Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Ademola Lookman signs on loan

4 hours ago, Jimmy said:

I don't know why he and Barnes don't swap wings during the game, Barnes could do just as well down the right for a short spell in a match

I’ve never seen Barnes ever play on the right, seems odd it’s never even been considered? He even played as a CAM at West Brom and looked very good there

Agree with most comments. 

It annoyed me that at times he didn't look to run in behind down the wing. Frustrating because, especially in 2nd half, Amartey would have acres of space to run into, while Lookman just hugged the touchline and therefore restricted options for Amartey, causing him to stop or look inside. On occasion there definitely was the ball on for Amartey to play over the top or through the defence for Lookman to get in behind. 

9 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

Lookman has been decent for us but if we're serious about aiming higher then we need to find better.

Someone who offers a real threat at corners and free kicks. Coupled with the ability to defend also if needed.

You won’t find many wingers that are a threat at free kicks and corners. Mahrez, Bowen, Sancho, Rashford, Salah, Mane, Son, Barnes, ASM just off the top of my head…. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Simultaneously managed to have a good game and a frustrating game

2 assists and was involved in another, yet didn’t seem to be able to control the ball properly at all all game

This is the problem for me, lacks control when defenders tight to him, crossing could be better.  clearly has some ability, but I don't think he's a buy 

34 minutes ago, Bert said:

You won’t find many wingers that are a threat at free kicks and corners. Mahrez, Bowen, Sancho, Rashford, Salah, Mane, Son, Barnes, ASM just off the top of my head…. 

That's a fair comment, but you know what I mean, someone who offers more nuisance  value at corners as well as the odd goal.

We need to beef up the team a little while adding quality.

Those who read the financial results yesterday will understand we are not in the market for a £70 million pound Sancho on over 200 grand a week. Lookman will cost a quarter of that and at most a third of the salary. Over a season he will almost certainly be a vastly more cost effective choice.

It's all about the price. But let's be clear he clearly is Prem level and his selling club will know that. So unless his contract has run down they will want  £15mil plus I'd say. I think he can also improve as he had undoubted technical ability. But his body language sometimes speaks of a player not fully convinced of his own ability. Less than 20 and I'd buy

Would be a good squad player. Worth noting that he is much more effective on the left. Not seen anyone suggesting he should be signed as our first choice RW in the summer. 

But as a fairly versatile, rotation option for Barnes, he would be perfect, and seems to have settled in well with the rest of the squad. Would help prevent burnout for Barnes as well and risk of injury to him as we saw last season. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MPH said:

He’s not going to be a Mahrez for us. Very few will be.  If people can not judge every right sided player by that standard then things will go a lot smoother. He’s done well and for the money being touted, he’ll be a fine addition.

I would hazard a guess that absolutely no one is ever going to be another Mahrez for us never mind very few. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

Those who read the financial results yesterday will understand we are not in the market for a £70 million pound Sancho on over 200 grand a week. Lookman will cost a quarter of that and at most a third of the salary. Over a season he will almost certainly be a vastly more cost effective choice.

Isn't this the Dilemma. If we want to make top 6 we need better players. Do we buy them or make them ourselves with the ups and downs along the way.

Given our finances option 2 seems the most likely.

Then again a clear out of the fringe players in the squad should bring in close to 100 Mil leaving us with the room and funds to start again .

6 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

Isn't this the Dilemma. If we want to make top 6 we need better players. Do we buy them or make them ourselves with the ups and downs along the way.

Given our finances option 2 seems the most likely.

Then again a clear out of the fringe players in the squad should bring in close to 100 Mil leaving us with the room and funds to start again .

The problem is our fringe players are very well paid and while under contract they will go nowhere for less money. If any interested club is going to match their pay then they will give us next to nowt for them. Anyway they wouldn't want to cause trouble by paying them more than their current players. The only players we seem to be able to sell for big money are our star players and in doing so we probably weaken our squad.

2 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

The problem is our fringe players are very well paid and while under contract they will go nowhere for less money. If any interested club is going to match their pay then they will give us next to nowt for them. Anyway they wouldn't want to cause trouble by paying them more than their current players. The only players we seem to be able to sell for big money are our star players and in doing so we probably weaken our squad.

Correct, What that should tell us though, is that our wage structure is wrong. 

We should be paying smaller salaries with bigger bonuses.

• Like 1

One thing I would note, is that Lookman is a player that has always shown promise and has that little bit of class. He does not always have consistency but he's an upgrade on Gray imo. 
It's worth mentioning just how average this season has been for us, I fully expect if we signed Lookman in Rodgers first 12 months, he would have been a completely different player. If we can get him for 20m I'd take it and ship out Perez to fund it. The way we are playing right now, I'm trying not to judge AL.