Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

Leicester 2-Burnley 2 post match thread.

25 minutes ago, Hollyfox said:

Don't get me wrong

I think Burnley are a really good efficient side that play to their strengths. 

When Leicester troubled them, it was when they moved the ball quickly, to feet, in and around the box. 

Putting it in the air got us absolutely nothing, and Burnley defend those situations very well. 

It's all about making life really difficult for the other team, based on their strengths and weaknesses. 

That's what I don't understand with our coaching. 

Burnley, as others, know that when we pass around at the back, there's opportunities to get at us and we wobbled badly today when they did this. 

I get your point, but Sorry but Burnley are not a good efficient side, they are a side that try to stay in the league every year. We should be winning these matches , and winning them well . 

1 hour ago, Silver surfer 1 said:

We seriously need to look at Benkovic , cannot be worse than vesterguard.  He could be really good .

Benkovic is a strange one,there must be something going on that we are not being made aware of...his performances at Celtic showed he has got talent but then he couldnt even get a game at Bristol City or OH Leuven

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

This assumption if we'd scored one of those chances Barnes, Tielemans or Vardy had that we'd have comfortably won is fallacy. We showed that when we equalised, we have no strength at the back and the midfield for all its supposed added aggression with Soumare was carved open too.

We are on the ropes, we need a huge regroup and back to basics from Rodgers and the coaches. Keeping Evans fit is now essential, as we already knew but even more so now.

You're right Ric, I'm trying to convince myself of something that perhaps isn't there.

Re: Soumaré, I was one of those calling for those middle three as in principle it seemed primed to be a perfect balance. However, Ndidi isn't sitting deep like I expected, which is...odd. Our defence is torrid at the moment but the cracks can be papered over there if we have someone like him sweeping up in front. I really don't know what to think of this team at the moment. It looks like it should be balanced (defensive injuries aside), but it's just not.

My hope is, as you've suggested, Evans staying for provides that solid base and leadership at the back.

**** knows what we'll do if he barely plays this season, because do any of us believe we'll go back in for a CB in January? There's no way. Which would be a huge problem.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Vestergaard & Bertrand don't look even remotely an upgrade on Amartey & Thomas.

I don't think they were designed to be. Vestergaard was a desperate buy to fill the sudden hole after Fofana got wiped out and Evans clearly had issues. Bertrand was also cover until players like JJ and Thomas are properly back and to fill in with hectic fixtures. I'm not entirely sure what our fans expect from our club tbh. They had to bring somebody in to cover CB but don't have the sort of money to throw at actual players who could be considered direct swaps. 

My biggest disappointment really is that Soy' hasn't been able to step up and take that leadership role. He's felt as light as anybody at times

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hollyfox said:

Don't get me wrong

I think Burnley are a really good efficient side that play to their strengths. 

When Leicester troubled them, it was when they moved the ball quickly, to feet, in and around the box. 

Putting it in the air got us absolutely nothing, and Burnley defend those situations very well. 

It's all about making life really difficult for the other team, based on their strengths and weaknesses. 

That's what I don't understand with our coaching. 

Burnley, as others, know that when we pass around at the back, there's opportunities to get at us and we wobbled badly today when they did this. 

.....it has taken too long for our coaches to understand that we need to keep the ball on the floor!!!

Do not put the ball in the air, we are poor at heading the ball and we let ourselves down when we play anything above knee height. It is embarrassing that we do not understand our weaknesses and seek to address them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

We wanted Vestergaard before, this wasn't a desperate buy in the sense we had a list of targets and failed to get them and then ran out of ideas and got this great big lummox in. He was Rodgers first choice experienced centre half, frightening. 

I imagine Tarkowski was probably our first choice with how long we have been trying to sign him? But we were priced out of that

Our form since the Brighton win back in March has been probably the worst since the last days of Claudio. Just lucky that we've got it right in the games that got us silverware.

I know where a bit understrength but even still there is enough talent to be winning games like today.

A rare slip up by vardy today but he more than made up for it. The OG was a bit funny I must admit. Even if Woodsys goal stood I could forgive that mishap by the King! 

Burnley to their credit always give us a a good run for our money. 5 goals in the last 3 games we played them at home.  Bit disappointing not to get the win but a draw was gonna happen sooner or later. 

It's  not looking good for us though league wise this season. Fofana is too important to us to be missing. We'll have another go in the January window I suspect but the damage is done. Hopefully we can get a cup/Europa League run going.

Rodgers needs to address the slump though. It's probably the lowest point of his reign so far. He's got the cup win to fall back on but if this carries on he'll be looking over his shoulder.

19 minutes ago, bovril said:

watching Motd didn't realize what a tight offside it was at the end. Looked miles off in the ground

Especially when you consider that the photo they showed on MotD was taken a fraction of a second after the ball had left Barnes' head so did not show the true position at the moment the ball is played; and also that the decision is entirely dependant on the exact definition (which doesn't exist) of the end of the defender's shoulder.

Still, VAR has two reasons for existing. One is to correct mistakes, the other is to disallow as many goals as they possibly can that would have been legal under the "level is onside" rule.  VAR has managed to disallow a goal that would have been perfectly legal two years ago; this is another triumph for VAR.  

8 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

Especially when you consider that the photo they showed on MotD was taken a fraction of a second after the ball had left Barnes' head so did not show the true position at the moment the ball is played; and also that the decision is entirely dependant on the exact definition (which doesn't exist) of the end of the defender's shoulder.

Still, VAR has two reasons for existing. One is to correct mistakes, the other is to disallow as many goals as they possibly can that would have been legal under the "level is onside" rule.  VAR has managed to disallow a goal that would have been perfectly legal two years ago; this is another triumph for VAR.  

