Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Napoli H Post Match Thread 2-2

33 minutes ago, ttfn said:

The away game could be really interesting as it comes in the middle of a really busy run of fixtures.

Both of the previous times we’ve played in European group stages we’ve had the luxury of resting most of the team by the time we’ve got to December.

This time around the Napoli game is the 6th game of 11 in 38 days starting on 20 November (12 if we get to the QF of the league cup which is only 2 wins away). That run includes Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool, Spurs, and away games at Villa and Everton.

Bloody hell.

That's going to be hard going.

More confident we have more like for like options in the squad now to help keep us fresher.

40 minutes ago, Larry_LCFC said:

First half we dominated them and they offered very little. They were truly horrendous at finishing. Second half they dominated us. I cant help but think we are a more disciplined team with Evans on the pitch. It goes to rat shit when he doesn't play.

Blimey. I can't help but think you've said this because it chimes with your Evans narrative

They may not have been able to finish them but they created plenty of very decent chances (easier chances than the two they actually scored from) 

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

Apart from the clearance off the line from Castange and the headed chance that Kasper saved but should have had no chance of saving.

No way should we have been ahead at half time.

Couldn't disagree more, they were shocking and we were much better. We deserved the three points without a doubt. 

• Haha 3

Very good interview this, gives great explanations as to what we tried and why. Also some frank assessments of players, which I find refreshing.

Q: Boubakary Soumare and Patson Daka made their first starts for the club. How did you feel they got on?

BR: “Bouba, I was delighted with. I thought he had a really good 70 minutes. He tired towards the end, which was why we took him off. It’s understandable because it was his first start in a really high-level game. I was delighted with him, I thought he showed great composure and good physicality in the game, so he was excellent.

"Patson, I was disappointed for him because of the goal and the great celebration with the crowd, and then for it to be disallowed. You see what he gives, he gives everything, he works so hard, he’s always a threat and looking to get in the box. I was really pleased with those two.”

Q: What was your thinking behind the attacking substitutions?

BR: “The game in the first half, with our system, we were down a man in midfield as we were playing with two strikers. Even though we got the goal, I didn’t think it allowed us to keep the ball like you’d need to at this level of the game. By bringing on the third midfield player, that allowed us to have better control in the game.

"Then Patson could play just to the side but still get in the box and be effective as a striker. That was the reasoning behind that.

"Bouba was playing his first minutes of the season, so he was starting to tire 10 minutes before we took him off, but we let him push on.

"We put James Maddison into the game because we were spending more periods without the ball, and that was inviting pressure, so the idea was to bring him, he’s a technical player. It’s an area of the team we need to be better at this level. Us giving the ball away as often as we did at times means you’re chasing the ball, and you start to tire.

"Vards, we were trying to get something, so we had a striker who could run quickly and score goals, and felt that he could give us something.

"Jonny came off with an injury, so we had to play Cags.”

Q: What did you make of Ayoze Perez’s performance?

BR: “He made a difficult start in the game, giving the ball away two or three times. Then he played himself into the game really well, and he scored a fantastic goal. His will to get into the box and get on the end of the cross, and I thought he finished it really well, keeping it low. I was delighted for him.

"That gave him confidence in the game. I thought he worked ever so hard in the game. I wanted to make the change at half-time to bring a pure midfielder on. They had three really good midfield players in there versus our two, and bringing Youri in allowed us to gain a better feel for the game.

"It was his first start since the sending off. He’s given us 45 minutes and got game-time into his legs, and he will be better for that.”

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, dannythefox said:

Subs cost us. I don’t even like Perez but l always say when he’s playing well and I thought he was doing well so why take him off? Same as soumare, Rodgers does this all the time. Need some muscle and he brings madders on ffs.

Yes. I think we missed Perez too. He presses more effectively than anyone else IMO. Surprised he was withdrawn so early, particularly after scoring. He really reminds me of Shinji's role. Don't understand why he gets so much stick. Both he and Albrighton are the  hardest working players in the team and they always give 100%. If Perez was exhausted we should have replaced him with Albrighton, who could have played a similar role. 

7 minutes ago, FoxFossil said:

So if they batter us in Naples, and we finish 2nd in group, just our luck to draw Barca when they drop down from CL. 

I'd look forward to that. I think we could give them a game. Anyway, I'd rather lose to Barca than Slavia Prague. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, dannythefox said:

Subs cost us. I don’t even like Perez but l always say when he’s playing well and I thought he was doing well so why take him off? Same as soumare, Rodgers does this all the time. Need some muscle and he brings madders on ffs.

Peres had to come off so Rodgers could add an extra man into the midfield, to hope to retain possession a bit better than we were doing. It was a good plan poorly executed. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, turtmcfly said:

Blimey. I can't help but think you've said this because it chimes with your Evans narrative

They may not have been able to finish them but they created plenty of very decent chances (easier chances than the two they actually scored from) 

They had 22 shots in total, most of which were quite long range and went well over the bar. We were frustrating them in the first half without a doubt because they couldn't break down the final 3rd. They were like a different team when they came out second half. We were on the back foot for most of it.

Edited by Larry_LCFC

30 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Peres had to come off so Rodgers could add an extra man into the midfield, to hope to retain possession a bit better than we were doing. It was a good plan poorly executed. 

Like I said subs cost us. I’m afraid at 2-0 up you should be able to execute a plan. Hamza should of been on imo. Madders shouldn’t of been put on and bringing vardy on was 20mins too late. 

10 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Hes certainly big and strong, hes definitely not worth though though. 70 million pound players don't look that bad for a whole half lol

Silly comment even the best can have a poor game. 

He's 22 and will be one of the top strikers in Europe by he mid 20s. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NasPb said:

Couldn't disagree more, they were shocking and we were much better. We deserved the three points without a doubt. 

Ok will have to agree to disagree as they should have scored both chances.

A draw was pretty much a fair result. If Daka's goal had have stood then of may have been different. 

10 ish points will get us out the group. Would want two wins from our homes games and then a win and at least a draw on the road and we will be fine.

Edited by goose2010
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

Another poor performance, we just look unfit and everything flows from that, poor mentally, poor technically and poor physically. Made worse tonight in the first half not having Tielemans, we’re so ****ed without him cos nobody else has the balls or quality to pass the ball forward in midfield.

Just hope we can play our way into the season otherwise it could be rather meh

Disappointing atmosphere as well. Expected more, away from the goals it was only anger at the ref that generated proper noise

https://www.samaritans.org/

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, dannythefox said:

Like I said subs cost us. I’m afraid at 2-0 up you should be able to execute a plan. Hamza should of been on imo. Madders shouldn’t of been put on and bringing vardy on was 20mins too late. 

I think Hamza and that referee could be a potential disaster. I don't blame Rodgers for not bringing him on.