Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest Kopfkino

Time wasting

• 1 month later...

Stop clock for

- injuries

- subs

- goals

- penalties

- VAR checks

Have a “shot clock” for

- throw ins

- corners

- goal kicks 

- free kicks

If doing this results in games being too long, reduce each half by 5 minutes til you find the right balance. 

It’s hard to overestimate how much this would improve the game. Infinitely.

• Like 1

If referees were more consistent in booking people for time-wasting it would stop pretty quickly. You get some players wasting time in minute one, so book them in minute one. Absolutely no reason a throw-in should take more than ten seconds, or a corner more than thirty. 

• Like 2

Guest ttfn

Seems completely mad to me that in 2022 we still have the referee being responsible for time keeping at the top level. The game is played at 100mph (unless we’re playing), you’ve got a 50 year old man chasing after elite athletes who spend half the time trying to deceive the officials and he’s supposed to also be trying to work out how much added time should be played?

This is a multi-billion pound industry, surely in the PL/Europe they can pay an extra official who is the time keeper and makes sure an appropriate amount of added time is played?

And that is just a solution to keep the game (nominally) at 90 minutes, I’d have no issue whatsoever with going to a 60 minute stop-clock in the professional game and staying at 90 mins for the amateur game.

6 minutes ago, ttfn said:

Seems completely mad to me that in 2022 we still have the referee being responsible for time keeping at the top level. The game is played at 100mph (unless we’re playing), you’ve got a 50 year old man chasing after elite athletes who spend half the time trying to deceive the officials and he’s supposed to also be trying to work out how much added time should be played?

This is a multi-billion pound industry, surely in the PL/Europe they can pay an extra official who is the time keeper and makes sure an appropriate amount of added time is played?

And that is just a solution to keep the game (nominally) at 90 minutes, I’d have no issue whatsoever with going to a 60 minute stop-clock in the professional game and staying at 90 mins for the amateur game.

Yes. Ref should not be in charge of time keeping.

2 hours ago, Spudulike said:

Not sure if a stop clock and 60 minute games are the answer but something has to be done. 

Does football need a 60-minute 'stop-clock'? - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61342349

I’m all up for it but the only question I have is that it’s something else that will only really benefit the “big” teams yet again. 

Dont want it stopping every dead ball but certainly for 'injuries' and substitutions. Maybe give referee power to stop stop of the clock if keepers are taking the piss, which they will late on (or in the 20th minute if you're Emi Martinez) 

1 hour ago, Foxdiamond said:

There is no doubt the governance of the game is sloppy in aspects such as time wasting. Players simply going down for bogus treatment when refs should be telling them to get off the pitch for so called medical attention. 

They've certainly managed to exploit the head injury rule. It was always clear that would happen. 

2 hours ago, Asha said:

Goalkeepers are among the biggest culprits of this too. 

Since when did referees stop being arsed about the six second rule?

Is that still a thing? 

Infuriating when they catch a cross cleanly but still manage to hit the deck to waist some more seconds. If the refs don't take action then it will continue. 

21 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Is that still a thing? 

Infuriating when they catch a cross cleanly but still manage to hit the deck to waist some more seconds. If the refs don't take action then it will continue. 

Per the current FIFA Laws of the Game:

An indirect free kick is awarded if a goalkeeper, inside their penalty area, commits any of the following offences:

controls the ball with the hands for more than six seconds before releasing it

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, davieG said:

An indirect free kick is awarded if a goalkeeper, inside their penalty area, commits any of the following offences:

Rules are a joke. A ball skims out players fingertips and it’s deemed a pen after microscopic videos replays are viewed again and again yet this goalkeeper rule is being broken several times each game.

Common sense is needed in all aspects of the game but I don’t think any offical out there has any bottle to make a judgement call and explain their actions. It needs a complete clear out because all the officials, European included are rubbish.

I still think the best official I’ve seen was the female ref in one of our euro games. I was shocked how good she was and allowed the game to flow.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Foxdiamond said:

There is no doubt the governance of the game is sloppy in aspects such as time wasting. Players simply going down for bogus treatment when refs should be telling them to get off the pitch for so called medical attention. 

...and if a player came off the pitch for treatment, if he has any sense  he should stay clear of his team's dressing room!!!

The amount of flak he would get for doing so, would be unreal. It is tantamount to not taking a yellow for the team to stop a counter attack. 

If you come off the pitch, it leaves your team one down with the game in motion, so far as a manager is concerned, you go down and stay down. 

14 hours ago, davieG said:

I saw one given this season. Watched Sunderland Vs Crewe at stadium of light. Crewe keeper taking the p*ss. Ref gives indirect free kick. Whole crowd amazed. Sunderland mess up free kick-no shock.  First time I've seen it for years.

3 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...and if a player came off the pitch for treatment, if he has any sense  he should stay clear of his team's dressing room!!!

The amount of flak he would get for doing so, would be unreal. It is tantamount to not taking a yellow for the team to stop a counter attack. 

If you come off the pitch, it leaves your team one down with the game in motion, so far as a manager is concerned, you go down and stay down. 

The problem is the ref not taking proper control. Either adding the time on or watching out for play acting.