Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Brighton 2-1 Leicester post match

I must be the only one who thinks both offsides calls were unfortunately correct.

The first one - Barnes' movement away from the goalkeeper distracted the former when the ball was hit.

The second one - The goalkeeper was focusing both on the ball coming in and Barnes' movement in front of him.

Very tight calls, though.

(Their goal, where Vestergaard was clearly being pulled, was given ridiculously; Vestergaard was clearly the innocent one in that situation.)

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Yes, my mind keeps going back to the bottle kicking incident. It suggests that this slow, pedestrian build up is really how he wants them to play, and I find that disturbing.

....he wanted them to continue doing what they had previously been doing in regards to movement and one touch passes!!!

We started to overplay and he wanted what we had been doing to become something we could do blindfolded and would become the norm. We still have not attained that standard and maintained it and that was the reason for Rodgers frustration.

In the Southampton 9 -0 we continued to do the same thing all the way through, they were down to 10 men but we did not let our quality and movement drop and Rodgers did not leave the touchline even in the pouring rain in an attempt to drive them on.

This team does not have a ruthless mentality, the players do not lend themselves to that kind of mindset and it is why Rodgers is looking for players who want to be winners but our team are a long way off.

From the Guardian. Quite like the fact that Graham Potter even admitted they were lucky with decisions: 

The Brighton manager, Graham Potter, admitted he had not seen the incidents back, but said his side were on the other end of decisions last season. “I’ve not seen them back. Instinctively I thought it was a handball for the penalty. The offside ones felt tight to me,” he said. “That’s life sometimes. It goes your way and it goes against you. I’m sure there will be a time when it goes against us.

“At the moment we’re happy but we’re not getting too carried away. We know we’ve had a bit of luck to get the three points. There were times when margins didn’t go our way last year and you’re a bit frustrated.

“I thought Leicester responded really well and showed their quality. But like anything in the game of football at this level, you need to be good but also survive some moments and get that little bit of luck on your side.”

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LCFCCHRIS said:

From the Guardian. Quite like the fact that Graham Potter even admitted they were lucky with decisions: 

The Brighton manager, Graham Potter, admitted he had not seen the incidents back, but said his side were on the other end of decisions last season. “I’ve not seen them back. Instinctively I thought it was a handball for the penalty. The offside ones felt tight to me,” he said. “That’s life sometimes. It goes your way and it goes against you. I’m sure there will be a time when it goes against us.

“At the moment we’re happy but we’re not getting too carried away. We know we’ve had a bit of luck to get the three points. There were times when margins didn’t go our way last year and you’re a bit frustrated.

“I thought Leicester responded really well and showed their quality. But like anything in the game of football at this level, you need to be good but also survive some moments and get that little bit of luck on your side.”

Potter's a good manager. If Rodgers sent to another club, he'd be a good replacement I think.

Surprised that Spurs didn't go for him in the summer.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

That team, or replace Nacho with Soumare and play 433 instead of 4231, like we did today.

Against Burnley, given their physical approach we are probably better playing 433. We signed players like Verstergaard and Soumare to be better prepared against physical threats, so let's see if that's true or not. What I would expect to happen then is that Burnley play a deep block and though we get lots of possession don't create much. But I'd rather we dominate the game first and then try to pick the lock rather than starting like we did today and let the other team dictate the play.

....your style of writing seems to have changed!!!

This is the second post today from you that does not feel or sound like your usual missives.

Today's result has actually really deflated me. It's as a result of a combination of things, firstly the team selection. How long is BR going to persist with this supposedly first 11 with Maddison? Then also Youri just not being Youri since the FA cup final really. Then there's the lack of chance for Daka and to a lesser degree Nacho. Then on top of all that the really really poor decisions made by VAR. The penalty and the 2 "offsides". I've asked earlier but no one seems to know. Has the law changed? Before it was only offside if the player was 'interfering with play'. Now it seems if you are offside your offside regardless of how involved you are? So disappointed today.... 

4 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

The second one - The goalkeeper was focusing both on the ball coming in and Barnes' movement in front of him.

This has always been my issue. I've argued this in regards with this off-side ruling. Keepers have to be conscious of a player in that spot even if the "in the keepers line of sight" is tenuous because they don't know they're off-side and can't just dismiss them to effect play. However my problem is purely consistency because we've seen these decisions not given 99% of the time. Pre-VAR we'd dismiss it as hard to referee, in real time mistakes can be made etc. But we have VAR so they have to get it right but more importantly be consistent. 

We started badly and tbh thought Brighton deserved to be up even though that wasn't a pen'. We need to find some momentum that we can roll into games and an attitude to go straight at teams from the first minute. I feel like the first half of most of our games so far this season is our players getting to know each other again and deciding how we're going to play. It feels unfocused.  

I'm genuinely tired of Maddison. Benching him for the next few weeks will do him good. 

Lookman has to start imo. I've defended Perez, I'm not hating on him but he doesn't do enough to effect games imo. He tracks back, he defends, he can link up, I'm not saying he's crap or pointless... but the player I saw playing for NUFC where he cut through our defense and was direct I'm just not seeing and haven't for a while. Yes he scored against Napoli but if he was doing that week-in-week-out I would be singing a different tune. But he doesn't and one-off moments like that isn't enough to justify guaranteed place in our starting team.   

