Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Collymore

Something doesn't make sense or seem right...

11 hours ago, broughtonblue said:

Burnley came and played exactly like everyone knows how Burnley play. What were we doing all week in training as we didnt have a clue how to play against them. The only player who looked like breaking them down was taken off. Too many times the result mask the performances. Just getting a bit fed up of the pissy passy football that is so boring. Something is wrong at the club that seems to surface quite often. Since pearson, every manager has gone through this sort of spell, and its not ended well for any of them.

Yep bring back Nige I say :ph34r: lol

Even if Brendan is stubborn, surely he can be sensible enough to be pragmatic and think "ok, here's how I'm going to adapt MY way to suit the players that I have who are injured"? 

He can't be that stubborn that he just outright plays his system when it clearly doesn't suit what we have. He gets to see the players week in, week out and should know what they're capable of far better than us. It's on him to come up with options in case things happen - managers in any other profession would call that planning and mitigation. 

25 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

But Macca's actual analysis of what was going on in front of him was pretty much spot on on Thursday. He said a lot of things which may have been hard to hear but he was correct in all his assessments, we were lacklustre, poor, everything we tried wasn't working. 

Agreed. His assessment of their goal too, I thought at first he was talking out his bum but then when I saw the replays I saw how correct he was.

For me, the most telling thing he said (and most painful too) was remarking that we were a "major scalp" for Legia. Now obviously I thought it was hyperbole but I don't (perhaps surprisingly) follow Polish football. I don't know what their standard is, but the fact he said it was a smack in the face. I thought they were solid and well organised, and could play a bit. They were a threat down the right but otherwise nothing special... and we ran in to our usual roadblock. Then it dawned on me - we were just lacking in many areas. They weren't doing anything special yet we were incapable of breaking them down and vulnerable defensively.  What did it say about us?

2 minutes ago, drumbeat said:

Agreed. His assessment of their goal too, I thought at first he was talking out his bum but then when I saw the replays I saw how correct he was.

For me, the most telling thing he said (and most painful too) was remarking that we were a "major scalp" for Legia. Now obviously I thought it was hyperbole but I don't (perhaps surprisingly) follow Polish football. I don't know what their standard is, but the fact he said it was a smack in the face. I thought they were solid and well organised, and could play a bit. They were a threat down the right but otherwise nothing special... and we ran in to our usual roadblock. Then it dawned on me - we were just lacking in many areas. They weren't doing anything special yet we were incapable of breaking them down and vulnerable defensively.  What did it say about us?

Not gonna lie, I thought they looked like a League One side at best. They were dire. 

Sometimes you find that the top clubs in lesser leagues make really good use out of European money, sign a few gateway stars on their way in to Europe, get all the best local talent and they're pretty hard to beat. 

Clubs like Copenhagen, Basel, Salzburg, Ludogorets, etc often throw up more of a challenge than you'd expect from their league and punch above their weight. 

Didn't see any evidence of that from Legia. Maybe it's just this current side in their current form but they were extremely average and we should have beaten them routinely. 

We just never seem to turn up and play like we think we're a big club, though. We've always given teams too much respect under both Rodgers and Puel. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Like a lot of pundits, he's not an expert on Leicester City. These people watch us when they've got to cover us, get glimpses of some of our games and usually have dated or skewed ideas about what we are.

We're still hearing "Leicester are dangerous from set pieces" from former pros who played against Walsh and Elliott, "Leicester play a counter attacking style" from pundits who've barely seen us since the title year, etc.

But Macca's actual analysis of what was going on in front of him was pretty much spot on on Thursday. He said a lot of things which may have been hard to hear but he was correct in all his assessments, we were lacklustre, poor, everything we tried wasn't working. 

I know, I do actually agree.

He was getting so frustrated with our lack of intent or intensity, which is quite reassuring to hear from a neutral and know that it's not just a shared hang-up that we as fans get fixated on.

• Like 1

Guest Danny Clender
2 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Said it before, and I'll keep saying it. Injuries happened, repeatedly. Eventually momentum got lost and with it form/confidence and rhythm. It's incredibly hard to get back, because fear sets in.

I'm neither into blaming or excusing anyone, and all your theories might be bang on, who knows? But that's how I feel about it.

Yes true, but mainly the above, for which I've conveniently bolded. 

54 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Like a lot of pundits, he's not an expert on Leicester City. These people watch us when they've got to cover us, get glimpses of some of our games and usually have dated or skewed ideas about what we are.

We're still hearing "Leicester are dangerous from set pieces" from former pros who played against Walsh and Elliott, "Leicester play a counter attacking style" from pundits who've barely seen us since the title year, etc.

My favorite of those is the inevitable "Very out of character for Schmeichel, his distribution is usually excellent" when Kasper inevitably gives the ball away or punts it into the seats.

Edited by Deeg67
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

My favorite of those is the inevitable "Very out of character for Schmeichel, his distribution is usually excellent" when Kasper inevitable gives the ball away or punts it into the seats.

