Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

Leicester 2-Burnley 2 post match thread.

2 minutes ago, Silver surfer 1 said:

We need to give Benkovic another look .  He was decent when he played in pre season .  Brendan has been proved right with a few players but he’s got a couple wrong (kelechi ) it’s time he gives Benkovic a try .  Vesterguard is not going to rapidly improve , he’s a dumb lump .  

If BR was willing to give Benkovic another look it would have happened by now. Can't see it happening at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beepee1984 said:

Although the result was not what we wanted (and lucky to get a point) we were better. BR eventually dropped Maddison which will hopefully kick him in to action this season.

We actually started the game in a gear other than reverse for only the 2nd time this season (Napoli the other game) and only fell behind to a great Vardy finish. Until yesterday we were the worst team in the league for shots, lacking creativity. We had 22 yesterday. There were definitely positives and the booing from the fans is too premature in my opinion. Our team have always reacted well to the Fans getting behind them and that is what is needed now 

Our defending was still awful, hopefully when Evans is fully fit he can come in an organise it

Have a feeling we won't be seeing too much of Evans in future, hope i'm wrong.

We're dropping points to the cannon fodder of the league, and even our wins haven't looked convincing.

If we were sh1t, it would be a lot less frustrating. We have such a brilliant squad, and a good manager, and when we play, we are up there with the best. Something is missing, and whatever it is, its negative effect is huge.

Edited by adejo92
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

If Barnes was a Spaniard called Perez and not one of our own he'd be hung up by now.

I've watched him since he was a kid inc at MK Dons, Barnsley and West Brom 

On current form he shouldn't be starting

My concern with Barnes, he has everything but brains, his indecision’s are his downfall.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, adejo92 said:

We're dropping points to the cannon fodder of the league, and even our wins haven't looked convincing.

If we were sh1t, it would be a lot less frustrating. We have such a brilliant squad, and a good manager, and when we play, we are up there with the best. Something is missing, and whatever it is, its negative effect is huge.

Burnley aren't cannon fodder ,they are tough , determined bunch. Brighton could go top this afternoon. Nobody and I mean nobody is going to roll over for us this season and we had better get used to it.

I thought going forward we created enough chances to win 2 games.. our movement was quicker than what we have been seeing..

Defensively however it was a shocker..Kasper putting us in trouble in numerous occasions , Vestergaard and Bertrand way below par and Ricardo showing the same defensive frailties he had when we first signed him..

Not sure what Bertrand offers they Thomas doesn’t? 

5 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Burnley aren't cannon fodder ,they are tough , determined bunch. Brighton could go top this afternoon. Nobody and I mean nobody is going to roll over for us this season and we had better get used to it.

They’ve won 4 of their last 25 league matches, taking 16 points. They’re not a good side at the moment. Then again neither are we.

1 hour ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

If Barnes was a Spaniard called Perez and not one of our own he'd be hung up by now.

Barnes is about one of the only players that goes forward with pace. Take him out and it'll be even more painful sideways nonsense.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Larry_LCFC said:

Barnes is about one of the only players that goes forward with pace. Take him out and it'll be even more painful sideways nonsense.

For all his pace, I could probably count on one hand how many times Barnes runs at the full back. He was playing against Matt Lowton, he should have been looking to get it down and run at him each time he got the ball.

Incredible frustrating.

He has not "hit the levels" of last season and I do agree with OP if it was Perez people would be hammering him. 

Edited by Fox92

3 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

For all his pace, I could probably count on one hand how many times Barnes runs at the full back. He was playing against Matt Lowton, he should have been looking to get it down and run at him each time he got the ball.

Incredible frustrating.

He has not "hit the levels" of last season and I do agree with OP if it was Perez people would be hammering him. 

Matt Lowton has been great every time I’ve seen him tbf 

51 minutes ago, dynamark said:

2 each was a poor result but lets face it Vardy should have had 4  (5 with the OG) Barnes missed a sitter and several balls flashed across.

I did think Barnes should have been hooked and Lookman put on the left .Timmy was doing damage on the right,

Yeah poor decision Lookman was making more of an impact, Nacho should of started instead of Soumare also. 

