Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

Leicester 2-Burnley 2 post match thread.

3 hours ago, tickler28 said:

We look an absolute car crash at the back.....swap Vestergaard, Soyuncu and Bertrand for Fofana,  Evans and Justin and we are a top 6 side....as we are.....complete lower table dross

Unfortunately, we can't.

Irritating result, but overall performance from an attacking sense was improved. If Vardy scores that first effort (as he would 8/10 times), we would have been confident and blown them away. As it was, Vardy gets a weird OG and then our defence goes to absolute shit. A point is a point. Maybe this will stop the rot from an attacking perspective. I think if we have Evans fit and in form for a while we will do much, much better. I've been so disappointed by Vestergaard - hopefully it's just a form thing, but right now I think Amartey is hard done by to have been dropped for him.

• Like 1

Guest Col city fan
8 minutes ago, PaulW said:

Unfortunately, we can't.

I was crying out in the summer transfer thread to be looking at some really good CB’s to bring in. Amartey, Soyuncu and now it seems Vestergaard are bang average at this level. Evans is a cut above, but if Rodgers thought Evans would avoid injury then more fool him.

The club needs a rock at the back. That’s where the leader needs to be and without Evans, we don’t have one.

I maintain, we’ll score enough goals in this team to avoid a relegation scrap. We’ll also concede too many to really do any good 

Edited by Col city fan

Our defense is broken. Vestergaard it feels has personally cost us at least two games. I would rather have an aged Morgan on the pitch tbh. Soyuncu clearly needs a more dependable and experienced player beside him (just his games for Turkey indicate that) and struggles. JJ's return can't come fast enough. I don't hate Bertrand and actually think his more attacking play is okay. Anybody who thinks that defense doesn't unbalance the rest of the team is deluded. We saw the same thing happen to Liverpool last season. The worse part is none of it can really be fixed. I don't think Vestergaard is capable of getting any better. Evans will be in and out all season due to the nature of his injury and Fafana is gone until next season. We wont go down but it's going to be a long hard season. People better get their perspectives in check or this won't be good for the mental health. The good news is we've already won silverware lol 

The defence is the problem. This was always going to be the case as soon as Fofana got injured. Our attackers are fine, we created plenty enough in that game to bury Burnley, but our defence is absolutely shambolic.

For me, both Vestergaard and Bertrand’s lack of pace is causing us massive issues.

8 minutes ago, CloudFox said:

Irritating result, but overall performance from an attacking sense was improved. If Vardy scores that first effort (as he would 8/10 times), we would have been confident and blown them away. As it was, Vardy gets a weird OG and then our defence goes to absolute shit. A point is a point. Maybe this will stop the rot from an attacking perspective. I think if we have Evans fit and in form for a while we will do much, much better. I've been so disappointed by Vestergaard - hopefully it's just a form thing, but right now I think Amartey is hard done by to have been dropped for him.

This assumption if we'd scored one of those chances Barnes, Tielemans or Vardy had that we'd have comfortably won is fallacy. We showed that when we equalised, we have no strength at the back and the midfield for all its supposed added aggression with Soumare was carved open too.

We are on the ropes, we need a huge regroup and back to basics from Rodgers and the coaches. Keeping Evans fit is now essential, as we already knew but even more so now.

More worrying than only having 7 points and not being able to beat Burnley at home is the fact that a better side could literally batter us this season defending the way we are....it reminds me of myself trying to defend on FIFA...its disjointed....panic stations....even our headers away were going straight to a Burnley player.....there are some very very good attacking sides in this league with better strikers than Chris Wood and Matej Vydra....we need to sort things out otherwise sooner or later a team are going to tear us apart....worse than West Ham

2 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I was crying out in the summer transfer thread to be looking at some really good CB’s to bring in. Amartey, Soyuncu and now it seems Vestergaard are bang average at this level. Evans is a cut above, but if Rodgers thought Evans would avoid injury then more fool him.

The club needs a rock at the back. That’s where the leader needs to be and without Evans, we don’t have one.

I maintain, we’ll score enough goals in this team to avoid a relegation scrap. We’ll also concede too many to really do any good 

TBF Soy did pretty well last season and was relatively dependable at "this level". He needs somebody reliable beside him though. Evans was seemingly okay (if they knew that injury was going to dominate his performances then you have a point) and then Fofana was one of the best defenders in the world. And that's not including the players in other defensive roles coming back from injury. What you're asking for is a first team player (ie somebody not average at this level) who would more than likely sit on the bench. Unlike other areas of the pitch ideally you'd want your CB unit to remain a constant. So is that likely?

I think once Fofana became injured the club scrambled for a player that could fill in but wouldn't put the club too much in a hole. So they basically did what Liverpool did. And we'll have to eat it like their fans did, knowing this season is a wipe, but next we'll be back. 

2 hours ago, kingfox said:

I said naivety was a problem a few weeks ago, yet again today’s game proved that.

It was a problem at times in the 19/20 season, 20/21 season, now at the start of this season.

The team lacks leadership in defence & midfield, when Evans doesn’t play we have nobody who can step in and be the organiser in defence. Vestergaard & Soyuncu have proven they are absolutely clueless when it comes to organisation.

For all the talent that Ndidi & Tielemans have, they are not leadership material, certainly not yet anyway.

