Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Paninistickers

Ricardo

Presume there was a postmortem of the Cornet goal at half time v Burnley and either Rodgers had already decided or there was a disagreement between them but if we're hooking players at half time just for the errors that lead to goals Soyuncu, Bertrand and Vestergard would be due to be subject to the same treatment in recent weeks.Pure speculation but maybe Ricardo disagreed, blamed someone else or had ignored an instruction? Thought Castagne was the right choice today but might have had Ricardo in front of him for final 20 mins in place of Lookman.

Regarding the Ricardo RB, Castagne LB combination, I know due to injury to both it's rarely been an option but does any statto know how many minutes we've seen of this? Thought it was always the intention, although Justin is giving us great alternative options when fit but I barely remember any momentum towards those two playing regularly together.

There is no excuse not to have Ricardo at RB and Castagne at LB from now on. It does seem a bit like he's going to be a fall guy. 

We need as much energy and dynamism on the pitch as we can muster at the moment, and to try and take some pressure off our back line by providing more of an attacking threat. To that end he's by far our most effective fullback, and to single him out for error or 2 against Burnley is harsh. He'd started the season well and has been no more culpable than any other player in terms of individual errors made in games. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Don't we always say 'play players in their best positions' and now some want to play a natural RB at LB?? 

Then when that goes wrong you'll get loads of fans asking why we've not played a LB at LB lol

Castagne is our best left back currently, though that's not saying much. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FoxesWalk said:

We might see Castagne LB and Ricardo RB again soon.  

Timmy has made it clear to the powers that be that he don't want to play LB. 

Seems they want to keep him happy and keep him here so for now RB is his.

He had Exactly the same issue he had at Atalanta the main reason he ultimately left.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, themightyfin said:

He had Exactly the same issue he had at Atalanta the main reason he ultimately left.

Castagne is not good enough to tell the "powers that be" that he plays at RB or he leaves. If that's his attitude then I for one don't want him here. Ricardo and JJ can play rb as effectively as him in my opinion. Either way, no player in ours or any club should think he can dictate to management where he plays.

This is the first signs of the of the manager "losing the dressing room".

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, themightyfin said:

What else going on behind the scenes mate? We’re all scratching our heads here.

• Haha 1

The best 30 minutes we've played for months was in the second half at Brighton. That coincided with Timmy coming on at left back, he even made Barnes look decent & Ricky & Lookman were wreaking havoc down the right.

It has to be Ricky at right back, Timmy at left back at least until JJ returns when we can re-assess

• Like 2

3 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Castagne was good today and not the reason we conceded twice. Ricardo is good going forwards but recently been susceptible at the back. 

I don't think Richardo is bad at the back at all, whenever he's back there he is a good defender. It's just that he's usually at the other end of the pitch doing all of the work that our right winger should be doing.

3 hours ago, fazzyfox said:

Presume there was a postmortem of the Cornet goal at half time v Burnley and either Rodgers had already decided or there was a disagreement between them but if we're hooking players at half time just for the errors that lead to goals Soyuncu, Bertrand and Vestergard would be due to be subject to the same treatment in recent weeks.Pure speculation but maybe Ricardo disagreed, blamed someone else or had ignored an instruction? Thought Castagne was the right choice today but might have had Ricardo in front of him for final 20 mins in place of Lookman.

Regarding the Ricardo RB, Castagne LB combination, I know due to injury to both it's rarely been an option but does any statto know how many minutes we've seen of this? Thought it was always the intention, although Justin is giving us great alternative options when fit but I barely remember any momentum towards those two playing regularly together.

...they both feel the Right Back role is their preferred position!!!

Both players have at some time played on the left and has had little success in comparison to playing on the right hand side. Castagne coming in was assumed to be playing as our Left-Back but he performed pretty well on the right to cover Ricardo. We can't continue to be indecisive about players roles and we need to assign permanent positions for both these players.

Ricardo I suspect has become somewhat confused with his now ill-defined role, and he is being asked to be in various positions on the right and it is affecting his judgment in relation to his ability to defend. If he is asked to push forward to the half-way line as a Wing-Back then you would expect there to be cover from a CB or a midfielder coming across to cover the space he is vacating. He is at the same time supporting the forwards and linking up in attack, he is constantly having to make adjustments to his play that he is no longer effective as the Right-Back who chooses when to support and is direct in the way that he plays.

12 minutes ago, jim5000 said:

I don't think Richardo is bad at the back at all, whenever he's back there he is a good defender. It's just that he's usually at the other end of the pitch doing all of the work that our right winger should be doing.

He’s usually in the top 10 players in the league in terms of tackles made. But with our defence so shakey I understand the logic in putting the better defender in Castagne into the team. 

On 03/10/2021 at 16:31, TK95 said:

Hasn't been great since the injury either. Problems so deep in our defence 

He's been ok, no worse than the others. Got two assists so far this season hasn't he?

I don't really like players out of position but fvck me stick Castagne at left back and play Ricardo right back.

1 minute ago, Fox92 said:

He's been ok, no worse than the others. Got two assists so far this season hasn't he?

I don't really like players out of position but fvck me stick Castagne at left back and play Ricardo right back.

I'd sooner see Thomas come in who seems to link up well with Barnes. Lookman needs to start but would be far better deployed in his favoured inverted role on the left which would mean you could double up Castagne and an advanced Ricardo on the right. No way Brendan drops Barnes though.