17 minutes ago, Ricey said:

The criticism yesterday for slow play, lack of attacking intent etc is wide if the mark. Yes it’s been a big issue for months but it wasn’t the problem yesterday. We played the ball quickly for the most part and there were some very good one touch passages of play. We created more than enough openings to win the game.

The issue yesterday was the defence. Simple as that.

I thought we looked quite bright whenever we were actually able to get the ball to our forwards or Tielemans/Soumaré in a more advanced position. The problem was there was no point going direct because their defenders would win everything and wouldn't leave space in behind (the only times I can remember them doing so, we scored) so we were stuck trying to build from the back with a keeper who can't pass, two very shaky centre backs, Bertrand who is perpetually on his heels and Ndidi who goes to pieces when pressured. On the occasions Tielemans and Soumaré came deep to pick up the ball and move it forwards I thought we looked fine and with some sharper finishing and end product we'd have won fairly handily. As you say, it certainly wasn't a lack of creativity or attacking intent that cost us.

I'm not really sold on Soumare yet.  He's fine - the performance yesterday was the very definition of a 6 of 10.  But he's not especially creative, nor is he a defensive wall like Ndidi.  He puts a shift in, but he doesn't seem to offer anything exceptional or even notable - at least not yet.

Edited by Deeg67

1 hour ago, Corky said:

Burnley made three or four excellent blocks from shots that were goalbound. We were getting into great areas down the right side in the second half.

Yes we still have a tendency to slow it down too much but the attacking intent was there, they had to defend well.

This is the point. Our attacking play yesterday was not the issue some seem to making it. We were playing a very stubborn and well organised team. We scored two goals and that’s after they secured a flukey opening goal. Defence is another issue that needs addressing but attacking play has improved in large parts since West Ham.

2 hours ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

Barnes will play himself into form, it's the kind of player he is

59 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

I'm not really sold on Soumare yet.  He's fine - the performance yesterday was the very definition of a 6 of 10.  But he's not especially creative, nor is he a defensive wall like Ndidi.  He puts a shift in, but he doesn't seem to offer anything exceptional or even notable - at least not yet.

Agree with this. KDH really should be in front of him. 

21 hours ago, Dusty said:

I’ve come to the conclusion that half the people on here don’t watch the games and just see the result. We weren’t awful or terrible at all, the tactics weren’t bad either, the subs were pretty good overall. 

We dominated them. The main concern from today is how much vestergaard looks out of his depth. On another day we win this comfortably, just wasnt meant to be today. 

Everybody needs to stop being so reactionary.

I was at the game and we were very sloppy, I witnessed 2 occasions where we couldn’t  even trap the ball, and had to go running after it before it went out. We look poor building from the back, wilf was just wilf and can’t be blamed for the dip in form, but vestergard isn’t the right man to deputise for Johnny Evans. Could see him getting on at soyuncu when he’s come in and took over his favoured side and to be honest, done f all. Cats isn’t as suited to that side and still needs that but if guidance and confidence next to him. He looked more comfortable with big dan back there, and the results suggest the same.

1 hour ago, Deeg67 said:

Whilst I’d agree he was 6/10, saying he’s not creative is wide of the mark. He was involved in the first goal and played a beautiful through ball to Vardy who missed a one on one. He was performing a similar role to Tielemans but mirrored on the other side. He progresses the ball and takes the team forwards. 

Considering he’s a young man playing in a totally different environment to what he’s used to he’s been OK. You can see the relationships with other players needs work, notably Barnes and Bertrand who were pretty average themselves. 

On current form Iheanacho should absolutely be in the team but you’ll only get an impact from new recruits by playing them. It’s not that surprising to me that Soumare, Daka, Bertrand and Vestergaard will all be hit and miss initially. In fact I’d remind people that Ricardo and Evans looked shakey in their first few appearances. 

Lookman is the outlier who has gone from being a completely underwhelming signing to possibly the best one we’ve made! He’s added the extra dimension in attack we’ve missed since a certain Algerian left.