Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Ademola Lookman signs on loan

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Good debate this is. I still think Rodgers is torn on what he wants from a new right winger. Lookman is a very good back up to Barnes which I do think we needed and hopefully he gets a chance on the right, does well and overall the team is better for it. Long term I still think we will look for a left footed right winger but it would be a bonus if we have landed on a player in Lookman that can be a reliable player for us and bring 10+ goal contributions a season.

At the very least, we will have 2 good options for the left wing instead of only one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Good debate this is. I still think Rodgers is torn on what he wants from a new right winger. Lookman is a very good back up to Barnes which I do think we needed and hopefully he gets a chance on the right, does well and overall the team is better for it. Long term I still think we will look for a left footed right winger but it would be a bonus if we have landed on a player in Lookman that can be a reliable player for us and bring 10+ goal contributions a season.

Most definitely. 

• Like 1

Lookman should have the ability to play on the right, he isn’t going to displace Barnes so realistically if he wants to start he will have to move to the right side, however, I personally think it could benefit him….

A common complaint about him was his decision making in the final third, looking at his videos he spends a lot of time coming in off the left flank onto his preferred right foot. With him being right footed this could add an interesting dynamic to our attack if he settles.

In terms of thinking about what he wants to do his options are reduced to getting to the final third and looking to get the ball into box, he isn’t going to be coming in field unless he is as good on his left as he is his right. 

So we could end up with a situation where we have Barnes looking to come inside, and Lookman going on the outside and looking to penetrate the oppositions back line and look to bring the attackers in with late runs, I.E Riccy and Vardy against Norwich. 

I have a good gut feeling about him, I think he will adapt and move over to the right, and he will be able to cover on the left too.

And there’s no reason why He, Barnes, Vardy, Daka or Kelch whoever the attacking partners may be, that they can’t interchange with one another, ala Liverpool under Rodgers…. 

I just really hope he settles and he hits the ground running, it’s an amazing opportunity for the lad that he has seemingly got out of nowhere, take your chance kid.  

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Pliskin said:

Lookman should have the ability to play on the right, he isn’t going to displace Barnes so realistically if he wants to start he will have to move to the right side, however, I personally think it could benefit him….

A common complaint about him was his decision making in the final third, looking at his videos he spends a lot of time coming in off the left flank onto his preferred right foot. With him being right footed this could add an interesting dynamic to our attack if he settles.

In terms of thinking about what he wants to do his options are reduced to getting to the final third and looking to get the ball into box, he isn’t going to be coming in field unless he is as good on his left as he is his right. 

So we could end up with a situation where we have Barnes looking to come inside, and Lookman going on the outside and looking to penetrate the oppositions back line and look to bring the attackers in with late runs, I.E Riccy and Vardy against Norwich. 

I have a good gut feeling about him, I think he will adapt and move over to the right, and he will be able to cover on the left too.

And there’s no reason why He, Barnes, Vardy, Daka or Kelch whoever the attacking partners may be, that they can’t interchange with one another, ala Liverpool under Rodgers…. 

I just really hope he settles and he hits the ground running, it’s an amazing opportunity for the lad that he has seemingly got out of nowhere, take your chance kid.  

I think that's very fair assessment. If we're not careful, everyone takes it for read these days that wingers have got to play on their less natural side in order to cut inside, shoot and score. Yes, admittedly it's a great option. 

But, looking at our right hand side at the moment, we have either Albrighton, who for me does a great job , or Perez, who with the best will in the world, isn't going to beat a man with any trickery or pace or otherwise contribute too much on that side albeit he tries hard.

Lookman may not score a bundle from the right but, his trickery and pace stands a good chance as a weapon to set up any one of a number of our other  more recognised goalscorers. I think he will perhaps add that little bit more pace and fluidity on that side that's been missing and with Ricardo running from deep also, we have a different dynamic and potential threat on both sides of the pitch to keep the  opposition thinking.

Of course, he's not for example going to be the Marhez replacement that some crave but some also get a little obsessed with that, in reality you just don't get many Marhez's in a lifetime at any club let alone ours.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Plastik Man said:

I was most definitely surprised no-one else picked up on Lookman's favourite phrase. He must've used it 10 times in the interview on lcfc TV when he signed!

They have, if you can be arsed to go back through all 11 pages.

I bet he said it when he saw the training ground.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, FoxyLeon said:

How many 'exciting' signings do you want?

We've already had 2 in Soumare+Daka this window.

So because we have 2 i have to be happy with this signing? He may turn out decent for us but i am underwhelmed. Also I agree Soumate and Daka were exciting signings. Will be even better when we actually see them play

3 minutes ago, Lesterlad said:

I said for me. In my opinion it is underwhelming. But hope he changes my mind. I will support him whilst he wears our shirt regardless 

Underwhelming I can understand given the names we were linked with but I genuinely think he'll surprise a few, he's a tricky little tenacious bugger

14 minutes ago, MrsJohnMurphy said:

Underwhelming I can understand given the names we were linked with but I genuinely think he'll surprise a few, he's a tricky little tenacious bugger

I don't like comparisons but no way is Berardi twice as good as Lookman , maybe 10 percent better and I can live with that.

Edited by An Sionnach

44 minutes ago, Lesterlad said:

So because we have 2 i have to be happy with this signing? He may turn out decent for us but i am underwhelmed. Also I agree Soumate and Daka were exciting signings. Will be even better when we actually see them play

You don't have to be 'happy', but how about an alternative suggestion?

42 minutes ago, MrsJohnMurphy said:

Think I said somewhere else, but I liked Lookman from what I saw of him last season in a (poor) Fulham side.

I'm not disappointed by this signing, and if anybody can put an arm around a player to get the best out of him it's Rodgers.

As I’ve already said I’m well happy with this . For some reason I ended up watching a lot of Fulham when they came up and he tore  teams apart at times they just couldn’t handle him . One big thing he has which Rodgers like is work rate but  he also has unpredictability  . If and it’s a big if Rodgers can harness the two and point him in the right direction I think he could really surprise some people . 

• Like 1

Find Rogers comments interesting about soumare/Daka saying he gives new players 12 months to settle in. He can’t do that with a loan signing, how’s he help lookman settle and make an impact quickly. He could however mean a year to adapt to new country and I’ve got it totally wrong and wouldn’t impact lookman?

personally think he’s decent signing, pace and trickery in the 3 behind a striker we lack when Barnes isn’t playing, addresses that issue. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lesta2014 said:

Find Rogers comments interesting about soumare/Daka saying he gives new players 12 months to settle in. He can’t do that with a loan signing, how’s he help lookman settle and make an impact quickly. He could however mean a year to adapt to new country and I’ve got it totally wrong and wouldn’t impact lookman?

personally think he’s decent signing, pace and trickery in the 3 behind a striker we lack when Barnes isn’t playing, addresses that issue. 

Yea I think it’s the latter to be honest, I imagine it’s a massive upheaval adapting to a new style of football along with a new way of life whilst not speaking the language… Lookman has prem experience along with being from the country so I wouldn’t imagine the years bedding in applies to him, maybe it was what Under needed though