Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest Kopfkino

Time wasting

Before the game I said to a mate how much I hate Burnley as they’re so anti-football. Yesterday they were cynical in their time-wasting but it only made that final VAR decision so unbelievably sweet.

I envy the people near them at the game who would’ve seen their disappointed little faces. Bliss.

• Like 1

Why not take the responsibility for any lull/stoppage away from the ref. allowing him/her to concentrate solely on infringements. Far easier for an observer isolated from the physical involvement in the game to time these periods.

Keepers falling on the ball, players taking the ball to the corner flag, interminable throw-ins and rolling on the floor without due cause, players crowding the ref., Schmeichel knocking his boots on the uprights :D - all, apart from the latter, could be timed by a 5th official (are the VAR mob counted as 'officials'?)

And how about allowing an unchallenged throw-in - just to keep the game flowing?

11 minutes ago, gerblod said:

Why not take the responsibility for any lull/stoppage away from the ref. allowing him/her to concentrate solely on infringements. Far easier for an observer isolated from the physical involvement in the game to time these periods.

Keepers falling on the ball, players taking the ball to the corner flag, interminable throw-ins and rolling on the floor without due cause, players crowding the ref., Schmeichel knocking his boots on the uprights :D - all, apart from the latter, could be timed by a 5th official (are the VAR mob counted as 'officials'?)

And how about allowing an unchallenged throw-in - just to keep the game flowing?

It’s  a little more complicated than that 

has to be all throw ins and all goal kicks/ free kicks - basically all stoppages.  So you have an allowed stoppage time for a break in play - say twenty seconds and once that has elapsed, the clock is stopped until the ball comes back into play. The ref still has to take responsibility to keep the game moving or teams under pressure will extend breaks in play to affect the momentum of the opposition, knowing that there won’t be any yellow card sanction. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

Players gonna get away with it if they can. We'd do it if we were winning away at Old Trafford or Anfield.

Yeah we would but not starting half way though the first half 

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

Referees need to start booking players. Force the players into then deciding whether they want to time waste.

The ref must of told the keeper at least 15 times with an arm movement to hurry up at goal kicks, a couple of warnings as courtesy should have been done then a yellow card 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Bats8711 said:

There are several painfully obvious and easily fixable things about the game and this is certainly one of them. I understand that the running clock is a really hard coded part of things - but this isn’t 1890 and we don’t need to count time by how quickly the sheep eat the grass in the adjacent pasture - we have things called clocks. 

- stop the clock for injuries

- stop the clock for subs

- have a “shot clock” for throw ins, free kicks, goal kicks and corners. Make it whatever you want. 6 seconds, 10 seconds etc. if the ball isn’t put in play by the time the clock hits zero - it’s a yellow card. 

these changes would make the game somewhere between 1000-10000000% better

I don't think the game needs to be stopped for subs, the 4th official could take care of it, Don't let the new player on until the old one has left the pitch, why stop the game?

12 hours ago, Matt said:

Perhaps because we continue to be so awfully negative.

But negative football FTW as far as some are concerned.

It wasn't a sparking display but we scored twice, missed another couple of great chances and had about four goal bound shots blocked. We spent most of the second half on the attack down the right.

The stats back up that we were going for it.

6 hours ago, messerschmitt said:

I don't think the game needs to be stopped for subs, the 4th official could take care of it, Don't let the new player on until the old one has left the pitch, why stop the game?

Because that’s not happening - hence the need (IMO) for reform. that time is supposed to be added on anyway, right?

I should have added 

- stop the clock for VAR reviews

- stop the clock for penalties (or advance it a predetermined amount of time such as one minute)

- stop the clock for goals (or advance one minute)

in other words - stop the clock when the game isn’t happening. 

if that ends up making games too long, then reduce the time in each half from 45 minutes accordingly.

But - isn’t time theoretically supposed to be added on for all this stuff anyway? Now it’s just some dudes arbitrary decision - it’s this thing where there’s this built in level of ambiguity in the game that people are just so used to they can’t see that it makes no sense and is completely unnecessary. 

making these changes 100% eliminates time wasting and the complete crap shoot of how long a game is. Why wouldn’t any fan want that?

12 hours ago, Sublime_Coatsworth said:

Before the game I said to a mate how much I hate Burnley as they’re so anti-football. Yesterday they were cynical in their time-wasting but it only made that final VAR decision so unbelievably sweet.

I envy the people near them at the game who would’ve seen their disappointed little faces. Bliss.

Heard complaints from Liverpool and Everton fans about them as well. Both of them eventually beat them but said it really lowered the quality of the game. Really hoping karma gets them this time. There’s shithousery and then there is blatant cheating. 