We needed more leadership in the transfer market, we failed, now it’s coming back to bite us.

....not sure where the leadership is going to come from as it needs to be in the centre of the park!!!

We will have to make a big decision to offload Tielemans or Ndidi in order to bring that kind of player to our party. Is it possible that Soumare can become that player we so desperately need, it is a big learning curve and he has only just got here.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Chances? No, probably not, but isn't that the crux of the point?

You don't need to against us, we're too easy to play against.

Were they more attacking than us? They went forward more yes.

Were they more efficient with the ball? Yes, far more positive.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

With nearly 70% possession compared to 30% I should think so and the rest.

As I said when they got the ball they went forward, they were more efficient.

No you said they were more attacking, went forward more and were more positive.

Which is rubbish, they started time wasting as soon as they went 1-0 and spent the second half committing cynical fouls.

10 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

No you said they were more attacking, went forward more and were more positive.

Which is rubbish, they started time wasting as soon as they went 1-0 and spent the second half committing cynical fouls.

When in possession of the ball they were.

Certainly more efficient, as I said.

They may have started time wasting as soon as they went 1-0 up. We were time wasting playing one twos between Vestergaard and Soyuncu, always look for the sideways pass first.

As for committing cynical fouls I suppose that’s why we committed 10 to their 8 (and we were largely in possession, ‘controlling the game’, makes my mind boggle that we’ve got the higher stat there) if we’re throwing stats about. Ah damn, rubbish ref weren’t it.

Edited by Matt

54 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

I assume you’ve been around football long enough to have seen slippery slopes, collapses in confidence and moral and teams getting sucked into situations they really shouldn’t be in?  32 games left could be good, could be bad and it isn’t all on BR’s shoulders. Some of our players really have to step up. 

I think it's a case after the Lord mayor's show, massive high from the FA win and Community shield and the finding hard to go again.

Combined we a lack of form during to injuries.

For what it’s worth I think we will find some form, but I don’t see this ending with us pushing for Europe again. I think we will finish in mid table. 

Maybe it was always going to be hard to maintain being the best of the rest.

I can see us finishing 8th

I wonder if Youri’s reluctance to sign a new contract is distracting some players. Add in what happened with Fofana, our slightly late pre-season and maybe we are just seeing a perfect storm of issues affecting the team. 

Could be.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Are you saying that your defence isn’t strong in the air ???

Very strong in the air, but not because they are big.  The press in particular has a campaign to suggest that Burnley are a big, strong, dirty team, in spite of stats that show Burnley are not tall and that Burnley have increased their games-without-a-red-card all-time PL record to 99 games today.

1 minute ago, dsr-burnley said:

Very strong in the air, but not because they are big.  The press in particular has a campaign to suggest that Burnley are a big, strong, dirty team, in spite of stats that show Burnley are not tall and that Burnley have increased their games-without-a-red-card all-time PL record to 99 games today.

You don’t have to be big to be good 

you are excellent aerially ….it was nuts to keep sticking corners into ‘the mixer’ …..

20 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

Trivial point, but Burnley don't have big defenders.  Three of the four, are under 6 feet tall. 

Don't get me wrong

I think Burnley are a really good efficient side that play to their strengths. 

When Leicester troubled them, it was when they moved the ball quickly, to feet, in and around the box. 

Putting it in the air got us absolutely nothing, and Burnley defend those situations very well. 

It's all about making life really difficult for the other team, based on their strengths and weaknesses. 

That's what I don't understand with our coaching. 

Burnley, as others, know that when we pass around at the back, there's opportunities to get at us and we wobbled badly today when they did this. 

First live game for 18 months so good to be back in that respect. Defensively we are all over the place, so easy to play against- the offside goal at the end was comically bad. Going forward I generally thought we looked sharp and tried to create- Castagne and Lookman linked really well and played a number of good balls into the box which they blocked or cleared.

Lookman was very lively, Vardy (header early on aside) clinical, Tielemans progressed as the game went on. Didn't think much of Bertrand or Vestergaard. We are desperately missing Fofana.

I think a draw was probably fair and the team did keep going in a difficult atmosphere.

3 hours ago, murphy said:

You're making a mountain out of a molehill

Am I thought? Am not saying a fall out just saying like before everyone was playing for each other having a laugh and joke off the pitch. It may just be that some of our legends have hung there boots n no fuchs to mess about with other players. Anyways wasn't trying to say there a snake or anything like that.

We have so many problems I don't even know where to start. I'd probably say how poor most of the signings look is the main takeaway. I don't expect world beater after world beater but Vestergaard & Bertrand don't look even remotely an upgrade on Amartey & Thomas. Think Soumare has really struggled too. Lookman's done well though.

Not good enough. I think anybody who mentions the top 4 at this point is incredibly delusional. I think top 10 is a push on this form.

2 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

We have so many problems I don't even know where to start. I'd probably say how poor most of the signings look is the main takeaway. I don't expect world beater after world beater but Vestergaard & Bertrand don't look even remotely an upgrade on Amartey & Thomas. Think Soumare has really struggled too. Lookman's done well though.

Not good enough. I think anybody who mentions the top 4 at this point is incredibly delusional. I think top 10 is a push on this form.

I don’t think anyone without a straight jacket has suggested top 4 is feasible ……