Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Ademola Lookman signs on loan

10 minutes ago, dbtcity said:

Yea I think it’s the latter to be honest, I imagine it’s a massive upheaval adapting to a new style of football along with a new way of life whilst not speaking the language… Lookman has prem experience along with being from the country so I wouldn’t imagine the years bedding in applies to him, maybe it was what Under needed though

.....not all players are the same, some hit the ground running, some fail to adapt!!!

This is just a Rodgers thing I would say, a way to justify his way of running the team. If we used his methods, as you said, Under would not have been an option, and any player coming from abroad would not have a "loan" period attached to them, as it would be twelve months before he plays them.

• Like 1

There was a recent poll about who was the player that we'd miss most, and I voted for Barnes. Yes, Tielemans is arguably our best player but we have Soumare and KDH who can deputise, while we have no one that can replace Barnes which was shown by the us having to switch to 3-5-2. So great we have a quality cover for him, as well as another option for the right wing. 

Worth also remembering we have five excellent full backs and, when they're all available (and know that's not happened yet!), that possibility of Ricardo playing at RW will be even higher. I think Rodgers will want to give it another go, with Ricardo having got his confidence back. 

Edited by lcfc_forever

First off I'm not a plaggy Leicester fan but I've just read an article from the mercury about lookman, quoting a Darren bent who played for us on loan?? Am I missing something, maybe I was in a drink & drug addled coma but am sure it was Marcus bent who played for us?? 🤷

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Manc Fox said:

First off I'm not a plaggy Leicester fan but I've just read an article from the mercury about lookman, quoting a Darren bent who played for us on loan?? Am I missing something, maybe I was in a drink & drug addled coma but am sure it was Marcus bent who played for us?? 🤷

Correct - was he even on loan? 

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

Marcus Bent? Yeah he was, how on earth we went down with Dickov, Bent and Ferdinand all scoring 10+ league goals for us is beyond me.

Muzzy was the league's top assister too.

Shambolic defending really.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Hahaha yeah it was nuts. Weren't we in the top 4 if games finished on 80 mins 😂😂😂😂

Haha yeah, I love bringing that stat out.

The problem is, when half your team are at an age where they're ready for bed at 4:30, it's going to cause some issues late on in games.

We had a decent team that would have been cracking if the average age was about 10 years younger.

• Haha 2

On 05/09/2021 at 16:13, sacreblueits442 said:

.....not all players are the same, some hit the ground running, some fail to adapt!!!

This is just a Rodgers thing I would say, a way to justify his way of running the team. If we used his methods, as you said, Under would not have been an option, and any player coming from abroad would not have a "loan" period attached to them, as it would be twelve months before he plays them.

Wonder if United will stick Ronaldo on the bench? Though in fairness, he did get a bit of experience here about 30 years ago. 

I seem to remember Drogba having an inauspicious first year and he turned out none too bad. However, if you don't at least try a player, how do you know he won't hit the ground running? How do they get any acclimatisation, against Grimsby away in a cup match? Daka managed 2 goals in the Champions League with a half decent side so got to be worth at least a half of football by now, wouldn't an appearance against a bottom of the table Norwich been a decent first shout?

44 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

The 2nd bit makes me think we may see a lot of switching between them during matches

We used to do this all the time when we had Albrighton and Mahrez in the team, but have done it very rarely under Rodgers.

The idea behind it in a classic continental 4231 is that you can use the inside forwards in two different ways: 

- Cut inside using their favoured foot to shoot whilst the fullback on their side of the pitch overlaps them for crossing and width.

- Use them as wingers, with these players using their preferred foot to cross with, and now the full back on their side underlaps instead.

In our case we still have players that have the same preferred foot, their right. But Lookman's left is probably a bit better. But as Rodgers says, the two players are quite different. Barnes is all about pace and power; he literally runs straight at players but often gets past them! Lookman is more of a finessed type of a player, looking to use tricks to beat his man, like Mahrez would.

But IMO it's great to see he will be used on the right hand side, as that's the part of the pitch we are lacking goal contributions from. Also for as much as Perez gets slated, other than his red card he's been OK this season so far, but would be much better in the middle. We could use him as the 10 instead of Maddison and have Lookman on the right in the short term. Although from Brendan's words, we could also use Lookman as the 10 as well!

50 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

The 2nd bit makes me think we may see a lot of switching between them during matches

I wouldn't mind this to be honest. At times we can become a little bit predictable and static - a fluid 3 with Barnes - Madders - Lookman may help us (providing Madders finds his form). It also works with Iheanacho in for Madders too. 

The comment that he can 'Play behind the strikers', reminds me of what he did with Sterling behind Suarez and Sturridge.

So he could play in a 433, either in Barnes's position or right wing, but also play behind a front two aswell like Rodgers did with Sterling, hence the 'behind the strikers' comment...The pluralisation.

But for Gerrard's slip, or the capitulation during 'Crystanbul', it would have won Liverpool the title, and he perhaps would have the adulation in Liverpool, Klopp rightly gets now.

..................Sterling

.......Suarez..........Sturridge

..................Lookman

......Iheancho.............Daka

Not a bad second option is it? To the usual 433 with Vardy/Barnes and one of Perez/Albrighton.

• Like 1