Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Napoli (H) pre match - 16 Sep

3 hours ago, NaijaFox said:

Again, they’re good team.
Just not a great team (despite the subjective rankings), the sort of which we should be playing defensively at home and relying on counter-attacks.

By any more or less objective measure they’re certainly better than us.  They finished strong last season and have started out like a locomotive this season.  Or are we arguing that Serie A is a farmers league, just like anything that isn’t the PL?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Webbo said:

They finished 5th last year, same as us and the Premier league is the stronger league. Not sure which objective measure you're using. 

Power rankings (computer generated), form, the eye test.  We’ve been frankly poor apart from one half against Wolves, and they’ve dominated every time out.

None of this is to say they’re unbeatable, but you have to approach this with an honest assessment of the level of the opposition and set up to deal with what they are - a technically gifted, experienced side from an elite league playing outstanding football.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

By any more or less objective measure they’re certainly better than us.  They finished strong last season and have started out like a locomotive this season.  Or are we arguing that Serie A is a farmers league, just like anything that isn’t the PL?

I have PERSONALLY watched Napoli regularly since Victor Osimhen became their record signing.

They are a good team, but not the sort of team (like Man City or Liverpool) that should cause us to play defensively and rely solely on counter-attacks.

Anyway, Thursday is not that far off.

Edited by NaijaFox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

Maybe it’s possible that Serie A could be better than ‘a farmers league’ and yet still not quite as strong as the Premier League.

• Like 2

If Evans is fit enough to play and we have a back 4 that includes a fit Evans and Ricardo. 
Ndidi and Tielemans in front of them, the rest of the team is interchangeable and we are strong whoever comes in.

We, with a full strength team are better than Napoli, anyone who says different is looking at the league table without watching Napoli play.

Two of the three sides they’ve beater will be in the bottom six come the end of the season and they beat a poor Juventus side on the weekend.

Think how Spurs started the PL season.

If we play as well as we can, I’m going 3-0 win.

• Haha 1

Interesting to see the opposition view to this game from their forums:

https://tifosidelnapoli.forumfree.it/?t=78676493

Honestly, even if we had arrived at this match in the best physical condition and without injuries, I believe that this is the typical away game of the European Cup with the only serious rival in the group, which we lose regardless, no ifs, and buts.

Fundamental game because it is the first (starting well is always desirable) and because Leicester is the direct competitor for the head of the group.
He will come down with the best formation, therefore that of the victory with Juve, but it would also be desirable to keep out Manolas (for the cappellata, as a warning) and Di Lorenzo. At least from the start.
I'd like to see a 442 with Petagna and Osimhen from the start ...

Leicester is an excellent team, they play with great intensity, I honestly do not expect much from us after the match against Juve, we have many players who are not at the top, I sincerely expect a more defensive game, not so much for Spalletti but really. because tactically it could be a
very smart thing, so as to be able to take advantage of the counterattack, an extra weapon of this team that in the first 3 games was never able to achieve since the opposing teams played with the bus in front of the goal.

Very tough game, also given our injury situation.
We need to let the players breathe, Di Lorenzo, Mario Rui and Insigne in the first place.
With the game in progress, possibly, even one between KK and Manolas.

Tough match for us but also for them

However, the game will be tough, they have high rhythms and they run. But they are not doing very well in the league. It is feasible to win.

This is not a game of wild turn over, because in case of a fool it would undermine the confidence of some reserves that in this phase everything must do except see their self-esteem demolished more than necessary. Apart from the national teams, we will play every three days until December and for example a Malcuit who feels poorer than he really is, is not good. Those who are in good shape must play in the starting group, better make some changes against Udinese, who will certainly not impose a high pace, than risk against a Leicester who will put much more determination, quality and race into the match. Then in the others in the group we can think of more copious rotations, but on Thursday we have to play well in my opinion.

Unfortunately, I see this as very difficult, Leicester is an excellent team, playing in England is never easy .. I would sincerely sign for a draw

There are departments where we have counted players, where no turnover can be made.
Other departments in which, instead, Spalletti's choices will explicitly say what the absolute priority is this year.
At the same time, the match against Juve was played last Saturday and it was a physically and mentally very tiring game: some of those starting players could rest and not by technical choice. Having said that, I would prefer to see the best possible formation in Leicester and some changes by way of turnover in Udine: we are stronger than Udinese, we are not stronger than Leicester.
I think we will go with Ospina in goal, in defense I expect to see Malcuit and Rahmani in the starting position, in midfield I think there will be the three of last Saturday and in attack I think there will be Lozano in starting regardless of Insigne's physical recovery.

The owners play with 3/4 changes. This is how turnover is made, so will Spalletti. Mindset mindset.
On Saturday I followed Leicester City 0 1 and the team plays well, classic English rhythm. After the big names of the premier there are them.
They are strong but with the owners we can play for it, with them we play for the primacy in the group and it is essential to be first to avoid the round of 32 against a relegated from the Champions League. Playing two games less in February is a lot of stuff.

They seem to hold us in high regard, which is surprising given how good their squad is and their current league position. Plus the fact that they have a lot more recent European experience than us. 

Should be a great game regardless, and even if either team loses, there's enough time to recover and still get out of the group.

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...genuine question, why did you not need a test for the West Ham game!!!

At the time there was no policy to test people at any games, though it was being rumoured that it would start soon. Also the London stadium has a 60K capacity so I think it would have been very hard to enforce. It usually takes quite a while to get into that ground anyway!

That said, I went to the game and got very ill after it. Luckily it wasn't Covid (double jabbed here), but that is a very real warning that when 60K people meet in close proximity, illnesses can spread like wildfire. I had to take 2 days off work, and felt bad for another week afterwards. I imagine having spent the last 18 months not being around so many people and then being that close meant my natural immunity wasn't as good as it would usually be. Two days before that game I went for an 18 mile run, so this isn't a case of not being healthy either!

I don't want to derail the thread, but if you aren't vaccinated, get it done! I got Covid during the first wave and it is no joke! 

I think the only reason they are performing spot checks is to try and increase the number of people that are vaccinated, so if you say no to the check they won't press you on it. But yeah think about both yourself and your fellow man if you are going to a game without being vaccinated, because you are putting many people at risk. 

• Like 2

Leicester vs. Napoli (20.00)

Ref: Martins (POR)
Assistants: Campos and Alves Jesus (POR)
Fourth official: Ferreira (POR)
VAR: Hernandez (ESP) AVAR: Cuadra Fernandez (ESP)