Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Brighton 2-1 Leicester post match

5 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

I’m not suggesting a conspiracy theory against us but I’m fed up of not getting the rub of the green with VAR officials. 

If we’d have had one extra of those dubious decisions like today go our way in each of the last two seasons it is likely we’d have been playing Champions League football. 

The game earlier was an absolute farce. How can a side have 3 major decisions that are either borderline or should be in their favour go against them? It just doesn’t and really shouldn’t happen. 

I don’t know if we actually have a case to claim a conspiracy against us tbh. Yes we’ve had some dodgy decisions go against us recently and definitely the case this weekend, but we’re one of the top sides for number of goals ruled out by var (in our favour) so we have benefitted from it. 

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

VAR ref needs his angles checking. Ridiculous that they have access to this angle (even on the overhead one from the sideline) that they came to the conclusion Barnes was blocking Sanchez' eyeline. Embarrassing. 

It’s not just VAR, the referee has exactly the same angle we do there. He shouldn’t be getting that wrong.

Where they’ve got this backwards is that the linesman flagged so the referee gave offside. This is just how it works, whilst the referee formally gives the offside, how often do you ever see the referee overrule a linesman on an offside? It doesn’t happen. So the “onfield decision” is offside, even though the offside has effectively been given by the linesman, a man who can only judge whether Barnes is in an offside position and not whether he is interfering with play. 

So the burden is then on the VAR to prove that it’s a “clear and obvious error” even though the original decision has been given by somebody with one of the worst views in the stadium as to whether Barnes was interfering. The original decision has been made with sub-optimal information and VAR can see pretty objectively that Barnes isn’t interfering. But if you’re apparently setting a very high bar for VAR overturns then perhaps this just about falls under the threshold. The issue is that this should never have been given in the first place, it’s a glaring flaw in how the game is refereed at the moment.

1 hour ago, gerblod said:

As others have stated, since Thomas began appearing in the team, his link up play with Barnes had been impressive.

Until Barnes got crocked, that is.

Now Bertrand has arrived, he appears to have completely usurped Thomas as first choice - without establishing any credentials to have that honour.

And where was Thomas on Sunday?

I'm astonished that a young, consistent, technically skilled, enthusiastic and committed player is suddenly nowhere to be seen, while this transient gets the nod over him.

I'd be pretty cheesed off if I were Thomas - you step in and do an exceptional job and then get pushed to the sidelines for no discernible reason - especially when you can see your manager selecting underperforming players week-in and week-out.

I think Bertrand gets the nod because he has played with Vestegard, and our central defence is the weak spot. He is safer defensively, but much worse at getting forward with Barnes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

I'm not sure why they stopped showing us the angles being shown. Gives at least some clarity of what the hell they're looking at. Now we have absolutely no idea if they even looked at Maupay yanking down Vestegard. 

Shearer sums it up here, these things shouldn't be happening. We have so many angles, how the flying **** have they missed this?

I'd imagine the reasons for it are simple...

Not being shown all the angles before making a decision. 

Trying to make a decision to quickly. 

Being utterly incompetent.

32 minutes ago, ttfn said:

So the burden is then on the VAR to prove that it’s a “clear and obvious error” even though the original decision has been given by somebody with one of the worst views in the stadium as to whether Barnes was interfering. The original decision has been made with sub-optimal information and VAR can see pretty objectively that Barnes isn’t interfering. But if you’re apparently setting a very high bar for VAR overturns then perhaps this just about falls under the threshold. The issue is that this should never have been given in the first place, it’s a glaring flaw in how the game is refereed at the moment.

Was thinking about this 

offside shouldn’t be ‘clear and obvious error’ territory 

it’s supposed to be factual - off or on 

clearly with an interference offence, the lino cannot judge - he is correct to indicate an offside. The ref then needs to decide whether there is interference. He should be coming to the screen to check this.  I think you’ve highlighted a problem with the idea that var doesn’t re referee - in these instances, it’s not right to expect the ref to have judged interference on field - he should be asked to check on the monitor and hence be in control of the call, not the VAR. 

peter banks is incompetent- he shouldn’t be allowed in Stockley Park. This isn’t news - asking someone who is useless to make the calls is just madness ….. I’m sure atwell wasn’t too pleased after he saw MOTD last night. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I'd imagine the reasons for it are simple...