This is another 15/16 throw back because people just think of Kasper recycling it quickly with a massive punt to Albrighton or Riyad which was less about accuracy and more about just whumping it in to a rough space. 

5 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

My favorite of those is the inevitable "Very out of character for Schmeichel, his distribution is usually excellent" when Kasper inevitable gives the ball away or punts it into the seats.

Yep, that one makes me laugh every time (well, laugh if wasn't so frekkin' slack)

If he's not finding touch, Kasper loves that chip pass into midfield. You know, they one that gives the opposition plenty of time to size it up and attack. The ball might well leave Kasper's foot with the intended recipient in space but the ball's flight gives plenty of time to shut us down. 

Castagne talks about us "shooting ourselves in the foot", well Kasper is one of the culprits. He's a bloody good keeper, and he's kept us in games (and arguably won them for us). I wouldn't change him, he'll do us just fine BUT I wish he'd work on his distribution. It's shoking sometimes.  

54 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

My favorite of those is the inevitable "Very out of character for Schmeichel, his distribution is usually excellent" when Kasper inevitably gives the ball away or punts it into the seats.

I'd be happy with more of his 'into the seats' option, if the other option is that ****ing chopped backspinning nightmare that he uses to shit up whoever our right back du jour is

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Not gonna lie, I thought they looked like a League One side at best. They were dire. 

Sometimes you find that the top clubs in lesser leagues make really good use out of European money, sign a few gateway stars on their way in to Europe, get all the best local talent and they're pretty hard to beat. 

Clubs like Copenhagen, Basel, Salzburg, Ludogorets, etc often throw up more of a challenge than you'd expect from their league and punch above their weight. 

Didn't see any evidence of that from Legia. Maybe it's just this current side in their current form but they were extremely average and we should have beaten them routinely. 

We just never seem to turn up and play like we think we're a big club, though. We've always given teams too much respect under both Rodgers and Puel. 

Agreed, this was the sort of turgid display from a bigger club against a minnow from the lower leagues in the early rounds of a cup. We've been guilty of plenty of those ourselves, we're thst beautiful mix of being heinous at the back and zero ability to dominate inferior teams currently. We'll make hard work of any game right now, we're in a horrible rut and I'm not sure when we get out of it. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

What was the point then? 

We turn up against lesser teams and show them more respect than we probably should, to the point where we will sacrifice our positives to try and counteract their perceived strengths. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, shailen said:

Our defence isn't right. Losing both Fofana and Evans and we look toothless in defence. Hopefully Evans can come back in sooner rather than later, but once we get some composure back I think we'll look like a different side. 

This. The lack of leadership in defence is all too clear. Evans is the one player who provides this, can't wait for his return. 

I always thought it would be a tough season. Injuries to Fofana, Evans and Castagne haven't helped of course but there are other reasons. I never have liked a goalkeeper as captain and Morgan's onfield determination and example are sorely missed. Our much vaunted midfield trio of Maddison, Ndidi and Tielemans have gone way off form at the same time. Pereira and Barnes are still lacking sharpness. We have signed five players who are  struggling to settle in. We have been found out by the opposition and they have neutralised our incisive attacking. The saving grace, the old boy keeps putting it in the net. We need to fight for every ball and get the mentality right and we can turn it around but expect one tough match after another.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, lcfc_forever said:

This. The lack of leadership in defence is all too clear. Evans is the one player who provides this, can't wait for his return. 

It’s more than just an issue with the defence though. Although having Evans back will be a boost.

It’s the style of play and lack of intent to go out and win games, especially against weaker opponents. We are always slow out of the traps in games, I can’t remember us ever making a flying start to a game since West Brom last season.

• Like 1

Do you think Brendan is engineering this demise ? So that he gets the sack gets his money .  Others will think he’s still very good and harshly treated , gets another job like a Newcastle stay in job 3 years then off again .  Making lots of money , starts well then gets found out and blows his cover .  

3 minutes ago, Silver surfer 1 said:

Do you think Brendan is engineering this demise ? So that he gets the sack gets his money .  Others will think he’s still very good and harshly treated , gets another job like a Newcastle stay in job 3 years then off again .  Making lots of money , starts well then gets found out and blows his cover .  

Mourinho style 

13 hours ago, broughtonblue said:

Burnley came and played exactly like everyone knows how Burnley play. What were we doing all week in training as we didnt have a clue how to play against them. The only player who looked like breaking them down was taken off. Too many times the result mask the performances. Just getting a bit fed up of the pissy passy football that is so boring. Something is wrong at the club that seems to surface quite often. Since pearson, every manager has gone through this sort of spell, and its not ended well for any of them.

The great nigel Pearson delusion. Pearson had some awful runs during his two spells here. Including this one: 4 points from 10 games in 12/13 that cost us automatic promotion. But we held are nerve stuck by him and delivered. Rodgers deserves the same! 

Screenshot_20211001_115901.jpg

• Like 1