Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest Kopfkino

Time wasting

Ref didn't take control of it at all today. Book one of them for it early on and nip it in the bud - Pope was shocking and could have been booked on 5 or 6 occasions. Incredibly frustrating.

Lost my head at that Cornet incident too. As OP has said, time wasting is a stain on the game and Burnley were particularly bad proponents of it today.

All teams do it because all teams go without effective punishment for it. Burnley take it to an extreme, repeatedly taking almost a minute to take a goal kick or a free kick and 25-30 seconds for throw-ins. It all adds up to several minutes in each half which aren't accounted for by the referee. The Cornet farce summed it all up, timewasting due to him crawling back onto the pitch to exaggerate his injury, compounded by Mee trying to engage various City players in arguments. I'd like to see referees be more realistic in the time they add on, so repetitive timewasting is properly dealt with. 

1 hour ago, Webbo said:

We'd do the same, it's part of the game. 

It's not part of the game, it's blatant cheating and against the laws of the game.  If we do it then we should be punished (yellow cards) just the same as everyone else. That would soon put a stop to it but no referee has the courage to apply the laws.

• Like 1

The 'time wasting' itself doesn't bother me because it's part of the game management in that particular moment. We do it ourselves at times. It's the ref not adding that time on at the end or the clock not being stopped that takes the piss. I don't actually think Pope did anything wrong today. He was very close to crossing the line, but not enough for a booking imo.

Edited by Stuntman_Mike
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Hales said:

I can't stand time wasting and my pet hate is players stopping free kicks and throw ins by throwing the ball away! 😡 maybe it's because we are too nice and don't do it 😆  it needs to be punished though

I’m pretty sure that this punishable by a yellow card . Perhaps the refs just don’t enforce the sanction 

Guest Kopfkino
2 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Burnley and every other team will do whatever it takes to get the job done. Football is not about fairness (and believe me it never was) its about doing whatever is necessary to get the result you want.

Another one that doesn’t grasp the concept of what it should be rather than what it is.

They got rid of the back pass because it was absurd way to waste time. It’s for the rule makers and enforcers to sort it out, not just accept it for whatever convoluted reason you can come up with

1 hour ago, Webbo said:

Bad take this. Burnley were at it from the 25th min. The longer they don’t actually have to play football in a match the better for them. That attitude is not part of the game (well apart from Burnleys game)

• Thanks 1

Just now, Unabomber said:

Bad take this. Burnley were at it from the 25th min. The longer they don’t actually have to play football in a match the better for them. That attitude is not part of the game (well apart from Burnleys game)

No they weren't and even if they were so what? 

Burnley fc don't exist to please us, they need to win points just the same as everybody else. 

Edited by Webbo

Time wasting aside they're a far more positive and attacking team with intent and efficiency. Burnley, let that sink in.

They control the game rightly or wrong by time wasting.

We 'control' the game by playing sideways and backwards passes, endlessly going no where, ultimately time wasting, same difference, wasting my time I know.

One's considered negative, the other is considered an unwritten rule of 'how the modern game should be played'. Beyond me.

Edited by Matt
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Webbo said:

Funnily enough, i was thinking today how we dont do it enough compared to most teams. Its a form of game management and i hate it personally, but the referees never really punish it.   If a Keeper is booked for wasting time, he knows if he does it again the Referee wont book him again and send him off, so it makes no difference.  Its like when a player goes down pretending he`s injured to waste time.  He knows if he is down for 3 minutes the referee wont actually add all that time on.   In the first half today when Cornet done his hamstring but then walked onto the pitch before going down, the referee initially told him to go off the pitch, but the player took no notice, and eventually he let the trainers on.  That incident on its own was probably more than 2 minutes, and earlier in the half when they were wasting time taking a corner, the referee was pointing at his watch suggesting that he had stopped his watch and it would be added on, but when it came down to it, he only added 2 minutes at the end of the first half, which was a joke, but like i say, players and managers know that Referees wont add all the time they should do, and so the time wasting will continue. It should be clamped down on more, but it wont be.

The referees (along with some fans, it seems) have been captured by a media/TV pundit culture that says it’s ‘part of the game’, ‘gamesmanship’, etc

It’s not - it’s against the rules, and if referees clamped down on it hard early in the game it would put a stop to it. 

Today’s referee was very weak again. 

There was a particularly farcical moment when their GK was wasting time - he didn’t book him, he just stood there with his finger on his wrist. What’s that going to do? 

30 minutes ago, Matt said:

Time wasting aside they're a far more positive and attacking team with intent and efficiency. Burnley, let that sink in.

They control the game rightly or wrong by time wasting.

We 'control' the game by playing sideways and backwards passes, endlessly going no where, ultimately time wasting, same difference, wasting my time I know.

One's considered negative, the other is considered an unwritten rule of 'how the modern game should be played'. Beyond me.

Your agenda is mental.Burnley are not a far more attacking and positive team than us. I assume you would rather us just twat it long to Vardy constantly? 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Unabomber said:

Your agenda is mental.Burnley are not a far more attacking and positive team than us. I assume you would rather us just twat it long to Vardy constantly? 

Over constant sideways and backward football? Sure.

But it's not that black or white is it.