Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Collymore

Something doesn't make sense or seem right...

8 minutes ago, Silver surfer 1 said:

Do you think Brendan is engineering this demise ? So that he gets the sack gets his money .  Others will think he’s still very good and harshly treated , gets another job like a Newcastle stay in job 3 years then off again .  Making lots of money , starts well then gets found out and blows his cover .  

No, why would he do this? A few months ago there was talks of Arsenal and Spurs, why would he settle for Newcastle et. al. 

20 minutes ago, Lcfc82 said:

It’s more than just an issue with the defence though. Although having Evans back will be a boost.

It’s the style of play and lack of intent to go out and win games, especially against weaker opponents. We are always slow out of the traps in games, I can’t remember us ever making a flying start to a game since West Brom last season.

Fair point, we are far too passive. But I think some of that comes from the uncertainty in defence - if the players in front of them had confidence in the defence, then they'd be prepared to take more risks. 

I do wonder how difficult it is for this team to stay motivated, I was impressed with how we bounced back last season after the disappointment of missing out on top 4 but to do it again was always going to be a big ask, over the last couple of years there’s been goals that are clearly achievable, chasing that top 4 and winning the FA Cup, you achieve one of those but the other is now more out of sight than ever after coming so close and most would’ve said we had no chance before this season even started, the players aren’t stupid you see how the top 4 strengthened you couldn’t blame them for feeling the same way, it’s easy to take that 5th place for granted and probably the only thing you can aim toward is winning the Europa League which feels about as likely as top 4 right now.

Just has a similar feel to 16/17 where after such a high it’s difficult to continue at that same level. 

2 hours ago, Silver surfer 1 said:

Do you think Brendan is engineering this demise ? So that he gets the sack gets his money .  Others will think he’s still very good and harshly treated , gets another job like a Newcastle stay in job 3 years then off again .  Making lots of money , starts well then gets found out and blows his cover .  

Do you think he's that tactically aware? ;)

I'd love to see us demonstrate such creative deviousness on the pitch. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Yes said:

I do wonder how difficult it is for this team to stay motivated, I was impressed with how we bounced back last season after the disappointment of missing out on top 4 but to do it again was always going to be a big ask, over the last couple of years there’s been goals that are clearly achievable, chasing that top 4 and winning the FA Cup, you achieve one of those but the other is now more out of sight than ever after coming so close and most would’ve said we had no chance before this season even started, the players aren’t stupid you see how the top 4 strengthened you couldn’t blame them for feeling the same way, it’s easy to take that 5th place for granted and probably the only thing you can aim toward is winning the Europa League which feels about as likely as top 4 right now.

Just has a similar feel to 16/17 where after such a high it’s difficult to continue at that same level. 

This.

Think people are underplaying the psychological elements at play. 

We've got the simultaneous high of winning the cup and low of missing out on CL for 2nd year running. The players will know that the club is generally on the up and in a great position to 'go places' but also know that other teams have massively strengthened with players and managers and it's now harder than ever to get into top 4. Meanwhile Europa is still a very difficult competition to navigate. 

On top of that you've got a host of signings that will take a while to adapt. Bertrand and Vestergaard didn't have great seasons with Southampton. Vestergaard didn't really have a pre-season. Bertrand had Covid? Soumare and Daka are adapting to a new country and culture and league. It's a big step up for them. 

Meanwhile you've got players like Maddison, Barnes and Ricardo coming back from injury/lack of form. Maybe even Castagne belongs in that group too, with his horrific eye injury. 

Soyuncu and Tielemans knackered from so much football. Vardy has scored some great goals but is in decline (it's only natural). The Fofana injury I think is a threshold moment for when the mood in the camp changed to more of a victim/negativity feeling. Think it's only natural with that, plus Evan's situation and JJ they all thought 'Oh here we go again'. 

Heck even Rodgers who's normally very positive and philosophical about everything said something along the lines of "It's a shame because we feel we can't compete"

• Like 2

Combine injuries and the collapse of form in the second half of each of the last two seasons with what is going on now and a worrying picture does emerge. The FA Cup is starting to look like a blip.

