Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ant495

Sammy Braybrooke

2 hours ago, The_Rorab said:

It's wild to me people saying he'll get his chance after every single time Rodgers has the chance to blood him and chooses not to. On what basis do people think Rodgers is gonna give him minutes other than hope?

What's my blind faith ever done to ruffle your feathers, eh?

To be fair, Alves, Braybrook, Brunt and McAteer have all had at least some game time.

Admittedly none at the end of league matches, the best bet Sammy will have soon, but see paragraph one.

Edited by Foxxed

5 hours ago, Tommy G said:

So he’s the next best thing then?

...very much a potential star for the future!!!

Good on the ball has vision, not fazed by situations that he has been asked to work in.

Unless there is something in the offing, he should have had game time today. I  am not sure if you have seen him play, but you would know if you saw him. Physicality was always what I felt would hold him back, he has bulked up a tad and it seems  he cannot easily be pushed off the ball.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, themightyfin said:

He was told he was getting pitch time yesterday. 

Let's hope Sammy doesn't get impatient and feels like he's in the plans.

Well he won’t get another chance until the next round of the cup if we’re against a league 1 or 2 side and more than two goals ahead ….

the coach won’t trust any U23 player unless he’s already had a few starts or is a black belt ….. and we won’t be comfortably winning any league games in the near future. Plus KDH and praet will be back and the midfield will be full. 

• Sad 1

We'd all like to have seen him come on but the game situation didn't lend itself to him coming on. 

Brendan wasn't going to risk the result in our current form, 3-0 up and he'd have come on.

Brendan needs results like this to build some confidence even at the detriment of player development, its wrong buts he's protecting his own job first.

Edited by Silebyfox_89

7 hours ago, The_Rorab said:

I don't mean it as an attack - I just feel more and more jaded every time Rodgers lauds himself as a paragon of integrating youth players into teams whilst doing his utmost to seemingly never actually blood youth players. The games at the end of the last season against Norwich, Watford and Southampton which were ostensibly dead rubbers and he talked about the possibility of academy players seeing some action only to not even put any on the bench - including against Norwich only putting 8 players on the bench with a spot free instead of a youth player. He's mentioned other games I'm pretty sure as possibilities for youth players and then not delivered on it a few times.

I just feel like I constantly see Rodgers either bigging himself up or being promoted in the media as this youth-playing dynamo, without any actual evidence from his time here of doing so without being forced into it via injury (Thomas). KDH I think is the only one I can think of and that was after a stellar loan spell, not being blooded into the team - maybe I'm missing other examples?

I really hope you're right and Braybrooke (amongst others) get more chances. You look around at other clubs and most of them are doing it - most other clubs have at least one or two academy players on the bench, or in the starting lineup nearly every week. I think I can count on one hand the number of games we've had any on the bench for a while.

Yet with a manager who apparently trusts youth, who has a squad he's vocally mostly unhappy with and complains about our depth we basically never see any youth players actually in a position to get any meaningful gametime - and there's loads of soundbites about not risking players not being ready, or shoring up games to take no risks, but we seem to be about the only club that has this perspective on it - as I've said, most other clubs don't seem averse to throwing some kids on as subs, even in tight games.

I'm not saying they're all gonna be world beaters, but in a squad that's seemingly disaffected in large, with real gaps in it, with rumours of funds not necessarily being plentiful I just can't fathom not at least giving some players more of a go to make some sort of an impact instead of seeing yet another ineffectual performance out of Ayoze Perez, or deciding to have both Vestergaard and Soyuncu on the bench. To complain about the lack of depth and quality and to not even consider seeing what our academy players can do strikes me as either our academy has far less quality than we think, or Rodgers refuses to even consider the idea that maybe if we're struggling for money that it might be prudent to see what if any holes we can fill from within.

I pretty much wholeheartedly agree. But, as you mentioned yourself, I'm so jaded and also confused as to the state the club is in, not to mention confused about the outrageous loyality we've shown to a manager who, although clearly a good Premier League manager who should keep us above the relegation zone, a manager who has significant problems, problems we're fully embracing at the moment, including ineffectual use of the club's biggest asset. So blind hope and looking for some positives is all I have left now, and they are there although easy to miss (McAteer getting minutes was good). Roll on the end of the season and to the next manager. And I'll take any positivies that come. A sentiment I believe a lot of the players have too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

By that logic McAteer and Brunt should never have played then. Braybrooke is our star of the academy, probably even more so than Alves.

I've fell in to the trap that academy players should only come on when games are wrapped up but that's meaningless if you want to test and build these players in to 1st team players that can be relied upon, Rodgers even said so last week and post match yesterday.

Braybrooke is ready, he doesn't need token minutes. He'd improve this midfield in its current state. His physicality isn't anywhere near the issue some think it is, he is too intelligent for that to be exposed often enough. I hope he gets a loan, even though we need him. Rodgers is once again showing how incapable he is at blooding players under the age of 21.

You don't see many other prem teams that wouldn't play players like Braybrooke in games like these. BR seems to have systematically destroyed our academy prospects and our wider ability to bring future stars here.

8 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Rodgers is once again showing how incapable he is at blooding players under the age of 21.

