Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest Kopfkino

Time wasting

Fulham we’re terrible, every time they lost a header they held their heads.

I think it should be like the World Cup and all the stoppages should be added. Any silly kicking the ball away an instant booking.

Time limit of going off and player that does anything other than going straight off the pitch gets booked.(going to hug team mates like the arsenal player did on Saturday)

I know it’s the same for each team and we do it if we are winning. But doesn’t mean it’s a good thing.

having said that, they could’ve added 4 days on on Saturday and we still might have only had 1 more shot.

• 2 months later...

Interesting debate on Adrian Childs on 5-Live about time wasting. 3 matches this season had less than 45 mins of play with the average being 54 mins. Everton averaged 51 seconds to take throw-ins when they played Man City! Lots of discussion with Keith Hackett about the keeper 6 second rule that isn't being applied. 

Something not mentioned is the overlong goal celebrations. 

5 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Interesting debate on Adrian Childs on 5-Live about time wasting. 3 matches this season had less than 45 mins of play with the average being 54 mins. Everton averaged 51 seconds to take throw-ins when they played Man City! Lots of discussion with Keith Hackett about the keeper 6 second rule that isn't being applied. 

Something not mentioned is the overlong goal celebrations. 

I heard some of this too. I'm all for taking the time away from the ref and having a stop clock. As much as it would take away the historical 90 minutes, time wasting seems to be getting worse. Arsenal just took the **** at the king power this season and the ref did nothing. They know if they feign an injury the ref will stop the game, but not add anywhere near the time it takes up.  And by the sounds of it Everton must have spent about a quarter of the game taking throw ins!

New rule: When a free kick or throw-in is given, the offending team cannot touch the ball. 10 metre advance of the free kick if so. Second time a booking for the offending player. No quick free kicks. Free kick taken only after the referees whistle is blown.

Edited by Long Eaton Fox
  • Like 2

You can set your watch to Arsenals 30, 60 and 75 minute "head injury incidents" which handily coincide with the drinks and supplement sachets being dished out whilst Arteta runs a powerpoint presentation on his IPAD to the circle of the 10 other players. It's almost as if it's planned :dunno:.

• Like 1

Goal kicks and throw ins are the worst. There is no excuse for 50 seconds to a minute to be lost waiting for players to do a natural play. Not even like lining up a shot from a free-kick which you could understand time being taken over.

A reasonable time is 15-20 seconds to get a goal kick or throw in taken. Of course the ball will go to the back of the stand and that takes time but stop the failing to pick the ball up, moving the goal kick across the area etc.

The time wasting happens all the way down the pyramid. I regularly watch Coalville in the 7th tier and the amount of teams I have seen doing it down there is ridiculous.

Absolutely embarrassing to see it at that level. Something definitely needs to be done about it.

3 hours ago, Long Eaton Fox said:

New rule: When a free kick or throw-in is given, the offending team cannot touch the ball. 10 metre advance of the free kick if so. Second time a booking for the offending player. No quick free kicks. Free kick taken only after the referees whistle is blown.

We don't need more rules we need the refs to use the ones they've already got.

Oh tell them to speed up the time it takes to set up and take a free kick at goal.

• Like 1

Faking injuries is what does my head in. Especially when a team is winning. They call it ‘dark art’ but it’s blatantly cheating. I’ve not paid to see grown me rolling on the floor. It really annoys me. Fulham at the KP and Arsenal have been the worst against us at home. They all play on the head injury rule where it stops when they hold their head. They then waste time and get the medical team on. But it seems that the time doesn’t get added. 

It needs cracking on and refs need to be stronger. Why isn’t var used more to stamp out diving etc…and to punish those that do. 

Edited by fox_favourite
  • Like 3

Problem with sport and football in particular because of it's popularity (and high amount of professional/competitive leagues) is that rule changes affect the entire food chain globally. Going from running clock to effective time may seem obvious and a small adjustment, but my guess is it would be difficult to implement throughout all levels. It seems there is an intent to keeping the game as homogenois across all leagues as possible. Could some rules be implemented in top tier competitions only, like VAR? Maybe, but there a sure to be a lot more considerations and obstacles than meets the eye.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
50 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

A new low yesterday with the Blackburn keeper walking around his area stamping on balloons instead of taking a goal kick. Sensational.

34 minutes ago, CrazyKopCorner said:

Blackburn goalkeeper also fuching the ground every time the ball was in his arms. Ref should have given him a yellow no later than 60 minutes instead he let him get away with it - these refs are almost completely useless 

As I’ve said many times they don’t need more laws just act on the ones you’ve got. 

• Like 4

Biggest farce ever is the GK six seconds rule. 

Honestly it's more like 26 seconds they collect the ball and time waste it with.

Refs to blame however. They don't enforce the rules at all

2 hours ago, peterborofox said:

Biggest farce ever is the GK six seconds rule. 

Honestly it's more like 26 seconds they collect the ball and time waste it with.

Refs to blame however. They don't enforce the rules at all

The refs just needs to grow some bollocks and start actually booking them

They can say they will add the time back on but you know they never add on the actual full amount that is being wasted

• Like 4

I sometimes it’s as much about the ref happy for the clock to wind down. He had no interest in hurrying Blackburn’s keeper who didn’t even try and pretend to be doing anything other than time wasting. The slow play meant the ref had less actual game time to manage. It felt like the ref was happy to dial it in, reduce the amount of actual reffing he had to do and take a nice easy pay day! 

2 hours ago, funkyrobot said:

I sometimes it’s as much about the ref happy for the clock to wind down. He had no interest in hurrying Blackburn’s keeper who didn’t even try and pretend to be doing anything other than time wasting. The slow play meant the ref had less actual game time to manage. It felt like the ref was happy to dial it in, reduce the amount of actual reffing he had to do and take a nice easy pay day! 

well he missed adding 2 mins onto the extra 6 where the player was down injured so you're probably correct.

• Like 1