Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

Leicester 2-Burnley 2 post match thread.

18 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Whilst I’d agree he was 6/10, saying he’s not creative is wide of the mark. He was involved in the first goal and played a beautiful through ball to Vardy who missed a one on one. He was performing a similar role to Tielemans but mirrored on the other side. He progresses the ball and takes the team forwards. 

Considering he’s a young man playing in a totally different environment to what he’s used to he’s been OK. You can see the relationships with other players needs work, notably Barnes and Bertrand who were pretty average themselves. 

On current form Iheanacho should absolutely be in the team but you’ll only get an impact from new recruits by playing them. It’s not that surprising to me that Soumare, Daka, Bertrand and Vestergaard will all be hit and miss initially. In fact I’d remind people that Ricardo and Evans looked shakey in their first few appearances. 

Lookman is the outlier who has gone from being a completely underwhelming signing to possibly the best one we’ve made! He’s added the extra dimension in attack we’ve missed since a certain Algerian left. 

One of the things I liked about Soumare in videos, before he came here, was his bringing the ball out from the edge of the penalty area into the opponents half and then releasing a ball to a forward of winger, we could really do with this on occasions when we can't pass around the opposition. Hopefully this is something we'll see soon.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Bptiger said:

I think Barnes has lost some of his pace and is hurting his game . Also think that YOURI seemed somewhat slower as well .but then every player seems like there carry a lead bar or is it that we are just not taking the right options and been hesitant 

Tielemans cant get slower, its his style...He pushes forward in Bursts,  then trys to manoeuvre the Run of the game.

his Speed  or individual pace is totally irrelevant..

When we tend to struggle to Open up the game, is when our L.FB & Barnes, hang consistently too Close to the side line & faff around & are not Learning

through a game, when  it aint working...the right side seems more fluent & open,because Ricardo/a.n.other do not  tend to hug that line...

21 minutes ago, messerschmitt said:

One of the things I liked about Soumare in videos, before he came here, was his bringing the ball out from the edge of the penalty area into the opponents half and then releasing a ball to a forward of winger, we could really do with this on occasions when we can't pass around the opposition. Hopefully this is something we'll see soon.

He's still adjusting to the English game, so is rough around the edges. He's shown flashes but hasn't put in an all conquering dominant display yet, which is what I'm expecting from him. 

On current form he's being played ahead of Iheanacho, but isn't offering as much as Nacho. That said, it takes time to learn a new system and get good at it. When Rodgers first came in we looked OK but nothing special. Then over the summer with more time on the training ground, things started to click. That said I'd rather start with Iheanacho given his form.

433 can be a deadly system when it works properly. With 68% possession and 20 shots, you could argue that we are already seeing the positives from it, if you ignore defensive blunders. But against Brighton it didn't look good until Lookman came on. So it's still early days for the system.

All fans are frustrated with out start, but this season Rodgers attempted to fix problems from last time round. Last season most would agree our weaknesses were lack of squad depth, being bullied out of certain games and lack of physicality. Against Burnley we had Vestergaard and Soumare to make us stronger and more physical and we are even playing a new tactical system to try and fix issues. As yet, it hasn't really worked! But at least we didn't just stand still and actively tried to address these problems. 

Let's see if results pick up in the next few weeks or not.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

we defended awfully and yet their Xg was 0.5

maybe one of those days where Xg doesn’t tell the whole story - that kind of number normally means you’ve had a ‘defensive deckchair day’.  

I’d be more inclined to say that a better side would have created a lot more chances against us - but did we set up like we did because we were confident they wouldn’t create those opportunities 

Are you suggesting we set up for a draw? Against Burnley? I admire the positivity within the negativity if that’s truly what we set up for :unsure:

12 minutes ago, fazzyfox said:

It's 9:30 monday morning, just wondering, has Pope taken his goal kick yet?

He looked like he was about to at about 4.38am this morning, then he remembered he had to go back and tap the soles of his boots against the post. We're just waiting for him to finish doing that and hopefully we'll be on our way with the goal kick within the next few hours.

Edited by ClaphamFox
  • Haha 3

Surprisingly entertaining for a match involving Burnley. Sooner they finally get relegated the better haha. Fed up of their antics stinking up the division. 

Very unlucky not to be 1-0 up and then to soon concede the own goal, which obviously gave them the platform they wanted. 

Thought the very harsh early yellow for Vestergaard made him a target for Burnley's long ball and Vydra. 

We look fairly vulnerable defensively throughout but other than their goals, we dominated the match. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

He's still adjusting to the English game, so is rough around the edges. He's shown flashes but hasn't put in an all conquering dominant display yet, which is what I'm expecting from him. 

On current form he's being played ahead of Iheanacho, but isn't offering as much as Nacho. That said, it takes time to learn a new system and get good at it. When Rodgers first came in we looked OK but nothing special. Then over the summer with more time on the training ground, things started to click. That said I'd rather start with Iheanacho given his form.

433 can be a deadly system when it works properly. With 68% possession and 20 shots, you could argue that we are already seeing the positives from it, if you ignore defensive blunders. But against Brighton it didn't look good until Lookman came on. So it's still early days for the system.

All fans are frustrated with out start, but this season Rodgers attempted to fix problems from last time round. Last season most would agree our weaknesses were lack of squad depth, being bullied out of certain games and lack of physicality. Against Burnley we had Vestergaard and Soumare to make us stronger and more physical and we are even playing a new tactical system to try and fix issues. As yet, it hasn't really worked! But at least we didn't just stand still and actively tried to address these problems. 

