Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Ademola Lookman signs on loan

I love his tenacity but today there was something missing. He seemed to get annoyed at Barnes as Barnes has become very greedy with the ball. Then the time where he came away with the ball he could have slid Barnes through but decided against it, maybe because he was still annoyed. 

I like him and think we should sign him, decision making was a bit off when he had a chance on the counter but could be due to lack of confidence as was pointed out in the match thread.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I still think back to the Randers home match where Brendan was barking orders at him and Lookman was completely blanking the gaffer. Could see Rogers getting really visibly pissed about it. Since then,he's not started much. 

He's had decent spells (Liverpool goal springs to mind!) but i don't think he strongly features in plans. Very interesting to see if he starts today.

Has ability to go by defenders better than anyone bar Barnes, final ball (Thursday for example) can let him down, but at 15 mill think that is about right. He will get better over the next five years, and not sure there is much better for that kind of money.

Best I can say, if he starts today, he is one player who you don’t need to worry about giving 100% for the team, and is a potential match winner.

Its a yes from me….

I like him, there's definitely players who might be better such as Brennan Johnson but we know Lookman fits our club and is a good back up left winger but he's not going to be our main right winger long term.

If he doesn't start today then I think the writing is on the wall.

• Like 1

It depends what funds we have available. He’s certainly worth having as a second in line squad player to have to play on the left when Barnes needs resting. Purchasing him and spending funds at the expense of right sided left footed player or buying him as a utility player will only ruin him and his career and will end up a pointless signing.

• Like 3

Players like Marhez, Kante and Vardy are one offs and virtually impossible to be replace, it would therefore be pretty unfair to judge any subsequent player by their standards.

However, in the case of the right wing slot, Lookman isn't really the answer, he's simply not good enough fora number of reasons. He is however better on the left, but not as good as Barnes so, basically we have another squad player, however decent he may be. To improve, we need first team starters in particular positions and if we can't afford ready-made's, we need prospects that are very likely to get there, not more make weights, Lookman isn't going to turn into that right sided player.

Looking at the amount of money we've roughly spent in previous summers on top of sales, we therefore can't really afford the 10-20m plus wages on another make weight in the shape of Lookman when we for one, definitely need another right sided player let alone anyone else. 

If we get 40m for Tielemans, our usual expenditure would be roughly another 20m added to that. 60m for a winger, possibly a Tielemans replacement and a centre half isn't going to leave much for a make weight. In an ideal world we'd get a bit of money for Perez and Vestergaard but I don't forsee any takers for them at the wages they'd expect. 

• Like 3

He's played too much (and ahead of Perez) for Brendan to not really rate him. I am sure Sharky coming in ahead of him has been about rotation and wanting a bit extra defensively when we knew we had tricky matches ahead, rather than it reflecting a drop of confidence in him. Confident he will start today. Lookman to come in at the end of the season and most likely Perez to move on. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rachhere said:

He's played too much (and ahead of Perez) for Brendan to not really rate him. I am sure Sharky coming in ahead of him has been about rotation and wanting a bit extra defensively when we knew we had tricky matches ahead, rather than it reflecting a drop of confidence in him. Confident he will start today. Lookman to come in at the end of the season and most likely Perez to move on. 

You're in for a disappointment then....

I think he's a decent player but we need better if we are serious about competing in the top half regularly.

Are people seriously suggesting we spend 40 to 50 million. Fee + Salary over a 4 or 5 yr contract.

With little chance of any upside.

I don't think so.

I'd sooner use a development player if needed than waste that kind of money.

We're not Man Utd.

32 minutes ago, Nick said:

It depends what funds we have available. He’s certainly worth having as a second in line squad player to have to play on the left when Barnes needs resting. Purchasing him and spending funds at the expense of right sided left footed player or buying him as a utility player will only ruin him and his career and will end up a pointless signing.

This 100%.

Lookman has done well this season and would be a great addition to our squad. 

But how often has it been said on here our signings should improve the first 11? 

And come the summer we know other positions are more of a priority. The ubiquitous left-sided right winger. A centre back (or 2!), and a central midfielder.

If we can afford all those and still pick up Lookman then fine. But if not then you'd have to question the logic in signing him, no matter how well he fits in? 

• Like 1