt Oakley did really well in League One, but then struggled again when we came up to the Championship in 09/10.

• Like 1