Agree

I believe, that Front 6 and style was what Rodgers has been wanting to free up. I thought generally it worked and it did look Damn good...

Our Defensive frailties  held us back somewhat, But I enjoyed the game, there were more positives, & unlike some, I was happy to see Soumare,

I thought he Held & played his game well. For a First serious Early outing One could See Rodgers has another Sound Quality player...

Nacho here Nacho there...wasnt the problem, we created & Scores & put movement was good, But needs a few games...

Sometimes with Nacho,sometimes without..

• Like 2

Given what Brownhill said post match it seems that Burnley do work on the time wasting tactics and unashamably exploit it to the max. All teams do it to a certain extent but Burnley are the masters. It needs a strong referee to stamp it out and stoppage time to be correctly given. Sadly we didn't have either on Saturday. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Given what Brownhill said post match it seems that Burnley do work on the time wasting tactics and unashamably exploit it to the max. All teams do it to a certain extent but Burnley are the masters. It needs a strong referee to stamp it out and stoppage time to be correctly given. Sadly we didn't have either on Saturday. 

What did he say?

The crowd did my head in during this game. 

Burnley got a lucky own goal. These things happen. Of course, Burnley did what they do EVERY SINGLE TIME, which is shut up shop - something they do extremely effectively. 

Contrary to what half the crowd would have you believe, the way to penetrate a set-up like Burnley’s is not to hoof it forward Wimbledon ‘95-style. They will mop it up all day long. The way to break them down is to retain possession and wait for a gap to open up - something we actually did quite effectively at times. 

The crowd was whinging and moaning every time we passed the ball sideways or backwards. Then, when we tried a long ball and they mopped it up, they would whinge and moan again.

When a very competent team puts 11 men behind the ball, patience is required. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Saxondale said:

Burnley got a lucky own goal. These things happen. Of course, Burnley did what they do EVERY SINGLE TIME, which is shut up shop - something they do extremely effectively. 

Contrary to what half the crowd would have you believe, the way to penetrate a set-up like Burnley’s is not to hoof it forward Wimbledon ‘95-style. They will mop it up all day long. The way to break them down is to retain possession and wait for a gap to open up - something we actually did quite effectively at times. 

The crowd was whinging and moaning every time we passed the ball sideways or backwards. Then, when we tried a long ball and they mopped it up, they would whinge and moan again.

I was very impressed with the way we took the game to them. We had so many other chances to score if it wasn’t for 2 out of this world blocks by Lowton, the missed header by Vardy and Tielemans shot at the edge of the box which he should have done better with. I’m sure there were other chances too.

That was our best game by some margin and against a team who are experts at defending in numbers.

• Like 1

I thought we played OK going forward - we looked like scoring which is more than could be said for a lot of the games this season. 

Just caught up on MOTD and they are (including the offside) some properly comedy goals defensively. Vestergaard nowhere near on the second goal, and that offside goal is Sunday league. Desperately need Justin/Evans/Fofana back 

39 minutes ago, Saxondale said:

I dont believe most crowds in this country understand the modern way of playing  (nor enjoy it). But you aren’t going to stick the genie back into the bottle now.

they’d enjoy games far more watching non league stuff 

Edited by st albans fox
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Are you suggesting we set up for a draw? Against Burnley? I admire the positivity within the negativity if that’s truly what we set up for :unsure:

Absolutely not 

we appeared to set up without caring too much about defending 

I guess we were expecting a game where they played it long and put crosses into the box. What we got was a game where they used a mobile striker who constantly got up against our least mobile defender whilst their big man was up against soy. And they didn’t just lump it up to wood - they mostly tried to play in the channels for vydra v vester. 

3 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

I think results will pick up, a lot of people can't see past the score, you could argue that if we'd cut out some of the errors and had a bit more luck/been more clinical and not had some ridiculous decisions against us we could/should have won the last two games.

The Iheanacho situation I find more worrying, I've long been a fan of his and took plenty of anti comments defending him over the last few years, but the way he's been playing over the last six months or so, even without much of a run this season he still looks one of our best players.

Listening to Brendan's comments about Iheanacho before the Burnley game didn't give me a lot of confidence that Brendan sees it the way I do, he still managed an assist for Vardy on Saturday. His record for minutes per goals/assists has always been ridiculous and I can't believe he can't be accommodated in the line up behind Vardy or somewhere in a three upfront in the 4.3.3. Like you say it's early days for the 4.3.3. system and I'm not sure we have the full backs for it at the moment. Thomas would suit it better in my opinion and defiantly JJ when he's back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

Had talksport on in the car, and they've spent a good 10-15mins talking about Leicester fans booing, most of which was at the officials rather than the players, minus bringing Lookman off 

Yep was always gonna happen. 90% of the boos were at the officials, the rest probably evenly split between Lookman/us being crap defensively/Maddison/Rodgers etc.... 

Just now, daddylonglegs said:

Yep was always gonna happen. 90% of the boos were at the officials, the rest probably evenly split between Lookman/us being crap defensively/Maddison/Rodgers etc.... 

But they managed to complete avoid mentioned the officials and time wasting, painting it as us being entitled 

7 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

He looked like he was about to at about 4.38am this morning, then he remembered he had to go back and tap the soles of his boots against the post. We're just waiting for him to finish doing that and hopefully we'll be on our way with the goal kick within the next few hours.

I mean - that’s kaspers signature move when we’re up. Just saying.