Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Ademola Lookman signs on loan

If Lookman is mainly Barnes understudy and not a genuine contender to play on the right I do wonder whether this will limit Barnes playing time and output. We all assumed Barnes will kick on even further this season but a fair amount of his goals and assists come later on in games and I can well see him being a standard Rodgers sub at 60/70 mins. Hopefully I'm wrong. 

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

If Lookman is mainly Barnes understudy and not a genuine contender to play on the right I do wonder whether this will limit Barnes playing time and output. We all assumed Barnes will kick on even further this season but a fair amount of his goals and assists come later on in games and I can well see him being a standard Rodgers sub at 60/70 mins. Hopefully I'm wrong. 

...Barnes struggling to do the 90 minutes, but that will be a short lived thing!!!

Looks like he (Rodgers) likes the versatility of Lookman and it now gives him great options.

Lookman will  be understudy to the three behind Vardy and will be a well used sub to run at defences in the last 20 minutes. 

The funny thing is (he who should not be named), will retain his place on the team list.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FoxyLeon said:

The comment that he can 'Play behind the strikers', reminds me of what he did with Sterling behind Suarez and Sturridge.

So he could play in a 433, either in Barnes's position or right wing, but also play behind a front two aswell like Rodgers did with Sterling, hence the 'behind the strikers' comment...The pluralisation.

But for Gerrard's slip, or the capitulation during 'Crystanbul', it would have won Liverpool the title, and he perhaps would have the adulation in Liverpool, Klopp rightly gets now.

..................Sterling

.......Suarez..........Sturridge

..................Lookman

......Iheancho.............Daka

Not a bad second option is it? To the usual 433 with Vardy/Barnes and one of Perez/Albrighton.

lol there’s no way in a million years we play this system 

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Until Barnes is actually playing well again, I have no problem with this. I imagine once he is back in form he is probably less likely to be subbed off at '60

16 hours ago, TJB-fox said:

lol there’s no way in a million years we play this system 

There's no way in a million years we play the same system Rodgers played for the second half of last season?

Or the system he played at Liverpool?

It's not a coincidence Rodgers signed Castagne/Vestegaard, two players who have played their best football in a 3 CB system.

Rodgers comment about Lookman being able to play 'behind the strikers' wasn't just an accidental pluralisation. 

With Vestegaard/Evans/Justin back, Rodgers will be able to play a back 3.

2 hours ago, FoxyLeon said:

There's no way in a million years we play the same system Rodgers played for the second half of last season?

Or the system he played at Liverpool?

It's not a coincidence Rodgers signed Castagne/Vestegaard, two players who have played their best football in a 3 CB system.

Rodgers comment about Lookman being able to play 'behind the strikers' wasn't just an accidental pluralisation. 

With Vestegaard/Evans/Justin back, Rodgers will be able to play a back 3.

That lineup you’ve just listed, Lookman in the ‘Firmino’ role behind Daka and Iheanacho, there’s no way we play it. We won’t play that exact lineup. That’s what I meant 

Decent cameo performance. Probably better than Barnes in the 25 minutes that he had.

To me it seems like he will be our Demarai Gray replacement; IE to come on against tiring legs to run at defenders and cause them problems. He did both of those things and against Man City no less, so that's very promising indeed.

That he came on for Barnes rather than Albrighton shows you that he was never signed to be our right winger, but to offer rotation with Barnes. I think that looks like a good bet because Harvey was off his game today, missing a great opportunity, so at least now we can keep the same style of play when that happens. And who knows, Berradi was linked again so maybe he comes in next summer or even in the winter window.

• Like 3

On 09/09/2021 at 17:04, FoxyLeon said:

The comment that he can 'Play behind the strikers', reminds me of what he did with Sterling behind Suarez and Sturridge.

So he could play in a 433, either in Barnes's position or right wing, but also play behind a front two aswell like Rodgers did with Sterling, hence the 'behind the strikers' comment...The pluralisation.

But for Gerrard's slip, or the capitulation during 'Crystanbul', it would have won Liverpool the title, and he perhaps would have the adulation in Liverpool, Klopp rightly gets now.

..................Sterling

.......Suarez..........Sturridge

..................Lookman

......Iheancho.............Daka

Not a bad second option is it? To the usual 433 with Vardy/Barnes and one of Perez/Albrighton.

Unfortunately he didn't win it though and when Suarez left, it all went tits up and he got sacked and nobody wanted him. The question is, was it the quality of players he inherited that got him into that nearly win situation despite his management or was it his influence that got them there? If it was the latter, it dissipated very quickly for some reason. 

4 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

Unfortunately he didn't win it though and when Suarez left, it all went tits up and he got sacked and nobody wanted him. The question is, was it the quality of players he inherited that got him into that nearly win situation despite his management or was it his influence that got them there? If it was the latter, it dissipated very quickly for some reason. 

Its always both players and the manager who create that kind of achivement and excellence in a team. Rodgers also lost Sturridge(injury) and Suarez(Barca)for the next(champions league) season as well. I think thats like 55 goals from the both of them that were lost without being replaced. The fact that he got them to sixth that year was a miracle.

Rodgers has to get this kid playing. Okay, Under last season wasn't amazing, and maybe Lookman won't be consistently good either, but surely it beats the option of shoehorning slow, predictable players out wide like Perez, Albrighton and Maddison. The kid has the pace to take on his defender but also the brain to play inside for Ricardo. If we go to the next League match and Lookman isn't playing, I'm not sure what Rodgers is thinking.