There are definitely things wrong and if we don't turn things round quickly we are going to be in a fair amount of trouble. We now need to win almost all the remaining EL games to qualify something I can't frankly see happening.

I do think we have been and remain a bit of a flat track bully. When sides sit off and gives space to play we are dynamic but faced with any level of opponent prepared to put in a shift and close us down and we frankly look lost. We also seem to capable of only playing decent stuff for 10-20 minutes per game.

We've invested a fair amount in transfers this summer and arguably our first 11 is no stronger.

Youri has gone in my opinion. If not in January then in the summer. He's also footballed out and we have no replacement. We can carry 2 or 3 players below par but not 7 or 8 which is where we are right now.

3 hours ago, Silver surfer 1 said:

I doubt it as Rodgers has only 1 more realistic shot at the big club he craves and that's doing well here and then moving on. He'd almost got the perfect platform after his 1st 2 seasons so to then deliberately make us regress would cost him in the long run. I do think journeymen managers though may have that intention....

16 hours ago, Corky said:

We don't have the solidity to play the controlling game Rodgers wants. 

I think this is spot on …we’re playing top 4 style without the defensive base to do so - look how integral Van Dijk is to Liverpool’s success - they dropped a level without him last season. Man City struggled (by their standards)) until they acquired world class defenders especially centre backs. We could do with BR being more pragmatic - bolstering the defence, stopping playing out from the back until we have the players who feel confident doing it, returning to the sound basics of clean sheets and sound defence - f””k the system get Kelechi in as a player who can score and create goals with minimal pressure and possession…stop trying to be a poor mans Barcelona 

• Like 2

The players have lost belief in Rodgers. They may not know it.... but they have lost belief because they think his decision making hampers them.  Why? ....  Ayoze and maddison are picked week in week out and they dont agree with it.

Edited by foxinsocks
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I doubt it as Rodgers has only 1 more realistic shot at the big club he craves and that's doing well here and then moving on. He'd almost got the perfect platform after his 1st 2 seasons so to then deliberately make us regress would cost him in the long run. I do think journeymen managers though may have that intention....

In my experience managers have such self belief that they never question themselves and keep on digging even when in a hole.... ranieri, maureen, pochetino etc

Edited by foxinsocks
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

The players have lost belief in Rodgers. They may not know it.... but they have lost belief because they think his decision making hampers them.  Why? ....  Ayoze and maddison are picked week in week out and they dont agree with it.

You could be right. I think the same..

I still stand by my earlier statement that if we lose our next 2 games Rodgers will under closer scrutiny and pressure..

It's not looking good.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, teblin said:

There is something not quite right, but I think it’s as simple as some players are out of form and our 2 best defenders are out. (Arguably 3 if you include JJ)

ive been reading some other threads where people are slating soumare and even some having a go at KFH.

Maybe this iffy run is good for those that have been spoilt with the success we have had over the last few years, as people reaction are that of spoilt children when they don’t get their own way. 

We have been poor so far, but the defensive problems are affecting the whole team. 

.....apart from J J, all of our best players in our Backline have been part of a poor run of results!!!

We need  a change of mentality in order to get us out of this and this needs to happen soon.

Put the players in their proper positions and build on their strengths. 

• Like 1

Rodgers has been sounding like a broken record for some time now. Other than when playing the 'big 4' we should consider ourselves to be the dominant team but invariably we fail to impose ourselves on the opposition and consequently squander any psychological advantage we might have had. Rodgers makes the same mistakes over and over again and never seems to learn. Against Aston Villa away last season we came out of the blocks on fire and had totally destroyed them by halftime. Unfortunately, I cannot remember many other examples where we've sought to impose ourselves from the off. We have the ability to do it as that game proved. So why does Rodgers persist with a strategy that clearly doesn't work? Is it just plain stubbornness? If he doesn't learn soon I fear it will cost him his job because this squad, regardless of injuries, is seriously under-performing.

We just don’t look like a team.

It’s like they’ve never even played in the same team before at times.

Unless it’s passing between the centre back pairings. Saying that even then it’s full of mistakes and hospital passes.