1 hour ago, turtmcfly said:

I don't think a lino will be able to see this, so will have to call the offside, and effectively send it upstairs. 

As I've said before I think the clear and obvious rule has been deemed not to have been met, when I think in these instances (on pitch offi ial clearly can't see the whole picture) VAR should take a definitive role.

I'm not surprised at all that the second VAR call mirrored the first, and I do think Harvey's attempt to 'try the same again but do it better' is naive. I'm not convinced he actually helped get the ball in the net in either case. 

....do you think whilst Harvey is standing with the keeper and he realises where the ball is going he should have stepped up in case of obstructing the keeper!!!

He is standing there to prevent the keeper from coming for the ball so he is carrying out his instructions, just that he failed to assess the situation and stepped up to put himself on side or for the opportunity to react, should the ball come back off the keeper.

53 minutes ago, Phil Bowman said:

Well based on what you yourself have said here there’s no reason why he should!

I bet he’ll still feel crap about it.

36 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

I must be the only one who thinks both offsides calls were unfortunately correct.

The first one - Barnes' movement away from the goalkeeper distracted the former when the ball was hit.

(Their goal, where Vestergaard was clearly being pulled, was given ridiculously; Vestergaard was clearly the innocent one in that situation.)

I don’t think Barnes played any part on that keepers thinking whatsoever. He had a very good line of sight in both of the goals.

I get the rule of Barnes was on the keepers toes or he has jumped over the ball after a shot but those goals should not be ruled out. Ridiculous way to officiate that rule.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

First one I would agree, but I don’t think the second one was correct. The giveaway for me is the GKs reaction - first goal he runs straight to the ref, whereas with the second one he was more annoyed at conceding than remonstrating with the ref. 

• Like 3

Barnes is there to try to impede the keeper coming out for the cross 

once the corner has been taken he has to just get out (exactly the same as the last defender does) 

this seems to be the way that defensive set ups  are dealing with this issue.  The attacker has to be way cuter than Barnes was today - either get out so you’re onside or step back quickly away from the action so you cannot possible be accused of interfering. Give the officials the opportunity to screw it up and they probably will …..

Edited by st albans fox
  • Like 1

I’m just so annoyed… we win the FA cup, then become the first new name on the Charity shield since 1996, and this is the kind of shit we’ve been serving. 

It’s just so disappointing, we’ve got a good team, but I can’t help but think that there is some form of mismanagement going on. I love Brendan, and I can’t believe he goes home and thinks “we were mint today, just unlucky” we’ve been wank since the first ball was kicked this season bar a raise in performance against city and Napoli and a decent second half against Brighton. 

Serious conversations need to be had over the next few weeks, a record needs to be set straight against Burnley, because lose that and as good as Brendan has been the heat will be on. 

The football has been slow, turgid, unproductive and completely dull. Sort it out lads….

Didn't watch the game due to other commitments but saw the starting line up and feared the worse. Checked up on the website and saw Bertrand and Maddison subbed off quite early. Honestly you can write the script with us. Bertrand probably knackered after Thursday and I imagine Maddison had gone missing. Please enlighten me if I was wrong. 

11 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Barnes is there to try to impede the keeper coming out for the cross 

once the corner has been taken he has to just get out (exactly the same as the last defender does) 

this seems to be the way that defensive set ups  are dealing with this issue.  The attacker has to be way cuter than Barnes was today - either get out so you’re onside or step back quickly away from the action so you cannot possible be accused of interfering. Give the officials the opportunity to screw it up and they probably will …..

What frustrates me is that there has been instances of a player in Barnes's position for the first goal where after VAR has had its look, the goal has been given.

I know we benefitted from a similar judgement against Norwich, but it doesn't alter the fact that there seems to be a luck of the draw, depending on who's officiating the match, and that shouldn't determine the outcome of games at this level.

Once again there are huge inconsistencies in the way games are governed. These kind of scenarios are foreseeable, and there needs to be a clear rule, not one so open to interpretation (as the current "line of sight" is) where we have situations when, almost identical on field passages of play are returning a different results.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

I haven’t actually been impressed with Bertrand at all. I think he’s pretty shit. Castagne and Thomas are miles better. I was all for his transfer when he came in but having seen him play, not having it. Castagne please until JJ is back. 

Think age has caught up with him, seems abit laid back, think is better in taking free kicks and maybe used as a sub later on or used in domestic cup games. Seems to have played for a lifetime for Southampton and feels like there isn't much left in the tank for Leicester. Prefer up and coming players with hunger and desire to win

Edited by CrispinLA in Texas
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, adam95581 said:

First one I would agree, but I don’t think the second one was correct. The giveaway for me is the GKs reaction - first goal he runs straight to the ref, whereas with the second one he was more annoyed at conceding than remonstrating with the ref. 

The first ruled out goal the keeper runs to the Ref,but is touching his arm suggesting that Vestergard had handled it when he  dived to try and head it, he`s not actually claiming the offside on the first goal either.  I dont think Barnes obstructs the vision of the keeper with either goal personally, and the second disallowed goal being ruled out is an absolute joke, Barnes is actually standing on the other side of the goalkeeper to where the ball is coming in from, and dont even get me started on their penalty that was so blatantly a free kick to us.  The guy who was doing the VAR for our game today needs taking off it, because clearly he has no idea what he is doing. 

Edited by smudger63
  • Like 3