Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

Leicester 2-Burnley 2 post match thread.

We look like a mid table side playing mid table football. We are not close to the levels of the last two seasons. 

To have our one in form CB being booked within 5 minutes in any game ( t was a booking and I’m glad he made the challenge) isn’t good. I thought Cags did ok today though. 

To then concede an OG just played into Burnley’s hands. You can moan about their time wasting but it’s nothing we wouldn’t be doing at their place in that situation. 

I thought we were OK, not poor or great just OK. We can score some outstanding team goals like the one at Brighton but frustratingly  our general play isn’t close those moments. 

I gave up hope when he took off Lookman for Maddison. I didn’t really object to Maddison coming on, but it never crossed my mind Lookman would be the one to be dragged off. 

Vardy did what Vardy has always done. 

I’m beginning to have my doubts it’s going to really gel this season. 

I have to say this has been coming. Since the Norwich game, despite winning, knew we were in trouble.

We are piss poor and it’s mainly down to the injuries in our defence.

I didn’t rate Vestergard before we signed him but willing to give him a chance however we will get NOWHERE with him in the team. He has played at a low prem level for a reason. He’ll have the odd good game but in general he’s not close to being good enough. If your getting the run around by bloody Vydra, you know your in trouble.

We seriously need Johnny back and get by till jan with Soyuncu Evans and sign a stop gap, we cannot play a majority of the season with him in the back line or we’ll be lucky to be in the top 10 never mind top 6!

Betrand is utterly useless too. I don’t understand why Castange don’t go Lb!? He may not be as good there but he’s by far the better more Athletic player and it should be him and Ricardo 100% every game possible. Ricardo played well at LB in our 3-1 win vs Liverpool last season so both could rotate their favourite RB role occasionally depending. Both miles above Bertrand. Failing that, Thomas over him even.

These 2 are useless signings. If we sign bottom half defenders we will be bottom half!

I miss little Wes 😢.

Last negative: Soumare. Ok he did alright at times and I can see what he offers, but defensively he vacates his position too much and leaves us gaping at times. We were a lot better when he came off due to having some kind of control.

He looks like he has some talent but he doesn’t fit with our other 2. Wilf and Youri are better in a 2 100%.

Now the positives,

Lookman - wow. Fantastic performance full stop. I’m not going to mention what an outrageous decision it was to take him off because We ended up scoring, but he was brilliant and this SHOULD(I say should because you never know with Brendan) mean he starts EVERY game.

Vardy - Theres nothing much to say, he isn’t at his peak but 2 absolutely world class finishes and the composure for the 2nd when we’re running out of time was 2nd to none. Genuinely a world class striker he never seizes to amaze me. I feel for Nacho and daka because both can do nothing right despite doing nothing wrong. We have great depth up top for sure.

We showed heart but it’s home to one of the worst teams in the league. We have played Norwich and Burnley and looked awful for a majority so god knows how we’ll cope with the big boys.

The big problem is defensively we have poor players who are not on poor form but actually poor players. We can use all the tactics and attacking play we like, we’ll never be consistent with the likes of Vestergard Betrand and Amarty.

Even games we are 1-0 up we’ll never be safe. Wolves run us ragged and we got lucky and Norwich we went 2-1 up with 10 mins left and still got a huge piece of luck to see it out vs arguably the worst team to ever play in the Prem.

Its a huge huge issue and I can’t see how it’s not a terminal problem that will last until Fofana and Justin get back up to speed.

• Like 1

Our finishing is poor. Our defending is woeful.

Vestegaard is no better than Amartey. At least Amartey isn't pushed off the ball non stop. 

Rodgers makes odd subs again. 

We should have scored four or five today. 

Burnley are a pub side. I hope and think they'll go down this season. Just a bunch of long ball time wasting cheats. 

I can't see where our next win is coming from atm. Very worried. 