Everything that was said to be Rodgers' strengths doesn't seem to have been come to fruition in his time here, when he's spoken about and when he first come here his strengths and attributes were supposedly:

A great man manager.

Good at bringing youth through.

His team come on strong in the second half of a season/end of a competition.

• Like 1

If Braybrooke was at Man City or Liverpool he would have already made 10-15 appearances albeit a mix of sub appearances and the odd start, for all that is said about both Klopp and Pep they are both more than happy to trust young players in cup competitions and even in later rounds against better quality opposition. 

yesterday without doubt Braybrooke should have started, or at least got 30 minutes. Woeful waste of an opportunity to show to the player there is a definite pathway to the 1st team. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Well he won’t get another chance until the next round of the cup if we’re against a league 1 or 2 side and more than two goals ahead ….

the coach won’t trust any U23 player unless he’s already had a few starts or is a black belt ….. and we won’t be comfortably winning any league games in the near future. Plus KDH and praet will be back and the midfield will be full. 

... I recently heard an interview where Rodgers was stating that it is when we are in a tight game and the pressure is on, then you find out the character of a academy player, not when you're coasting with a big lead!!!

The comments made perfect sense,  but he will not put it into practise. Why, up against the competition yesterday and with an impending quarter final in a few days,  do you play a first teamer in a role that Braybrooke is made for, for the full game?

34 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

By that logic McAteer and Brunt should never have played then. Braybrooke is our star of the academy, probably even more so than Alves.

I've fell in to the trap that academy players should only come on when games are wrapped up but that's meaningless if you want to test and build these players in to 1st team players that can be relied upon, Rodgers even said so last week and post match yesterday.

Braybrooke is ready, he doesn't need token minutes. He'd improve this midfield in its current state. His physicality isn't anywhere near the issue some think it is, he is too intelligent for that to be exposed often enough. I hope he gets a loan, even though we need him. Rodgers is once again showing how incapable he is at blooding players under the age of 21.

But Brunt and McAteer are 22 and 21 and have both played for us before and had loans so have played competitive football. I completely agree young players need testing but not sure away in the cup on a bobbly pitch against a physical team in the wind is the right time for an 18yo to make his debut when you’re trying to see out a game.

Brunt and McAteer only played yesterday because they were the only Castagne and Thomas replacements available.

Always feels with Rodgers like he hasn’t got the balls to play these kids unless a game is won against a lower league side. Braybrooke vs Newport, Alves/McAteer vs MK Dons only appeared once we were out of sight. How on earth Nelson never made his debut during that CB injury crisis last season was baffling. 

He had no interest in bringing McAteer on late against Fulham on Tuesday when we were dying to freshen things up out wide. 

Edited by Aleksz
  • Like 2

We have 16 players out of contract by next summer. We need youth players integrated ASAP because we don’t have the money or competency to adequately replace that many.

Mendy’s 5’6, not particularly industrious, his passing range is limited, his defensive stats are dreadful and his contract expires in the summer. What would we have missed out on if we started Braybrooke instead?

Terrible short termism.

13 minutes ago, Stadt said:

We have 16 players out of contract by next summer. We need youth players integrated ASAP because we don’t have the money or competency to adequately replace that many.

Mendy’s 5’6, not particularly industrious, his passing range is limited, his defensive stats are dreadful and his contract expires in the summer. What would we have missed out on if we started Braybrooke instead?

Terrible short termism.

Is it the case he knows he won't be here so he's not really that bothered for our future, bringing through and integrating youth - On one hand we'll suffer for that attitude post Rodgers, on the other hand I truly hope this is the case as atleast he'll be gone.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

Terrible short termism.

I'm probably focusing too much on this comment but I remember Rodgers saying that young players need to have resilience more than just talent.

Since Sammy's not had the chance to develop "resilience" then maybe that's a reason he preferred to play our two youngsters who've been out on loan.

I'm really unsure if that's a good reason personally, especially as it seems to assume you can't develop that resilience in the first team, but that could well be Brendan's thinking.

Edited by Foxxed
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

I'm probably focusing too much on this comment but I remember Rodgers saying that young players need to have resilience more than just talent.

Since Sammy's not had the chance to develop "resilience" then maybe that's a reason he preferred to play our two youngsters who've been out on loan.

I'm really unsure if that's a good reason personally, especially as it seems to assume you can't develop that resilience in the first team, but that could well be Brendan's thinking.

I think you’re right, 10.0 Rodgers’ mental gymnastics. He’s 18, good enough to play right now. He’ll become more resilient the more he plays.

8 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

It’s a disgrace that he didn’t play against the bottom side of League 2 with Tielemans and Mendy who played ahead of him, both being out of contract in the summer and we know neither will be here next season. Brendan spouts shite in the press conference about players going if they won’t sign a new contract and then won’t give the Leicester Iniesta his chance. He’s a ****ing hypocrite. 

I fully agree. I can’t even be arsed to post about how bad it is from Rodgers. Especially as someone itk said he had told Sammy he would get some minutes. Rodgers is a joke 

The real thing for me is that if Rodgers doesn't think a player like Braybrooke can handle a few minutes at the end of a cup game to bottom of League 2 - what makes me think at any point any other game will be the one he does give him a go?

Edited by The_Rorab
  • Like 2