Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Brighton 2-1 Leicester post match

11 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

**** me, there’s people on the Brighton forum who think Barnes is offside when the corner was taken. Not realising that you can’t be offside from a corner kick! Crazy how many people watch the game and know so little about it. 

They can only assume the ball was touched before it went in, and at the point of the touch, Barnes was offside, surely?  

Looking on the bright side we had a great weekend in Brighton,a decent pint of Harvey's Sussex bitter,outside and inside the ground plus a train to the ground that actually worked. Brighton fans seem a decent bunch so can't begrudge their brief moment in the sun. Brendan needs to play his inform players in their best position to remove the vagaries of VAR from the equation.

2 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Stats can prove anything but it's not been a great start let's be honest.

Is that true, FOUR crosses into the penalty area so far this season? Less than ONE cross a game? Didn't Vardy score from a cross into the box? WTF! Why aren't we doing more to increase that? 

7 hours ago, jmono84 said:

Barnes is allowed to be there when the corner is taken. He’s onside. But after he comes off the keeper and does nothing to impede him. Like I said if he did what Cantwell did to Kasper in an offside position then Barnes is stupid but he didn’t and he’s done nothing wrong and we’ve had two good goals chalked off.

I also don’t think Brighton troubled us much at all. They have cheated a pen but other than that defensively we were fine. Their second goal is really poor tho! You can’t let Welbeck just walk around the box unmarked and leave him with a free header, no idea what we were doing for that goal.

Think Brighton’s Xg was 1.58 but you take away that peno it’ll be around the 0.80 mark. Our Xg was lower but the two ‘goals’ wouldn’t have been counted to that stat!

We played fine and I like the 433. Maddison is ****ed tho, I watched the lcfc.tv highlights and he is a playing struggling physically big time. We can’t afford to carry the guy which we did first half.

They didn't cheat a pen' though did they. The referee messed up, talked to a linesman who doable-down on the bad refereeing while VAR sealed the nail in the coffin of the farce that it's become. No VAR I might have been inclined to just dismiss it as bad refereeing but VAR makes it sooooooo much worse. Where's the accountability? Nothing of what we saw on Sunday was acceptable. Where's the apology? I want them out in front of the cameras after a game and asked what was the train of logic. Nobody has to abuse them, just ask, what were they thinking, show them the question we're all asking and expect an answer.

I would say the first off-side was correct, Barnes does stray into the keeper's eyeline so I understand it even if I don't like it. The second though is a disgrace. Brighton just rode the ineptitude of the officials and got lucky. I don't blame them, we'd do the same. But that' not our jobs. It's the referees. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, foxinsox said:

I think Bertrand gets the nod because he has played with Vestegard, and our central defence is the weak spot. He is safer defensively, but much worse at getting forward with Barnes.

That makes sense. I would want to try out a new signing and I would expect a man of his experience to slot in fairly readily. What I'd hate to see would be Thomas sidelined and disaffected - he's too good to waste. Choudhury was on the bench but no Thomas. Maybe the thinking is that, when JJ returns Bertrand will be the cover and Thomas will be moved on. 

12 hours ago, GingerrrFox said:

**** me, there’s people on the Brighton forum who think Barnes is offside when the corner was taken. Not realising that you can’t be offside from a corner kick! Crazy how many people watch the game and know so little about it. 

In fairness you hear some pundits in commentary show they don't even know the rules.

12 hours ago, John rayner said:

VAR has spoilt football, so inconsistent, 

You have to differentiate between the technology and the people who interpret it. 

Because the cry went up that it was slowing the game down, then the refs and VAR observers have been urged to speed the process up. You can't do that - because it's there to provide the correct decision - not the best fit in the circumstances.

I heard some pillock stating that soccer was too complex for VAR compared to tennis, cricket and rugby. But rugby situations, especially in the case of potential trys can be just as long winded. 

Once you start pandering to opinion then you lose the beauty of the system. But I've always been a fan of VAR and I've  got more than a gnat's attention span.

• Like 1

I think Dermot’s reaction just speaks volumes about why VAR in football doesn’t work.

In terms of team games there isn’t a more complex game than football, video replay systems in cricket, tennis and Rugby all look at very black and white decisions. Unless they completely rewrite the rules to fit VAR we will keep having incidents like this.

Now it is a thing referees need to be retrained in my opinion. VAR has completely changed the game and in some cases highlighted the fact most officials haven’t a clue what they’re doing. 

They also need to introduce an appeals system. Three appeals for each team and only the captain can put forward an appeal, and if an appeal is lodged the ref must stop the game and go and review the footage for himself. 

It can work, but we don’t seem to have grasped it in this country at all, the referees want to continue to ref in the same fashion, and it isn’t working. Dermot should be embarrassed about his comments regarding these goals, it just makes him look incompetent…..

