Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Brighton 2-1 Leicester post match

I can’t stand this saying they got lucky. Lucky is when the ball deflects in your favour or a ball was about to roll in the back of your net but a mole from out of nowhere pops up and stops it.

That wasn’t luck yesterday, that was awful terrible referring from so called professionals!!

I still think Barnes wasn’t clearly obstruction their keepers line of vision. He could clearly see the ball in both goals. The Cantwell offside was correct, watch it again he was right on Kaspers toes right from the corner and until the ball goes in the back of the net. We have been well and truly done over yesterday but nothing will happen. Leicester should get an apology for that sack of shite.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Daggers said:

We went through a phase under Pearson when match in match out was a succession of complaints about poor refereeing decisions. Everyone was at it. It wasn’t resolved by the better selection or training of officials, it changed because Pearson wised up about team selection and tactics. We are suffering because of how we line up and start matches, it’s that simple. Rodgers needs to snap out of the failing approach because it’s stuck us in a rut. There’s a killer team in this squad - it isn’t the one that prioritises underperforming and coasting players.

Refs and VAR aren’t going to change - we have to.

I do agree with this and I don't think the refs should be used to totally detract from our flaws, the fact we were 2 down in the first place against a side we proved in the last half hour we were very capable of getting at proves this. This game in isolation was absolutely terribly refereed though. Even away from the big decisions I thought Attwell was awful, twice basically walking their players to the touchline to be subbed despite the blatant timewasting. What happened to the rule about moving off at the nearest area? Oh I know, I'll warn them about this rule while they're literally getting subbed off anyway.

The last half an hour gave me some hope. There's life in us yet.

Edited by Dan LCFC
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, escape2victory said:

I couldn’t watch the game yesterday. Just wondering how the midfield 3 of Ndidi, Soumare and Tielemans did ? It’s something I have been championing, as in theory gives makes us more solid in the middle and frees up Tielemans a little. Just wondering how in reality it worked and if worth persevering with ?

...Soumare played ahead of Tielemans, definitely a poor decision by Rodgers!!!

Maddison out wide and asked to tuck in to allow Ricardo to come down the wing. Rodgers using the same ploy just different personnel. 

The set up hampered us and until the changes we were ineffective. 

Until we decide to use the midfield three properly (Tielemans, Ndidi and Soumare) TNS we are going to be subpar.

The last time I was at a match with such poor officiating was Sept 1997 when we got beat by Atletico Madrid at home and the ref was bent. 

As Martin O'Neil said 'I felt that was a game we couldn't win'

I had exactly the same feeling yesterday but I think it's more due to sheer incompetence of the ref, the linesman but even more so VAR. 

Surely VAR is there to contextualise incidents and give the ref sufficient views to get the decision right not substantiate an already ludicrous decision. 

In truth they totally ruined the game and will ruin it on a wider scale if this continues - the really galling thing to me is that there is no way Man U, Chelsea and the Big 4 would ever be in the situation we were in yesterday. 

I appreciate team selection was poor and some players were off of it but a 2 or 3 - 1 win should still have been the outcome. 

Edited by Crazy Kop Corner

2 hours ago, Spudulike said:

If anyone feels the need to read what some of the Brighton fans are thinking.... 

https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?390277-Not-interfering-with-play

Just read a lot of this, a lot of them can’t understand that you are not offside when the corner is taken and therefore you can begin in that position 

• Like 1

I like the idea of moles popping up on the goal line. They come ready equipped with big stopper hands as well. Cool.

I don't like "it evens out over the season". Does it fvck. There's no score book totting up these things. 

On reflection,  I'm taking the 2 offsides on the chin. There might well be some guidance issued to refs on the subject (not that we'll hear of it) but I can see why they were given and would hope managers review the tactic of sticking a player on the keeper. It can bite you in the bum, as we found out. The penalty though, nah, that's just a bad decision. VAR ought to have been able to overturn that one.

Still, shit happens (and it won't even out, we certainly shouldn't see it like that, I don't do karma) and we move on. More of a concern is how slow, ponderous and bereft we became in that 1st half.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Stupid thing is, I'd wager if the Lino didn't flag for offside on Barnes, VAR would have given the goal. 

Almost certainly.

I do think that the first one he has got in the way of the keeper and can accept that one, based on where Sanchez's eyes are looking the whole time. Even though Sanchez was never getting to the shot. 