Fair play to Burnley. Look far more organised than we did with a fraction of the budget. Defensively we are a complete mess. Not a clue why he keeps playing Bertrand.  Thomas and castagne both miles ahead of him. Kasper bloody terrible as well.  We either need to change the way we play or get a new keeper who can distribute the ball. 

Just now, The Horse's Mouth said:

Im not saying it shouldve counted, I'm just putting out the fact of what a shambles we are at the back 

Then it wasn’t 3 goals ;) yeah I agree we are awful and it is making it tough for us to pick up points. Felt today we attacked better and nice to see Vardy is back in the goals. Just hard to fix that defence when fofana isn’t available and evans is struggling with an injury still? 

Outside the result..I enjoyed the game...

Thats the Problem with Middle to average fans...they Chase the result .

IMO our best game this season...

Story of 2 Vs...Vardy Scored 2, ( + OG. ). Missed 3 Good chances.

Vestergaard...Made a couple of mistakes,Ricardo & Bertrand wobbled, But its Vestergaard who gets the crap...

Time we had a forum-watch...:D

• Like 3

We've lost all sense of "speed", of "sharpness", of "quick ball movement", of player movement and our 1st and 2nd phases of play are so obvious that I'd imagine if we played harborough Town we'd struggle.

It's a joke. The middle of the park is devoid of flair and movement. Its bad when Tielemans is running up the right and left wings more than through the middle. 

This falls on Rodgers head because with the expectations that the club have I'd imagine it wouldn't take long for the hierarchy to start to get concerned as they did with ranieri. 

For me the displays this season have been too slow, too obvious and with a distinct lack of creativity. We need to start to do what we did best with pace on the flanks, triangles to move the ball quicker and then flick the play along the 18-25 area so that youri/madders could as they used to, probe balls through and dictate from those positions. At the moment youri isn't getting anywhere near those positions and even when he does, we don't collectively as a team have enough control of play.

I’m all for keeping the ball, but it needs to be done with tempo, 2 goals come from quick positive passing. We don’t do that enough at the minute! When we do we rip through teams, both today, the one at Brighton. Pedestrian pace football from Cb to midfield is so easy to defend especially a determined team like Burnley. 
They made clever challenges and took yellows which we still don’t do enough of overall. They chucked their body at everything when 2-1 up, I’d love to see our Cbs worry about defending first before anything else. The sooner evans or fofana fit the better. 

not an excuse but another shocking ref performance I don’t know why I’m surprised by now haha

I’ve seen us play Burnley many times over the years but today was the worst for time wasting  and that was after about half an hour. 
however our pace, which at times was as bad as it was in the first half last week at Brighton was awful. There is no spark in the middle and at times we should play it long, it’s all too predictable at the moment.

Defensively very poor today - Vestergaard looks unsure alongside Soyuncu who is having a mare right now but I suspect JV would look more comfortable with Jonny Evans.

Fine margins over the past two matches, should probably have six points instead of one.

We lost to an own goal and a stunning volley.

People writing off Jamie Vardy... get in the bin.

Lookman is really exciting and forward thinking but tired a bit so understand why he went off.

Castagne sparkled when he came on as did Iheanacho, who probably should start in a 4-2-3-1.

Yeah it's a sluggish start to the season but I don't think we're miles away from clicking.

Edit: Burnley's timewasting from half an hour in was shocking.

Edited by UpTheLeagueFox
  • Like 4

If we get this team out on the pitch we have a chance. Need an injury free season like 15/16 and stick to same 11.

Kasper

Ricardo Soyuncu Evans Castange

Wilf Youri

Madders/Nacho

Lookman Vardy(Daka) Barnes

Stick to that as much as possible until Justin comes back at LB and Fofana next year at CB and we’ll be alright.

(Shame that we’ll probably never see our best 2 players play together ever again in Youri and little Wes) 😢.