Impossible to be offside when there were 22 Leicester players on the pitch today tbf. 

1 hour ago, CloudFox said:

You're right Ric, I'm trying to convince myself of something that perhaps isn't there.

Re: Soumaré, I was one of those calling for those middle three as in principle it seemed primed to be a perfect balance. However, Ndidi isn't sitting deep like I expected, which is...odd. Our defence is torrid at the moment but the cracks can be papered over there if we have someone like him sweeping up in front. I really don't know what to think of this team at the moment. It looks like it should be balanced (defensive injuries aside), but it's just not.

My hope is, as you've suggested, Evans staying for provides that solid base and leadership at the back.

**** knows what we'll do if he barely plays this season, because do any of us believe we'll go back in for a CB in January? There's no way. Which would be a huge problem.

Exactly the point I made in a post. He isn't sweeping the defensive midfield. Positionally he is not disciplined enough for me. He isn't a box to box or even central midfielder. His strength is being destructive, which should allow Youri to control affairs more centrally. 

• Like 1

Anyone who thinks we're going to be in a relegation battle/scrap needs to have their head testing, this is the best Leicester City squad in my lifetime. Not the best first 11 but a squad definitely.

That said anybody who thinks we'll finish 5th for the third season on the trot needs to have their head testing. 

Edited by maddog
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

We have so many problems I don't even know where to start. I'd probably say how poor most of the signings look is the main takeaway. I don't expect world beater after world beater but Vestergaard & Bertrand don't look even remotely an upgrade on Amartey & Thomas. Think Soumare has really struggled too. Lookman's done well though.

Not good enough. I think anybody who mentions the top 4 at this point is incredibly delusional. I think top 10 is a push on this form.

To be fair to Soumare, he hasn't had the same game time as those two. He needs to settle into the PL too. The ex Soton pair are experienced here. He'll become really good but think both Vestergaard and Bertrand are over the hill. Why we persist with them over Amartey and Thomas (or Castagne, on the left even) is a mystery. Two poor signings though Bertrand could be more useful? 

Edited by Cadno'r Cymoedd

10 minutes ago, maddog said:

Anyone who thinks we're going to be in a relegation battle/scrap needs to have their head testing, this is the best Leicester City squad in my lifetime. Not the best first 11 but a squad definitely.

That said anybody who thinks we'll finish 5th for the third season on the trot needs to have their head testing. 

4th? 

2 hours ago, Dandy king said:

I get your point, but Sorry but Burnley are not a good efficient side, they are a side that try to stay in the league every year. We should be winning these matches , and winning them well . 

Sorry but they are. 

They are extremely competitive and give most sides a problem in nearly every game they play in. 

If people don't like their style, then that's fair enough, but they've been in the top flight for a good few years now and stay up with ease. 

I bet a few said they should be beating the likes of leicester with ease in 2015/16😁

• Like 2

Burnley are absolute fodder and although we have ourselves to blame, their rolling over and shit results in the race for top four last season contributed. 

That’s why it stings so much more when they have two moments in the match today, one of which was scored by our own player; that we go on and get a draw because of. 

Theyre shite

Burnley - and Dyche - are what they are.  They play a consistent and effective style, nauseating to watch though it is, that keeps them safely in the league year after year.  Their time wasting is appalling and they're as entertaining as an ingrown toenail, which given our current form makes for atrocious viewing.  But they are effective at what they set out to do.

That said, it's a side you have to beat comfortably at home if you have any aspirations at all to threaten the top tier of the league.  And we've seen this over and over, especially at home - inability to break down defensive, conservative sides that rely on set pieces and counterattacks.  Right now as a unit we look like we're out of inspiration, and not especially bothered about it.  You don't see much effort, you don't see guys who should want the ball making themselves available and demanding it.  And when they do get it they're not doing much with it.  The manager's baffling team sheets are definitely not helping.  When players see guys on form being passed over time and again for the manager's pets and the same tactical mistakes being made over and over, it impacts the morale and motivation of the whole squad.

We have too much talent to be in a relegation scrap - we'll stumble our way to enough points to be comfortable even like this.  But this sure looks like a mid-table side at best right now, and we can'r keep using injuries as an excuse.  Every side has injuries.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Deeg67 said:

Burnley - and Dyche - are what they are.  They play a consistent and effective style, nauseating to watch though it is, that keeps them safely in the league year after year.  Their time wasting is appalling and they're as entertaining as an ingrown toenail, which given our current form makes for atrocious viewing.  But they are effective at what they set out to do.

That said, it's a side you have to beat comfortably at home if you have any aspirations at all to threaten the top tier of the league.  And we've seen this over and over, especially at home - inability to break down defensive, conservative sides that rely on set pieces and counterattacks.  Right now as a unit we look like we're out of inspiration, and not especially bothered about it.  You don't see much effort, you don't see guys who should want the ball making themselves available and demanding it .  And when they do get it they're not doing much with it.  The manager's baffling team sheets are definitely not helping.  When players see guys on form being passed over time and again for the manager's pets and the same tactical mistakes being made over and over, it impacts the morale and motivation of the whole squad.

We have too much talent to be in a relegation scrap - we'll stumble our way to enough points to be comfortable even like this.  But this sure looks like a mid-table side at best right now, and we can'r keep using injuries as an excuse.  Every side has injuries.

I should also note that while Lookman's technical skills are welcome, he stands out right now as much as anything for his initiative.  He wants the ball and tries to do something when he gets it, often with success.

Edited by Deeg67
  • Like 2