The Wilf one seems incredibly harsh though and I feel like it was only given offside, because the first one was and they had set a precedent.

The most predictable thing is that the decisions will probably be discussed and new guidance given this week. Then we will be the first team to concede a goal to a Burnley set piece and it be allowed under the new guidance lol

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

They got battered by VAR last season and already once this season (20 seconds in lol

So they're probably feeling very much like it's about time they had the rub of the green.

I said this to a Brighton fan on the train back yesterday. 

Amount of howlers/bad luck they had last year, I almost don't mind it being them that we had some horrible decisions against. 

^ This is the problem. You've got blokes who wouldn't look out of place at a morgue talking about how Barnes 'clearly makes an attempt for the ball' means the second one should be ruled out. 

The most telling thing about both of the goals is the keeper doesnt kick up a fuss on either occasion. Absolute bollocks. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, daddylonglegs said:

^ This is the problem. You've got blokes who wouldn't look out of place at a morgue talking about how Barnes 'clearly makes an attempt for the ball' means the second one should be ruled out. 

The most telling thing about both of the goals is the keeper doesnt kick up a fuss on either occasion. Absolute bollocks. 

Dermot bleedin' Gallagher!? I thought that Sky had sacked him off years ago. Stupid old fool. 

36 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Almost certainly.

I do think that the first one he has got in the way of the keeper and can accept that one, based on where Sanchez's eyes are looking the whole time. Even though Sanchez was never getting to the shot. 

The Wilf one seems incredibly harsh though and I feel like it was only given offside, because the first one was and they had set a precedent.

The most predictable thing is that the decisions will probably be discussed and new guidance given this week. Then we will be the first team to concede a goal to a Burnley set piece and it be allowed under the new guidance lol

Image the meltdown in here  lol

17 minutes ago, daddylonglegs said:

“You see there”

No I don’t Dermot, could you elaborate?

The balls in the net by the time you finish your sentence and Sanchez doesn’t even recognise Harvey is there. 

Edited by TheUltimateWinner

5 minutes ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

“You see there”

No I don’t Dermot, could you elaborate?

The balls in the net by the time you finish your sentence and Sanchez doesn’t even recognise Harvey is there. 

The whole notion of bringing ex-refs in to be “pundits” is flawed because they usually always agree with the decision that’s been given on the field anyway, like it’s some weird unwritten rule. Gallagher is bad for it, so is Peter Walton on BT. They offer no insight, no explanation, they just reel off loads of waffle to take you round the houses to explain that their pal is right in a really finite way. BT and Sky would be more credible if they just did away with having them on and letting all the ex-pros and journalists argue the toss like they used to because according to the former referees none of the current crop ever make a mistake, so what’s the point of having them on to talk about it? 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, drumbeat said:

I like the idea of moles popping up on the goal line. They come ready equipped with big stopper hands as well. Cool.

I don't like "it evens out over the season". Does it fvck. There's no score book totting up these things. 

On reflection,  I'm taking the 2 offsides on the chin. There might well be some guidance issued to refs on the subject (not that we'll hear of it) but I can see why they were given and would hope managers review the tactic of sticking a player on the keeper. It can bite you in the bum, as we found out. The penalty though, nah, that's just a bad decision. VAR ought to have been able to overturn that one.

Still, shit happens (and it won't even out, we certainly shouldn't see it like that, I don't do karma) and we move on. More of a concern is how slow, ponderous and bereft we became in that 1st half.

Barnes is allowed to be there when the corner is taken. He’s onside. But after he comes off the keeper and does nothing to impede him. Like I said if he did what Cantwell did to Kasper in an offside position then Barnes is stupid but he didn’t and he’s done nothing wrong and we’ve had two good goals chalked off.

I also don’t think Brighton troubled us much at all. They have cheated a pen but other than that defensively we were fine. Their second goal is really poor tho! You can’t let Welbeck just walk around the box unmarked and leave him with a free header, no idea what we were doing for that goal.

Think Brighton’s Xg was 1.58 but you take away that peno it’ll be around the 0.80 mark. Our Xg was lower but the two ‘goals’ wouldn’t have been counted to that stat!

We played fine and I like the 433. Maddison is ****ed tho, I watched the lcfc.tv highlights and he is a playing struggling physically big time. We can’t afford to carry the guy which we did first half.

• Like 1