Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Uefa to allow away fans at European club competition fixtures from next week

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58472800

Uefa has lifted a ban on away fans attending European club matches from next week.

Fans will be allowed to attend away games in the Champions League, Europa League and Europa Conference League.

However, attendance remains subject to national government coronavirus restrictions in host countries.

The change will affect English and Scottish clubs who are preparing for away games in European competition group stages, which begin next week.

"Considering the different rules and regulations applicable across the Uefa member association territories, it was decided to leave any decision with regards to spectators to the relevant competent authorities," Uefa said in a statement.

Away fans have not been allowed to attend European competition since the start of the pandemic, with only a limited number allowed at the Champions League and Europa League finals in May.

There has also been a ban on away fans for all qualifying rounds of European competition so far this season.

The restrictions in place locally vary considerably. For example, Sweden, where Chelsea travel to play Malmo on 2 November, currently forbids all non-essential travel from the UK, as does the Netherlands, where Vitesse Arnhem host Spurs on 21 October.

In contrast, Liverpool fans travelling to Portugal for the match against Porto on 28 September just need to show proof of vaccination, or a PCR or antigen Covid-19 test.

France, where Manchester City face Paris St-Germain on the same evening, bans non-essential travel from the UK for people who are not fully vaccinated and requires fully vaccinated travellers to complete a 'sworn statement' form.

Spain, where Celtic play Real Betis in the Europa League on 16 September, requires all arrivals from the UK to present a pre-travel declaration form and either a negative Covid test or proof of vaccination.

In addition, UK government restrictions remain in place on travellers returning from amber-list countries.

Uefa also confirmed in its statement that players who have been fully vaccinated or have recovered from Covid-19 will no longer need to be tested in order to play in its competitions.

However, players may still need to be tested to enter countries for matches depending on government restrictions in those places.

3 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

If the charity shield is anything to go by, City will make things as awkward as possible for punters to travel. The grandmas (who won't want to go anywhere more foreign than Gorlestone)  will have their priority ringfenced for all days until 18 hours before the match,

Don't you go dissing Grannies, you'll be one yerself one day. 

38 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

If the charity shield is anything to go by, City will make things as awkward as possible for punters to travel. The grandmas (who won't want to go anywhere more foreign than Gorlestone)  will have their priority ringfenced for all days until 18 hours before the match,

Only over 60's who have been double jabbed should be allowed to go Europa league away games.

That's my ticket & cheap flight guaranteed.

Do they sell Werthers in Warsaw & Naples?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, AjcW said:

Does this mean Napoli fans allowed here too? 

****ing hope so or we're going to struggle to get 20k in lol 

They are if “relevant competent authorities” allow it, I don’t see it happening due the the short turnaround, if Napoli fans are not coming here, will Napoli be happy accommodating away fans on the return fixture? 

2 hours ago, jammie82uk said:

They are if “relevant competent authorities” allow it, I don’t see it happening due the the short turnaround, if Napoli fans are not coming here, will Napoli be happy accommodating away fans on the return fixture? 

This is the issue really. Could end up with a right mess with tit for tat responses.

Can’t really see what grounds LCFC would have to deny entry to Napoli fans though myself. 

Italians are allowed to travel to England, and UEFA have lifted their ban. 

5 minutes ago, leicesterseddon said:

This is the issue really. Could end up with a right mess with tit for tat responses.

Can’t really see what grounds LCFC would have to deny entry to Napoli fans though myself. 

Security? Not sure Leicestershire OB are going to be keen putting together a plan for this fixture with a weeks notice lol

Edited by Stuntman_Mike

1 minute ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Tbf City only have to offer 1600 in accordance with the rules. I think you’ll find the away end for Napoli will be predominantly made up of UK based fans 

Plenty from Bedford, I'd imagine. 

Huge population, biggest outside of italy I believe, and most originate from the South of Italy. 

Not many of them, that I know, are very fond of Juve or the Milan clubs😄

11 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Tbf City only have to offer 1600 in accordance with the rules. I think you’ll find the away end for Napoli will be predominantly made up of UK based fans 

I think if we are it will be about 2400 we offer as M1 is already available to home fans

1 hour ago, leicesterseddon said:

Being an arsehole to the away team is so counterproductive. It's a privilege to play these teams. We are very much the gauche dilettante and rolling out the red carpet would wonderfully enhance our rep. 

I recall John Elsom being a twat v Red Star. It was a chance for us to set our stall.out and distance ourselves from  governmental politicking (ie NATO bombing the shite out of belgrade) ...and  nothing to do with the man on the street. Red Star officials invited him over pre fixture to show him their hospitality ...he repaid it by whining like a baby to uefa that the game needed to be played on a neutral venue. I felt we got our comeuppance in losing

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Why Bedford do you know?

Many were POW and were kept near Bedford. 

After the second World War, many were asked to remain and start a new life in Bedford and work at Stewartby brickworks, which was owned by the London brick company. 

Great people and bring a lot to the town apart from being annoying cnuts during international football tournaments 😄😄

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Hollyfox said:

Many were POW and were kept near Bedford. 

After the second World War, many were asked to remain and start a new life in Bedford and work at Stewartby brickworks, which was owned by the London brick company. 

Great people and bring a lot to the town apart from being annoying cnuts during international football tournaments 😄😄

As a kid my dad used to wander down the lane and talk to the Italian POWs working in the fields.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Vlad the Fox said:

As a kid my dad used to wander down the lane and talk to the Italian POWs working in the fields.

The reason I came about was because my grandad left Braunstone in the 1920's and moved to Bedford to work at Allen's that made the engines for Rolls Royce, which went into Spitfires etc, I believe. 

The Luftwaffe wanted that factory flattened 

• Like 1