Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

Leicester 0- Man City 1 Post match thread.

Hang on…. WTF why was Vestergaard subbed?  Conceded within seconds…. I can’t profess to be a tactical mastermind, but I thought it was football manager 101 that you didn’t sub a performing centre half…

I’m generally fairly level headed after a match…. But I feel thoroughly cheesed off after this…. We were worth a point 

Edited by Wolfox

4 hours ago, phoneticerror said:

He’s only 6 so I kinda get it with so many full grown men shouting over at us. My mistake for thinking he could handle it.

4 hours ago, Raj said:

I took my 6 year old a few years ago v Wolves and we whipped them.

He cried everytime we scored because of the noise. I've not taken him again although hes desperate to go, so will wait for a home cup game!

I have two boys, 10 and 8. Eldest hates football and is on the autism spectrum and the young'un loves football and cheers every kick. But the noise was an issue -- I bought some Ear Defenders and they really seem to do the trick. The elder just brings a book to read while we watch the game and isn't bothered with the shouting.

Highly recommend. Around £10 each on Amazon.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

Hang on…. WTF why was Vestergaard subbed?  Conceded within seconds…. I can’t profess to be a tactical mastermind, but I thought it was football manager 101 that you didn’t sub a performing centre half…

I’m generally fairly level headed after a match…. But I feel thoroughly cheesed off after this…. We were worth a point 

Rodgers had said prematch that neither Vestergaard or Evans could last a full 90 minutes. It was quite telling that we conceded 30 seconds after Evan came on due to mistakes at the back. Not telling on Evans, just it reaffirmed why you don’t sub central defenders generally.

13 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

Is knee was heavily strapped at the end of the game, it was clear that the plan was give Vestergaard about an hour then being Evans on.

23 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

That was my immediate reaction at the time. Then on reflection - he was a bit knackered. It wasn't tactical. I don't think any manager in his right mind would sub a CB at 0-0 unless it was fitness related.

25 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

Was clearly planned as he isn’t fit

If Man City were 4 up by half time I don't think we could have had any complaints really. The amount of last ditch blocks and Schmeichel saves was unreal. That said, I think that says more about the level that Man City are playing at currently. Easy to see why they'd hit 5 in their two previous fixtures.

Much better second half when we actually had a go instead of trying to sit in and block the passing lanes. Just a shame that when we did get possession we had a propensity to turn it over a bit too cheaply.

One thing that was doing my head in was Barnes' reluctance to knock it and run, certainly in the first half. It was so easy for Man City to keep their defensive shape knowing everything is in front of them. Albrighton hasn't got the legs to go to the byline on the other side so would have liked to have seen Barnes have a go, even if Walker is a top (and probably as quick) full back. At least this may have pulled some gaps in their defence.

Lookman I thought had a terrific cameo and I would like to see him start against Napoli.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jim5000 said:

Rodgers had said prematch that neither Vestergaard or Evans could last a full 90 minutes. It was quite telling that we conceded 30 seconds after Evan came on due to mistakes at the back. Not telling on Evans, just it reaffirmed why you don’t sub central defenders generally.

1 hour ago, Pliskin said:

Is knee was heavily strapped at the end of the game, it was clear that the plan was give Vestergaard about an hour then being Evans on.

49 minutes ago, trabuch said:

That was my immediate reaction at the time. Then on reflection - he was a bit knackered. It wasn't tactical. I don't think any manager in his right mind would sub a CB at 0-0 unless it was fitness related.

48 minutes ago, Cecchini1976 said:

Was clearly planned as he isn’t fit

Ok…. Thanks for the responses…. When I saw Evans trotting on I assumed it would be for Barnes to sure up  our defence for a point…

as @jim5000 said…. Don’t sub a centre half!!  Hindsight always 20/20 though 

I was impressed with Vestergaard…. A shame he didn’t see out the game

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SemperEadem said:

Thought we looked unfit

....interesting take on this....!!!

we have looked under cooked in our games so far this season and it might be Rodgers dropping the level on intensity so as come the end of the season we still have something in the tank.

Cloughie used to play his team into fitness and always got stronger as the season wore on, we might be going down that road.

1 hour ago, Incognito said:

If Man City were 4 up by half time I don't think we could have had any complaints really. The amount of last ditch blocks and Schmeichel saves was unreal. That said, I think that says more about the level that Man City are playing at currently. Easy to see why they'd hit 5 in their two previous fixtures.

Much better second half when we actually had a go instead of trying to sit in and block the passing lanes. Just a shame that when we did get possession we had a propensity to turn it over a bit too cheaply.

One thing that was doing my head in was Barnes' reluctance to knock it and run, certainly in the first half. It was so easy for Man City to keep their defensive shape knowing everything is in front of them. Albrighton hasn't got the legs to go to the byline on the other side so would have liked to have seen Barnes have a go, even if Walker is a top (and probably as quick) full back. At least this may have pulled some gaps in their defence.

Lookman I thought had a terrific cameo and I would like to see him start against Napoli.

....Walker was showing him down the line but Barnes did not fancy the footrace so came inside instead!!!

The way round that would be a fullback on the overlap to get behind Walker, Barnes coming inside made himself easier to read. Barnes just hasn't got the finesse to his game at the moment and there is a confidence issue, not unlike when he first came into the first team. Plenty of time for him to come good, it all augers well for the rest of the season.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, escape2victory said:

This 4-2-3-1 should get the best out of Maddison and Barnes, but when they are not producing, it’s time to change it.

I think it’s about time we built this team around our best player, Tielemans. In a 2 with Ndidi he has so much running and defending to do, we don’t always see the best of him. I’d have Soumare or KDH in alongside Tielemans and Ndidi, freeing Tielemans up to have less defensive duties and to really dictate the game

Nah. Takes another attacker out the game. 

The goal came because Kasparov passed short and we lost the ball he does this all the time , just wack it up field now and again. 
maddison and Marc can’t start anymore , James has lost his ability to shield the ball he looks slow and lost when he gets the ball . Poor Marc I love him but he has lost all his pace , time to give others who 

nd 

4 hours ago, Incognito said:

They were poor. Most overrated team in the country 

Positives for me: terrific defensive blocks and Kaspar's reaction saves, Vestergard, Ndidi, Tielemans, Vardy and all the subs.  

Negatives: Kaspar's distribution, Albrighton, Maddison, Barnes, team selection, subs on too late. 

On another day we could have shithoused a draw or even a win, but can't really complain about losing.  Most frustrating thing for me is the team selection given we have options and the

7 hours ago, Incognito said:

Walker is quick.  Barnes knock and run would be less successful

One of the differences between the two teams is the way Man City swarm as soon as they lose the ball. They are desperate to get it back.

Now I thought Maddy played much better yesterday, but when he’s knocked to the ground he has a routine. Sits up, lifts arms to the heavens, gets up slowly, trots off. Pep wouldn’t have it. On your feet straight away and get back in the game or you’re dropped. 

I suspect it’s one of the differences between being good (us) and outstanding (them)

• Like 1

Surely maddison needs some time out.

Radio Leicesters piper was clear about this.

All the talk was about the lateness of the subs and maddisons lack of contribution... so  Ian Springer asks brendan about neither.   Springer has an opportunity to pose the questions on behalf of lcfc fans... but he just brown noses.  Nb bbc  get someone who will ask the right questions.

Edited by foxinsocks
  • Like 1