8 hours ago, Silver surfer 1 said:

Yes, I 100% believe that Rodgers is deliberately sabotaging the team in order to get the coveted Newcastle job

• Haha 4

Ricardo... not the player he was.

Soyuncu...lost without Evans.

Vestergaard.... Not good enough, panic buy!

Amartey... Not PL standard.

Bertrand... See Vestergaard.

Thomas...great potential, but not the finished article.

Tielemans... doesn't want to be here, heart not in it anymore.

Maddison.... See Tielemans.

Perez.... No explanation needed, we all know he's crap.

Soumare.... Jury's out

Daka.... Another Musa by the look of it.

The rest of the squad have been average/or as expected. The only player excelling is Vardy.

Injuries to Fofana, Evans and JJ have crippled our defensive qualities.

Rodgers is looking lost to find a solution to all of the above problems.

23 hours ago, Pliskin said:

I said to @Ric Flair pre season, that he was saying lots of bizarre things, I was having this conversation with my Bro and he seems to think he had his head turned, possibly expected Spurs to come in for him or something I don’t know, but he does seem like he is off. Whether something is bothering him behind the scenes, or he is annoyed with the teams form, which can’t be resting well on him. 

I personally really like Brendan, but I’m concerned something isn’t right, like you can’t put my finger on it, but his demeanour seems to have changed over the summer, to me personally anyway. I couldn’t just be talking bollocks but you know. 

Eerily similar to his attitude and body language in his third season at Celtic.

What is different though is we utterly shafted him in the transfer market that summer, missed all his big targets, in particular McGinn for the sake of 500k and sold our best player a day before the transfer window closed.. Conversely he's been backed to the hilt this summer by the Leicester hierarchy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Eerily similar to his attitude and body language in his third season at Celtic.

What is different though is we utterly shafted him in the transfer market that summer, missed all his big targets, in particular McGinn for the sake of 500k and sold our best player a day before the transfer window closed.. Conversely he's been backed to the hilt this summer by the Leicester hierarchy.

Or has He been backed? I’m wondering if he wanted Philipe, but the club wouldn’t entertain the idea, and subsequently he’s taken the hump. My opinion only, but o get the impression he’s pissed off with something. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Not gonna lie, I thought they looked like a League One side at best. They were dire. 

Sometimes you find that the top clubs in lesser leagues make really good use out of European money, sign a few gateway stars on their way in to Europe, get all the best local talent and they're pretty hard to beat. 

Clubs like Copenhagen, Basel, Salzburg, Ludogorets, etc often throw up more of a challenge than you'd expect from their league and punch above their weight. 

Didn't see any evidence of that from Legia. Maybe it's just this current side in their current form but they were extremely average and we should have beaten them routinely. 

We just never seem to turn up and play like we think we're a big club, though. We've always given teams too much respect under both Rodgers and Puel. 

......Rodgers being out thought again!!!

We do struggle to overcome teams in Europe and it only requires a cursory look at our team to realise that a "Deep Block" or pressing our defence will render us helpless. We cannot play out from the back, and struggle to overcome the deep block with teams sitting deep and we are indecisive with our passes and over eager when any chances arrive.

2 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

......Rodgers being out thought again!!!

We do struggle to overcome teams in Europe and it only requires a cursory look at our team to realise that a "Deep Block" or pressing our defence will render us helpless. We cannot play out from the back, and struggle to overcome the deep block with teams sitting deep and we are indecisive with our passes and over eager when any chances arrive.

Other than Slavia Prague last season we were decent in Europe when we had a strong team out. We dismantled Braga in one of our best performances all season and Thomas, Barnes and Ünder were exceptional vs AEK. Last night was hideous though.

I've really had enough with this injuries bulls*it.

Liverpool and Chelsea and other members of big 6 gone through similar or worse periods in past 2 season so Nope Nope Nope .

We do need to take a good look at yourself and admit that our flare gone.

BR's outdated, ineffective game plans is not working anymore.

He failed to progress as well as reinvent and reinnovate himself.

• Like 1