Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Legia Warsaw 0-1 Post Match Thread

1 minute ago, Vacamion said:

Think of the chances we missed.

Perez kicking it away from goal instead of into the net 1st half.

Perez later in 1st half nicking that one off Daka and shooting wide.

Perez disallowed goal, which looked harsh.

Daka getting the ball under his feet and behind himself when he might have got a shot in.

Vestergaard header off his shoulder stopped on the line.

Madders into side netting at the end.

We ARE making chances, we just need the monks back in or something to change how it drops for us.

Trouble is, the opposition are also making chances. They should have scored twice at the very end because we have cart horses as defenders. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, woollett the bullet said:

I was wondering this. 

Has the luxury, cosseted new training ground made them soft and had an effect on the attitudes? 

Other than the Napoli game,  the team has turned up and looked like they can win at a stroll. 

It was a bit tongue in cheek but I think there has been a gradual drop in standard since moving. It does appear the culture around the club has become all too nice and comfortable, and I include our supporters in that. The air is thick with a sense of entitlement. It just appears to me that our opponents are trying harder and in general have a much more positive attitude. The Legia supporters and players fought for hard for the win and deserved it much more than us.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

I agree. But let's be honest with ourselves. Soyuncu was first choice with either Evans or Little Wes for much of the start of last season. I love JJ and really want him back ASAP. But he was missing for much of last season. Castagne and Ricardo should be more than a brilliant set of full backs. So this argument that missing three defenders is responsible for how shit we are wears a little thin. The midfield is gash and the whole lack of attacking intent is killing us. 

When did JJ go missing, when he had his horrible long-term injury? He was playing great for us. 

38 minutes ago, FoxesWalk said:

Tielemans, who fancies himself as a leader, was extremely poor (and has been for a few games now) and did nothing to galvanise a team that really lacked leadership

...he may be the playmaker but he has never been a leader!!!

You are looking for something that has never been there, we haven't got a leader in the team and Kasper is in no position to affect the team from where he is.

• Like 1

Well that was awful.

Defensively a shambles. I think Brendan is constantly trying to protect the back 4 and it is making us impotent going forwards whisky still being awful at the back.

Also a bit worried by Daka. Thought he looked way off the levels we were hoping for.

The worry with tonight’s lack of performance is that it stemmed from poor coaching.

Brendan’s picked a team that on paper should do a job - but what was completely lacking was any notion of pattern of play and how we were going to go about scoring goals.

Our dire tempo, directionless passing and lack of off the ball movement are all hallmarks of a side that has been sent out without sufficient preparation and instruction.

Some serious work on the training ground to find our attacking identity is desperately needed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Harry the Cat said:

Trouble is, the opposition are also making chances. They should have scored twice at the very end because we have cart horses as defenders. 

Yeah, we do leave ourselves open to the counter when we are having a go late on, because we are behind, which springs from, as you say, the cart horse stuff.

Doesn't help when one of our centre backs looks slower than everyone he runs against, either.

Sigh.

I think to be fair to Brendan he's rotating the squad who should all able to step in, to many average displays are dragging us down as a whole.

When looking who came in.

Thomas.. I like him but was so passive, I'm sure 90% of his play went backwards.. and he was deplayed as a wingback... a shadow of Barnes , who himself is not in great form.

KDH.. "here's you chance to show us your quality" - just failed to get going at all.. and went missing badly, not clearing the first man on deadballs.. its basics.

Daka... only second start, started brightly but faded away.

Perez... surprised he was taken off.. one of the few who looked creative.

well..it's goes on, we're in rut on the whole as a team with only a handful in form.. I'd say Vardy, Castagne, Kels (given the chance) and Lookman have any sort of  spark, so we have to be looking to start these every game to try and bring the others up them.

Not he end of the world.. and I have confidence it will come good but its hard work to watch right now. 

Edited by berniethebolt

5 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Is the safe passing down to a lack of confidence or because Rodgers is obsessed with control and possession? The only time I've seen Rodgers show any genuine passion on the touchline was when we were 3 up in the first half v West Brom in March after playing fast, attacking football. He started kicking water bottles around. We then came out in the second and "controlled" the game without looking like scoring and he said he was very happy with the second half performance. Since then we've been dull and boring even when we've scraped the odd win. 

There's an element of that for sure. But a world class central midfielder knows when to change the tempo of the game and how to do it. Examples in point, the Euro 2020 final where after a terrible first half, Italy totally bossed the second, with Jorginho and Veratti in particular stamping their authority on the game. Croatia in 2018 did the same with Rakitic and Modric.

Youri TIelemans is a very, very good player. But that's what he lacks IMO which is the reason we have him and not a Champions League club is that he can't yet do that himself. IE step up and say "this is MY game" in terms of football and running the game. We did get a lot, lot better in that second half, but he's the man that needs to be doing that without coaching. It's up to him to demand his teammates inject extra tempo and pace into the game. Youri still created some of our best chances in that game, such as his ball to Castagne. For me this was a Tielemans 6/10 game and that's why we got nothing from it.

Rodgers himself does need to get players our of their shells though. I don't think he deliberately wants us to play this slowly even if he does want to control the game. But too many players choose the safe pass, probably because things aren't going well for us at the moment.

Really fearing the Palace game now. We are desperate for a big performance and result from any game. It's all feeling a bit 16/17 at the moment :(

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StriderHiryu said:

There's an element of that for sure. But a world class central midfielder knows when to change the tempo of the game and how to do it. Examples in point, the Euro 2020 final where after a terrible first half, Italy totally bossed the second, with Jorginho and Veratti in particular stamping their authority on the game. Croatia in 2018 did the same with Rakitic and Modric.

Youri TIelemans is a very, very good player. But that's what he lacks IMO which is the reason we have him and not a Champions League club is that he can't yet do that himself. IE step up and say "this is MY game" in terms of football and running the game. We did get a lot, lot better in that second half, but he's the man that needs to be doing that without coaching. It's up to him to demand his teammates inject extra tempo and pace into the game. Youri still created some of our best chances in that game, such as his ball to Castagne. For me this was a Tielemans 6/10 game and that's why we got nothing from it.

Rodgers himself does need to get players our of their shells though. I don't think he deliberately wants us to play this slowly even if he does want to control the game. But too many players choose the safe pass, probably because things aren't going well for us at the moment.

Really fearing the Palace game now. We are desperate for a big performance and result from any game. It's all feeling a bit 16/17 at the moment :(

Agree entirely with assessment of Youri and much more. 

• Thanks 1

Personally, I thought Daka was one of the (few) positives. He had sod all service but showed some really good touches, good awareneas, good runs and he plays like he both knows how to score and wants. 

I don't think he's at his best against against packed/compressed defences - and that's something we always allow to happen with our slow build up. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

I agree. But let's be honest with ourselves. Soyuncu was first choice with either Evans or Little Wes for much of the start of last season. I love JJ and really want him back ASAP. But he was missing for much of last season. Castagne and Ricardo should be more than a brilliant set of full backs. So this argument that missing three defenders is responsible for how shit we are wears a little thin. The midfield is gash and the whole lack of attacking intent is killing us. 

I still believe the defence is the problem and individual errors to be honest.

One massive change that people don't really talk about it is Big Wes retiring. Him around the team and defence in training would be a huge miss his experience really would help.

• Like 1