• Like 1

On 26/09/2021 at 12:11, Cardiff_Fox said:

Made worse by a ref what aided it - look at that Cornet situation, tells him to get off the pitch but he refused. Then he waves on the physios anyway. He completely defeated the object of him coming off 

Of all of what went on on Saturday (because we all do it) this was the worst. He stood over him and told him to leave, then just backed down like a weak referee. He walked back on fine. It was utterly pathetic from the player and referee. 

He literally should have stood there pointing at his watch, not letting the physio on until he got off, even if it took 10 minutes. Add the time on and away you go.

As for the goal kick nonsense, all clubs are guilty but whilst referees will again be weak as by simply waving their arm to hurry up, before offering a token booking in 90+3, it'll go on forever. If the Premier League actually got multiball as well it might go even a tiny way to helping.

Leicester fans got irate with Burnley’s tendency to go to ground to waste time as they twice led against Leicester but Brownhill defended the ploy. “I think it is part and parcel of football,” he said. “Whoever is winning, you are not going to want to speed things up. It is all about seeing the game out. We are going to calm the game down and try and take it at our pace. If it was the other way around perhaps they would do the same. We’ll do anything to get that win.”

LINK

"Seeing the game out" from the 25th minute onwards? Hmmmmmm. I think the goal kicks and stuff do get exaggerated because they're not particularly quick when the game is 0-0, but the throw-ins and free-kicks situation was absurd: they seemed to actively not want to play a game of football. Which was weird because when they did they caused our defence all sorts of problems!

Just to add I think I would happily take a clamping down on this even if it means we'd struggle more against the better sides. 

Edited by Number 6
Added Point

15 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Time wasting is an art form - it's all part of effective game management. If we could win every game 1-0 and time wasting was a part of that then so be it. 

Burnley don't win every game 1-0 but still do it. If every team did it then the game would die as a spectacle. 

Burnley are similar to Bolton under Allardyce in that they cover deficiencies by exploiting the rules to gain advantage. If the officials are unwilling to take a grip then rule changes are needed. 

For the injury at the side of the pitch where Cornet came back on, it is noticeable that the ref was weak and allowed the injured player to dictate when the game stopped and started.

Referees previously tried only stopping the game for serious injury / head injury and gradually that has been undermined by opponents kicking the ball out in sympathy.

Players rolling around and thumping the ground or calling for help as if they broke their leg, (then springing up straight afterwards by a medical miracle) hasn't helped either.

This has caused refs to begin stopping play again for less severe injuries.

Wolves players yesterday getting "injuries" and "cramp" in the last 10 minutes against Southampton was pretty awful to watch.  

The game could get around these problems by implementing properly the existing laws without having to introduce stop clocks, etc.

Only ever stop the game if its a serious injury. Discourage players from kicking it out in"in sympathy".  If the player isn't in danger, try to play on in all circumstances.

Edited by Vacamion

33 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Not so far, no. But using a larger sample size over the last few years and you can't describe them as ineffective. I don't particularly enjoy watching Burnley play or rate them, but I do respect what they do as a unit. I'd happily see them go down but you don't stay in the league for as long as they have on being just time wasters aiming to not lose - they manage games well in various aspects and are better offensively than they get given credit for. 

To be fair I thought they would disappear without a trace when they dropped last time but they bounced straight back - so there is something there. I agree that they are effective in what they do, even now looking at the bottom of the table they're probably the team you look at and just assume they will pick up the 10 wins they need from somewhere to stay up.

I think they just belong to a cluster of teams who are happy to shithouse their way to 40 points and that's all they care about. Which is fine, not everyone in the league is going to play beautiful football - but I am going to cheer a little bit louder when those teams go down. 

• 2 weeks later...

"Northern Ireland had Jamal Lewis sent off for time-wasting in the first half as a dramatic 2-0 defeat by Switzerland all but ended their World Cup qualification hopes.

The Newcastle United defender was shown a second yellow card in the 36th minute for taking too long over a throw-in."

16 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

"Northern Ireland had Jamal Lewis sent off for time-wasting in the first half as a dramatic 2-0 defeat by Switzerland all but ended their World Cup qualification hopes.

The Newcastle United defender was shown a second yellow card in the 36th minute for taking too long over a throw-in."

If  Castange gets that ref then he won’t make it to twenty mins !  

• Haha 1

On 25/09/2021 at 17:03, Webbo said:

We'd do the same, it's part of the game. 

....we don't, we are not cute enough to do so!!!

Kasper goes through that ritual of kicking  the post, but delaying free kicks and being aware is not one if our strengths. We do not harass the referee, we do not attempt to coerce decisions we are too nice.

There is obvious time wasting and referees need to stamp it out. Make an example and the rest will eventually fall in line.