Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Benkovic

42 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Too late now, wouldn’t be able to join a new club until January

Free agents can be registered as long as the club signing said player outside of the window have spare space in their squad can’t they? I might be totally wrong but I thought that was the case

16 minutes ago, dbtcity said:

Free agents can be registered as long as the club signing said player outside of the window have spare space in their squad can’t they? I might be totally wrong but I thought that was the case

Only if they were out of contract or released at the end of the most recent window. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, indierich06 said:

It's even weirder that he's been frozen out by Rodgers, who he played under and seemed to rate him for Celtic. I think with the state we're in at the minute defensively, he's got to be worth a spot on the bench at the very least?!

In all honesty, he might have been told to find another club, and the lack of a bench appearance was to serve as motivation. Now that he's here, he might get more of a look. Again, for all we know, he may have picked up a knock; he is prone to the them.

Of course, the best thing for Benko might be three months playing for the U23's, just so he is match fit.

10 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

I rate my car for getting me to work, but if I needed compete in a F1 race I would'nt think its was good enough.

How you rate something is relevant to what you are using it for.

Yes, but that analogy falls down a bit when we've started the season playing some hybrid full-back/midfielder at CB, without even having a recognised CB option on the bench. He was a regular starter for Celtic, they're not some pub team, players like Van Dyke have been regular starters there too and there have been plenty of players from Scotland who have made the switch to Premier League football over the past few years. Obviously Benkovic has had a bit of a torrid time since his loan spell there - but surely he's worth a spot on the bench at least, when we have no other recognised centre backs fit? 

Just makes me think that there's more going on behind the scenes than we know, especially when Rodgers is coming out with comments like this when he went on loan to Cardiff in 2020: "He needs to play games and at the minute he's not playing at Leicester and now he's not playing at Cardiff. It's something where we need to get Filip playing. He needs to get working again and show the level he can play at. For myself, I've seen the level. When he was with me at Celtic he played against RB Leipzig and he was sensational. Really since that first 10 games at Celtic, he hasn't maintained a level of fitness and performance that I know he can."

So maybe it's workrate/application that's the problem? Either way, I really think there's a good player in there, and it's just a shame to see him languishing like this.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, indierich06 said:

Yes, but that analogy falls down a bit when we've started the season playing some hybrid full-back/midfielder at CB, without even having a recognised CB option on the bench.

Say it all, that BR would rather have no CB on the bench then have Benkovic on it.

He was a regular starter for Celtic, they're not some pub team, players like Van Dyke have been regular starters there too and there have been plenty of players from Scotland who have made the switch to Premier League football over the past few years.

What's your point, Under played in Serie A at the same time as Ronaldo, doesn't make him a great player. Scotland PL has had many a fine player play in it, as has the PL. 

But both league has had plenty of dross play in them. Just playing in league doesn't make you a decent player. 

Obviously Benkovic has had a bit of a torrid time since his loan spell there - but surely he's worth a spot on the bench at least, when we have no other recognised centre backs fit? 

Well BR doesn't think he's far better placed to make a decision then the both of us.

Just makes me think that there's more going on behind the scenes than we know, especially when Rodgers is coming out with comments like this when he went on loan to Cardiff in 2020: "He needs to play games and at the minute he's not playing at Leicester and now he's not playing at Cardiff. It's something where we need to get Filip playing. He needs to get working again and show the level he can play at. For myself, I've seen the level. When he was with me at Celtic he played against RB Leipzig and he was sensational. Really since that first 10 games at Celtic, he hasn't maintained a level of fitness and performance that I know he can."

So maybe it's workrate/application that's the problem? Either way, I really think there's a good player in there, and it's just a shame to see him languishing like this.

Its down to him really. 

On 31/08/2021 at 07:34, wokinghamfox said:

This has to be one of the most unfortunate tales of professional football woe of all time.

The lad could write a book on how his life has been totally down trodden by football. I do feel extremely sorry for him.

I’m sure he appreciates your sympathy, the lad is only on just under £10k a week, an absolute tragedy for him. Imagine not playing and trying to survive on that wage? ‘Oh the humanity!’ 🥴😂

He has had some injury issues that are well documented but i do wonder if there is some deep seated psychological problem with him, possibly related to his own perceptions of his physical fragility. Sometimes it doesn't work out for young foreign players who get homesick etc, but surely if that was the case he would have said something and looked for a move back to a Croatian club. He was very highly thought of and had just made the breakthrough into their international squad when we brought him in.

I really do not know, but there has to be something going on. BR has said that he knows he has the talent from his time at Celtic but fitness certainly seems to be a problem with him.

If BR and Kolo can't get atune out of him then i really don't know who could.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, indierich06 said:

Yes, but that analogy falls down a bit when we've started the season playing some hybrid full-back/midfielder at CB, without even having a recognised CB option on the bench. He was a regular starter for Celtic, they're not some pub team, players like Van Dyke have been regular starters there too and there have been plenty of players from Scotland who have made the switch to Premier League football over the past few years. Obviously Benkovic has had a bit of a torrid time since his loan spell there - but surely he's worth a spot on the bench at least, when we have no other recognised centre backs fit? 

...reminds me of Klopp when he came into Liverpool and was less than impressed with Sturridge!!!

He (Klopp) believed he was shirking as he commented that Sturridge needed to know if the pain he was feeling was real or in his head. When someone calls you out like that it leads to either you try to prove him wrong or you look for a way out and away from the situation.

As a manager you come to a new club and you do not know the players, but unless their are underlying problems between the manager and player, these things are done behind closed doors. Sturridge was never going to fit the style of a Klopp team and the work rate needed was obviously not going to be guaranteed to come from the player.

Benkovic and Rodgers may not see eye to eye regarding his situation but it surely cannot help calling someone out in public.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...reminds me of Klopp when he came into Liverpool and was less than impressed with Sturridge!!!

He (Klopp) believed he was shirking as he commented that Sturridge needed to know if the pain he was feeling was real or in his head. When someone calls you out like that it leads to either you try to prove him wrong or you look for a way out and away from the situation.

As a manager you come to a new club and you do not know the players, but unless their are underlying problems between the manager and player, these things are done behind closed doors. Sturridge was never going to fit the style of a Klopp team and the work rate needed was obviously not going to be guaranteed to come from the player.

Benkovic and Rodgers may not see eye to eye regarding his situation but it surely cannot help calling someone out in public.

I always read your posts with a Brian Blessed-esque internal voice 

• Haha 1

On 02/09/2021 at 04:08, vanity said:

The kid doesn't put in the work. He cannot be rewarded w gametime. It would damage the culture of the team that Rodgers has worked so hard to instill. 

Mate... Rodgers first choice right winger has got the work rate of a snail on JSA...