Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Napoli H Post Match Thread 2-2

I really enjoyed the game. One of the best I can think of in recent years given Napoli just came and attacked us, they were fast and willing to put everything into closing us down.

On the other hand the referee was one of the worse I've ever seen. Still not sure what Ndidi did for either card lol 

• Like 2

Defended the notion of playing out from the back on Saturday but they were playing a very high with two centre backs who appeared to have very little off the mark acceleration. 

Failure to keep feeding Barnes who clearly had the better of his full back was annoying too. 

Last night could have done with the occasional longer ball which pushed their defensive line back and subsequently their whole team deeper 

• Like 1

Now that the dust has settled ....

Apart from throwing a 2 goal lead away, it was a fairly interesting evening.

A great atmosphere, some good goals and saves, cheating foreign players, a dodgy referee, a sending off, a bit of crowd violence.

What more could you want from an evening's entertainment?   (apart from a win, of course).

4 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

I don't think this group win be as easy as people think. What is clear is that we lack the experience of European football and can't handle it when the opposing team start with the dark arts.

We were lucky not to lose this by a few goals yesterday but a real worry is how nervous we were on the ball and without the ball we just couldn't handle their press and wouldn't change our style. 

Can anyone remember the last time we dominated a game?

I take you didn’t watch the game between Legia and Spartak or note they are 14th and 9th in their respective domestic leagues 

5 minutes ago, Blue Ed said:

Lots said. Just to give my thoughts on the substitutions. I can understand why Daka and Evans ones were made for Cags and Mads, but I thought they weakened us.

Madders came on for Soumare, not Daka.

This is the sub that cost us the game in my opinion, we missed his physical presence in midfield after that. If he needed subbing it should have been for Hamza, not Madders.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, stu said:

This is the sub that cost us the game in my opinion, we missed his physical presence in midfield after that. If he needed subbing it should have been for Hamza, not Madders.

Another kick in the teeth for KDH, came back fresh and ready, best player in pre season but still seemingly behind Maddison in any match situation.

2 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

To the bloke in the row in front of me pissed out his tree trying to get 'Maradona, what a w4nker, what a w4nker' going - you're a hero and it's a travesty the whole ground wasn't belting it out.

Hahahaha oh god, I hope that weren't me? I was annihilated.

• Haha 2

Some positives to take away, looked a lot better going forward, Daka and Soumare really impressed and Barnes looked back to his old self.

Defensively we do look fragile. An unsettled cb pairing can’t be helping. I worry that Evans won’t be fit enough to play for long periods so I’d stick with Vestergaard and Soyuncu going forward. Both have had bad moments and made mistakes but I feel this will change once they have built up an understanding. Until Fofana is back we need to steady the ship defensively and I though they were great against Man City.

Maddison sadly offered little when he came on. I would have gone for KDH or Choudhury if Soumare needed taking off. Just gave more impetus to Napoli. 

If offered a point at the beginning I think I’d have taken it and some pleasing performances give me optimism that our squad is stronger this time around.

7 hours ago, Gubbins said:

Annoying to blow a 2 goal lead but I can't say we deserved to win that.Napoli were far better overall.  Napoli reminded me a bit of Liverpool in regards to their fierce pressing of our defenders turning our pissing about at the back tactic from mind numbingly ineffective to suicidally incompetent! Also and I hate saying this but if we want to go far in this tournament, our cheating has got to improve. Couple of feeble dives from nacho and tielemans were never going to be given and we have to get better at it. Rubbish as it is screams, rolling around, smacking the turf with your fist in faux agony etc will all make a difference in European competition and if we don't do it the opposition sure will. Modern football is f**king horrible. 

Exactly. We are too nice/naive for this Euro lark. We didn't do enough to slow the game down once it got to 2-1. I only remember Bertrand going down for any length of time after getting struck by the ball. Hopefully, he'll give some instruction in this regard.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Worring that are defence of Vestergaard and Evans couldn't cope with the pace of their attackers, really think we should have also signed that young Japanese lad that we were linked to, but went to Arsenal

Evans is injured, he was still injured last night. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blue Ed said:

Lots said. Just to give my thoughts on the substitutions. I can understand why Daka and Evans ones were made for Cags and Mads, but I thought they weakened us.

Evans looks to be knackered unfortunately and Cags is a car crash waiting to happen continuously losing his man and ball watching.Why not bring on a defensive midfielder to see it out rather than Maddison who offers nothing in those circumstances.B R tactics seemed to be hang on to the ball in our last third of the pitch, having said that we really managed a draw against a stronger team but was a missed opportunity.

• Like 1