Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Ademola Lookman signs on loan

18 minutes ago, Scotch said:

If he wasn't English, you'd probably be right but he is so closer to £20m would be the fee as it stands. Obviously dealing the closer he gets to his contract ending. 

German clubs were quite savvy in buying young England players knowing that England is where the money is and they will eventually come calling for their young talent back to meet homegrown criteria. 

He's becoming a Nigerian national soon 🔜 so don't know if that changes things 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Scotch said:

If he wasn't English, you'd probably be right but he is so closer to £20m would be the fee as it stands. Obviously dealing the closer he gets to his contract ending. 

German clubs were quite savvy in buying young England players knowing that England is where the money is and they will eventually come calling for their young talent back to meet homegrown criteria. 

I think you're right but I just don't think he's worth that. IF Barradi for example is a much better player, then just imo if as I saw somewhere that he's 30-35m then he'd be the one for me. However  there's been so many players in this position that have appeared to be a good thing but turn out to be a false dawn. It's very difficult to know.

35 minutes ago, turlo said:

Would love to know how high up on the recruitment wish list Lookman was at the start of the summer. Did we go for him after we missed out on our main targets or was he one of our main targets all along and waited until the end of the window to get him on a loan/cheaper price. 

Yes, and whether he was chosen by our usual recruitment team or by Rodgers like Perez and Vestergaard. It's strange that Under hardly got any playing time by Rodgers who was a club recruitment, yet Lookman is getting quite a bit and I wouldn't say he was any better. 

5 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

I think you're right but I just don't think he's worth that. IF Barradi for example is a much better player, then just imo if as I saw somewhere that he's 30-35m then he'd be the one for me. However  there's been so many players in this position that have appeared to be a good thing but turn out to be a false dawn. It's very difficult to know.

I think your right in that Lookman may not be the answer for starting 11 but he works hard enough and gets in enough positions to score so would be a valuable addition to the squad. £10m like you suggested would be a snip. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Overlooked in this speculation is that some of them would have had no intention of moving to Leicester. For a long time it was Covid central. We have to accept that location is a factor in attracting players.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scotch said:

I think your right in that Lookman may not be the answer for starting 11 but he works hard enough and gets in enough positions to score so would be a valuable addition to the squad. £10m like you suggested would be a snip. 

I think we need to shed a few squad players before we sign any more. It's not even the 10m (in reality I suspect it would be nearer 20m), it's the x amount of years of x thousands of pounds a week that can be a  drain on a club. We have a number of players now that nobody would realistically want to pay the wages they are being paid here and realistically, they're not going to leave to loose money (can't blame them).

2 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

Overlooked in this speculation is that some of them would have had no intention of moving to Leicester. For a long time it was Covid central. We have to accept that location is a factor in attracting players.

Yes, absolutely agree. You can't buy what someone doesn't want to sell or someone that doesn't want to come. When people moan about not signing certain players, we never actually know who we have actually approached and been refused. I don't always think it's as some think, a lack of ambition. 

2 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

Yes, and whether he was chosen by our usual recruitment team or by Rodgers like Perez and Vestergaard. It's strange that Under hardly got any playing time by Rodgers who was a club recruitment, yet Lookman is getting quite a bit and I wouldn't say he was any better. 

I can only judge from the games and not what happens behind the scenes or in training but I thought Under looked really good when he first came, a couple of great assists and probably tried too hard but never had the run of games Lookman has had.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, messerschmitt said:

I can only judge from the games and not what happens behind the scenes or in training but I thought Under looked really good when he first came, a couple of great assists and probably tried too hard but never had the run of games Lookman has had.

My thoughts entirely, it always seemed a strange one as he did on the face of it appear that he had something about him. I just put it down to things behind the scenes that we're never likely to get to know about. Then again, I did and still do get puzzled about the treatment of Iheanacho. Not fancied or trusted at all and then seemingly only played out of desperation, then the rest is history. Now, yet again, he can't get near a game and must by now be very frustrated I would think. There are times when things just don't seem to add up regarding a reluctance to play some players yet play others out of position. There again, I'm easily confused 😕 🤣

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

My thoughts entirely, it always seemed a strange one as he did on the face of it appear that he had something about him. I just put it down to things behind the scenes that we're never likely to get to know about. Then again, I did and still do get puzzled about the treatment of Iheanacho. Not fancied or trusted at all and then seemingly only played out of desperation, then the rest is history. Now, yet again, he can't get near a game and must by now be very frustrated I would think. There are times when things just don't seem to add up regarding a reluctance to play some players yet play others out of position. There again, I'm easily confused 😕 🤣

I like Lookman, and would be happy to have him on a permanent deal. I want all of our players to succeed, and was thrilled when Iheanacho went on his run. However, I find it hard to second guess the manager: Iheanacho has produced more "WTF are you doing?" moments for me in a stadium then any other player currently in the squad (This includes Vestergaard, who I know what he is doing, but he is doing it slowly). Lookman has sometimes been anonymous in games, but never a liability.

37 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Nacho has a problem in that he isn't an out and out striker, isn't really a number 10 and doesn't have the pace to play wide so requires a system change in order to play him, I still think we should try to cash in on him for that reason

1 hour ago, volpeazzurro said:

I think we need to shed a few squad players before we sign any more. It's not even the 10m (in reality I suspect it would be nearer 20m), it's the x amount of years of x thousands of pounds a week that can be a  drain on a club. We have a number of players now that nobody would realistically want to pay the wages they are being paid here and realistically, they're not going to leave to loose money (can't blame them).

Sorry not overly impressed with him. His career so far may indicate he struggles to be a consistent performer and signing permantely  may prove to be another Mendy or Benkovic.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Nacho has a problem in that he isn't an out and out striker, isn't really a number 10 and doesn't have the pace to play wide so requires a system change in order to play him, I still think we should try to cash in on him for that reason

It's an odd one. 

He likes to have support around him and yet he's very effective at holding up the ball and creating goals from nothing. His footwork, touch and finishing can be dazzling - or it can be Sunday League level. His positional play is either perfect or he's ambling anonymously outside play. 

He seems to me to be more effective against lower league opposition - but I recall him as somewhat of a 'supersub' at Man City, and during the last few months of last season, he reminded me of the on-form Benteke all those years ago at Villa. 

First player to score a VAR assisted goal in the UK. 

2 hours ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

I like Lookman, and would be happy to have him on a permanent deal. I want all of our players to succeed, and was thrilled when Iheanacho went on his run. However, I find it hard to second guess the manager: Iheanacho has produced more "WTF are you doing?" moments for me in a stadium then any other player currently in the squad (This includes Vestergaard, who I know what he is doing, but he is doing it slowly). Lookman has sometimes been anonymous in games, but never a liability.

I don't think you can be too much of a liability up front when you score the amount of goals he did last season, on the contrary, without him we wouldn't have finished 5th but probably less than mid table! Anonymity in games is rarely a good thing and more the sign of a bit player or squad cover. Of course, we need those also but around 20m for a squad player is a bit rich for Leicester City, we already have a 30m one in Perez. What we need are players as good or better than what we have already. 

2 hours ago, messerschmitt said:

...different personalities, Lookman's willingness to carry our his instructions and Under overplaying his hand, trying too hard to show what he can do and failing to realise he was part of something else.