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dawko said:

Barnes has got learn to stay onside. 

Would have been nothing for VAR to check if he could have bothered to keep onside. Both goals would have counted. 

Being offside while a goal is scored is just asking for a goal to be disallowed by VAR. 

his job is to stop the keeper being able to come for the cross with no blocking. what if he just runs away from the situation once the corner is taken to regain being onside and the ball misses everyone on the near post and he isn't three yards out to nod it in ?  then we'd criticize him for doing that.  . its pretty much a no win situation for the player asked to block the keeper because the defensive tactic now seems to be that no one takes a post and the front man on the near post clears out to attack the ball.  hence, the blocker is left offside if there is any attacking touch at the near post (unless it goes in at the near post from near post contact).

you could argue that its a clever defensive strategy to combat teams that want to block the keeper with one man. if you put a couple on the goalie then the defence has to react by dropping players in - otherwise you can just swing the corner into that near post area and the keeper is blocked by one attacker whilst the other nods in.  .   . 

5 hours ago, Pliskin said:

I think Dermot’s reaction just speaks volumes about why VAR in football doesn’t work.

In terms of team games there isn’t a more complex game than football, video replay systems in cricket, tennis and Rugby all look at very black and white decisions. Unless they completely rewrite the rules to fit VAR we will keep having incidents like this.

Now it is a thing referees need to be retrained in my opinion. VAR has completely changed the game and in some cases highlighted the fact most officials haven’t a clue what they’re doing. 

They also need to introduce an appeals system. Three appeals for each team and only the captain can put forward an appeal, and if an appeal is lodged the ref must stop the game and go and review the footage for himself. 

It can work, but we don’t seem to have grasped it in this country at all, the referees want to continue to ref in the same fashion, and it isn’t working. Dermot should be embarrassed about his comments regarding these goals, it just makes him look incompetent…..

You get the impression VAR has been imposed on refs and they will make as little use of it as they can get away with.

1 minute ago, Dawko said:

Would have been nothing for VAR to check if he could have bothered to keep onside. Both goals would have counted. 

Being offside while a goal is scored is just asking for a goal to be disallowed by VAR. 

He was the player chosen to be on & around the goalkeeper..Team allocation

Also from corners you can't be offside on first phase..

Also if you are not interfering or not impeding GK. Linesman should wave anyway for offside position.

Ref with VAR, make end descision..

So no major issue with Barnes..

This season it seems the integrity of

descision is being impared by officials

openly being pushed to make quicker descisions..

Penalty & 2nd offside descision IMO  support this..

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Dawko said:

They weren't disallowed by VAR on Saturday though. The expert view was that had the ref allowed the 2nd goal then VAR wouldn't have overruled it. Who knows what they would've made of the first, its all so random and inconsistent. 

45 minutes ago, Dawko said:

....so long as you are not in the vicinity of the ball going into the goal you are ok!!!

There have been goals scored with players offside but not interfering with play.

I remember Arsenal v Chelsea in the cup final and the Arsenal player (who was offside) went to play a ball which was played into the box, he was not quick enough to get to the ball but his colleague who was not offside beat him to it and scored. As the law stood, having motioned and attempted to play the ball, offside should have been called, but it was overlooked and the goal awarded.

It always seems to be an interpretation of the rules.

It should be as simple as looking at the screen and seeing if the keeper can see the ball, if the player is CLEARLY in the goalkeepers view and they’re in an offside position then rule it out. So many good goals being ruled out and it’s largely due the imbeciles making crap decisions. Get them mic’d up and get them using their common sense, you’ll see them being respected a lot more. How can you respect the trash that’s being served currently at the highest level in arguably the best league in the world.

Just now, jmono84 said:

It should be as simple as looking at the screen and seeing if the keeper can see the ball, if the player is CLEARLY in the goalkeepers view and they’re in an offside position then rule it out. So many good goals being ruled out and it’s largely due the imbeciles making crap decisions. Get them mic’d up and get them using their common sense, you’ll see them being respected a lot more. How can you respect the trash that’s being served currently at the highest level in arguably the best league in the world.

I think if the keeper has to second guess whether the offside player is going to play the ball, it has a serious impact on how he reacts.

Not necessarily related to our decisions but it does have an impact on the keepers decisions making. 

Added to the fact that the keeper is going to struggle to know whether the player is offside or not.

Looking at line of sight is only, is… shortsighted (ignore the pun). 

• Like 1

I don't understand why common sense doesn't prevail in these situations. Barnes was stood in an offside position for both goals but he did not interfere or obscruct play, especially on the N'didi goal. Vestergard was manhandled for their penalty well before he handballed it. 

The problem isn't VAR, it's just terrible refereeing and the euros proves that British refs are miles behind other countries. I think we need to re educate referees or get more refs on board at each game at Stockley Park, as they're coming to incorrect conclusions.