I'd like to see KDH. He's more of an attacking midfielder than Soumare. Soumare is highly talented but with him being in the team we seem to be 10 yards closer to our own goal and I think it's meant wilf has had to change his positional play too.

Edited by UHDrive

4 minutes ago, deanolegend1989 said:

If we get this team out on the pitch we have a chance. Need an injury free season like 15/16 and stick to same 11.

Kasper

Ricardo Soyuncu Evans Castange

Wilf Youri

Madders/Nacho

Lookman Vardy(Daka) Barnes

Stick to that as much as possible until Justin comes back at LB and Fofana next year at CB and we’ll be alright.

(Shame that we’ll probably never see our best 2 players play together ever again in Youri and little Wes) 😢.

We definitely need to get castagna playing and the error from RP didn't help tracking back.

Edited by UHDrive

We had 2 or 3 great chances aside from our goals, and if they go in, and Vardy doesn’t score the own goal, it’s a different game. 

Results like today make it clear that Vestergaard and Cags aren’t working particularly well together, Barnes looks well off it, Kel needs to start in that supporting striker role, and Lookman HAS to retain his starting place. 

The fine lines are very fine. 
If Vardy doesn’t score an own goal today and we don’t get our pants pulled down away at Brighton by the ref/VAR, we’d have 5 more points and be right up there. 

As it is, we’re 4 points off the relegation zone and it doesn’t look great on paper. 
We need to beat Palace and kick on from there. Things will turn good.  

Keep the faith. 

12 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Defensively very poor today - Vestergaard looks unsure alongside Soyuncu who is having a mare right now but I suspect JV would look more comfortable with Jonny Evans.

Fine margins over the past two matches, should probably have six points instead of one.

We lost to an own goal and a stunning volley.

People writing off Jamie Vardy... get in the bin.

Lookman is really exciting and forward thinking but tired a bit so understand why he went off.

Castagne sparkled when he came on as did Iheanacho, who probably should start in a 4-2-3-1.

Yeah it's a sluggish start to the season but I don't think we're miles away from clicking.

Edit: Burnley's timewasting from half an hour in was shocking.

Then again we could easily have lost at the end. 

I know there are lots of Wilf admirers on here and over the last two seasons and more, on the whole he deserves that. 

But he lacks creativity, largely because he is a poor passer of the ball. At the moment, he seems lost at times. We need his destructive abilities but that takes disciplined positional play.

I know some were comparing him to Kante at one point. Watching Ngolo in some recent games, I think Ranieri was right in that he was the equivalent of two men. Phenomenal. No wonder we could play Mahrez as we did and Albrighton too. Drinky for all his great performances that season was a lucky man. Kante was unbelievable. 

So back to Wilf. He isn't Kante of course. Nobody is. But he's a very good player and I hope he gets his mojo back soon as we need it. At the moment though I think there is no clear command structure in midfield and both he, Youri and today, Soumare, are suffering because of it. 

Edited by Cadno'r Cymoedd
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

We definitely need to get castagna playing and the error from RP didn't help tracking back.

Ricky wernt great today, but he’s used to bombing forward and Brendans style for them to bomb up the wing. He got caught out but that was a lot to do with being exposed badly on the other side too.

Last season we had great legs and pace in Justin and Fofana to cover for Riccy being caught up field. Now we have Betrand and Vestergard who are both so slow so it don’t help us take more risks going forward.

Castange should be on always, our best fullback without a doubt(especially defensively).

Evans controlling the defence brings the best out of Soyuncu who has the pace and aggression to be a great defender but needs someone solid next to him.

Full backs we need more pace to get up and back, Castange or even Thomas should be above Bertrand without a doubt.

If Bertrand is our mainstay god help us.

I didn’t see the match today, but something has got to change. We played a side only second to Norwich today, this really isn’t good enough. If you want to finish top 6 you simply have to beat Burnley at home. Brendan has some thinking to do, otherwise……. Well it’s a results based game.