Not being shown all the angles before making a decision. 

Trying to make a decision to quickly. 

Being utterly incompetent.

The angle the VAR was watching repeatedly clearly showed the foul, the VAR checked it for quite a while and Kasper and Vestergaard both told the ref straight away that he was fouled, so I think it's most likely purely down to your last reason.

I know LCFC have a well-deserved reputation for saying and doing the right things, but I think on this occasion they should make an official statement saying how disgusted we are with the officiating on Sunday, pointing out, with images, just where every major decision was incorrect or at the very least questionable.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

If anyone feels the need to read what some of the Brighton fans are thinking.... 

https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?390277-Not-interfering-with-play

Much like 99% of this board after the Norwich game, or any game where VAR goes in our favour. You'll rarely get balanced people that try and look at a situation from both sides on a forum.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NasPb said:

It's simple. For the now bertrand is better than Thomas. Doesn't mean he's bad just the case lol

Bertrand is a more defensive player than Ricardo on the right.  Can't have both wing backs driving forward leaving the CB's only at the back.  The change made to bring on Castagne was to help case the games being 2 down. Team needs to start at a higher tempo than the way they have been. The second half is the type of performance we need the whole game.  It shows they can and then should start that way.

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

VAR ref needs his angles checking. Ridiculous that they have access to this angle (even on the overhead one from the sideline) that they came to the conclusion Barnes was blocking Sanchez' eyeline. Embarrassing. 

The biggest issue with these rulings is that they did not follow the written rule related to offside during a goal. The League need to come out and make a statement either supporting the Ref crew or say as we all know they were wrong with at least the penalty and the Ndidi goal at least.

37 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Much like 99% of this board after the Norwich game, or any game where VAR goes in our favour. You'll rarely get balanced people that try and look at a situation from both sides on a forum.

They’re also a fvcking weird fan base. Seen on Twitter yesterday they’d quote anyone disagreeing with gifs of maupay crying. Sooner he, that nothing club and their merry band of weirdo fans start crawling back down the league the better. 

1 hour ago, Spudulike said:

If anyone feels the need to read what some of the Brighton fans are thinking.... 

https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?390277-Not-interfering-with-play

Karma’s a lovely thing. They’ve all the luck go their way this season. Even their own manager eluded to it when he mentioned ‘margins’ and it wasn’t a landmark win 

If you look at it, Soyuncu is a car crash at the moment, confidence all time low, he's paired with one half of a Southampton backline, a team who in the last 2 or 3 years have been bottom half fodder. It's a recipe for poor defending and that is what we've had this season. Individual errors, collective errors, chopping and changing full backs and centre backs doesn't help either. We need a settled back 4. Evans, Fofana and Justin would be in our best back 4 and all are out, so in the meantime, we ain't going to be watertight.

• Like 1

Two of the three decisions where completely wrong, the first goal ruled out perhaps it could have been seen as a infringement but it’s extremely wet. 

Thing is it’s cost us at least a point, I know we didn’t start well, but decisions like this are an embarrassment to the game. I’d like to know what they were actually looking at.

And what speaks volumes to me is the fact, that they quickly took the penalty decision video off the big screen after it had been given because they clearly knew they had ****ed it up. 

2 hours ago, mozartfox said:

Lets all move on now and hope the FA at least suspend the idiot on VAR for a few games.

No chance that happens. We’ll probably end up getting him as on field ref next game like they did when Lee Mason fvcked us over as VAR in the cup.

Edited by TheUltimateWinner

That Ndidi header being ruled out and Penalty against vestergaard still stings today. Worst decisions given against us in recent memory.

Key moments in the game and they have got them horribly wrong.

No doubt there will be no consequences for the officials. They should be suspended and made to read the rule book.

41 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Karma’s a lovely thing. They’ve all the luck go their way this season. Even their own manager eluded to it when he mentioned ‘margins’ and it wasn’t a landmark win 

They got battered by VAR last season and already once this season (20 seconds in lol

So they're probably feeling very much like it's about time they had the rub of the green.