Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
fleshdaddy

Who next after Brendan?

55 minutes ago, Corky said:

Generally, yes. We're having a poor season but I think the club are demanding and this won't just be shrugged off.

Not particularly, his style was mixed but I thought he put together a squad of great characters who you could fully support.

I did say being away for 18 months forced a detachment of sorts but generally the sport isn't in a good place at the moment with power grabs, who is investing into it, even things like kick-off times being shoved all over the shop have pushed me away from it a bit. Don't get me wrong, I loved the FA Cup win, we've played some fantastic football under Rodgers but, yeah, I just feel underwhelmed by it all at the moment.

I feel precisely how you feel

I think a large part of it is that chasing the dream (PL football again) was better than actually living the dream. And that final season in the Championship it all came together perfectly 

The buzz around the KP for the Everton (h) game in our first season back was like something we’d not witnessed before. 

It sounds daft but when Pearson left again, I lost a bit of love for football and it’s never truly come back despite what we’ve witnessed since. It probably doesn’t help that we currently have someone in charge  who’s the polar opposite to Sir Nige

3 hours ago, Smashing-Pumpkin said:

What does "closest connection ive felt to the club" mean to you, if its ok asking?

After years of being utter crap which became an absolutely circus in the last year, we had a manager to just got ‘football’ for me. His post match interviews with a lack of waffle. Building squads with a balance of youth and experience. Sorting out the sports science, scouting and pushing the training ground on as well. 

I don’t think Pearson has got a lot of time left in the sport because he’s cut from the cloth of a set of players which became Premier League players but didn’t get the huge fortune with it. No one was rich by the time they were 21. Therefore he understands the link between fans, players and club. You only have to see his comments regards the Ashton Gate 8 last week. Equally I don’t think in my time I have seen a manager who was hugging supporters and posing for selfies after a pitch invasion at Huddersfield. Or celebrating wildly after the 1-0 at Turf Moor in the Great Escape (there’s apparently very little love lost between Nige and Dyche). 

The nearest comparison for a manager at City is Wallace from what I’ve been told. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

@Corky @Cardiff_Fox @The Year Of The Fox

I value your opinions and responses.

What i struggle to understand is how any manager is going to make you happy, because winning the biggest prizes in domestic football has not made you as happy as you were when managed by Pearson. So I struggle to see what a new manager can do to "connect" you back again. Winning is not enough.

In football, at some point you will plateau and have to rebuild. You could argue Pearson had a constant upward trajectory, and thats true. Youd have to also remember his constant upward trajectory was at significantly worse levels of football. So if the club hit an inevitable plateau under him, would this have bought him more "credit" in the bank to rebuild the team again? who knows. It doesnt seem to have bought Rodgers or Ranieri any credit so id be sceptical whether Pearson wouldnt have met the same fate.

A manager leaves a job really in one of two circumstances, he either does an incredible job and gets poached by a bigger club, or the team plateaus and fans get restless, and he is sacked. Pearson fell into neither category, a manager not good enough for a better team, nor sacked for under achievement. Does this play into fans affections for him? If he had ditched Leicester for Spurs, Arsenal, Liverpool at the time, would that tarnish his reputation? all hypothetical.

In terms of his no nonsense personality, i get this. A lot of people connect with that kind of chip on the shoulder, inferiority complex kind of personality (those are negative words but im not trying to use them in a negative way, if that makes sense. Im trying to paint him as a straight no PR job kind of character). Its why I think Chris Wilder is popular, hes the same. People connect with those people because they are kind of a bit angry, a bit edgy, a bit how a manager in the modern game SHOULDNT be, but they are. So for a lot of people they like that. Ill admit i was never a fan of him being outright rude in his press conferences at times, but im probably just woke and lets face it, its not a huge criteria i judge on compared to success on the pitch.

I struggled to put that into words because i dont want them to sound like negatives. Dickov and Vardy play with a chip on their shoulder, that kind of inbuilt "i dont get the credit i deserve" persona, I think this persona was absolutely perfect for the great escape season, those resilient, battling qualities.

Maybe we just need a change and people are bored? I dont know. I dont know what the answer is because I dont personally feel disconnected or discontent with the club. But if we did make a change then I dont know who that man could be.

Edited by Smashing-Pumpkin
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Smashing-Pumpkin said:

@Corky @Cardiff_Fox @The Year Of The Fox

I value your opinions and responses.

What i struggle to understand is how any manager is going to make you happy, because winning the biggest prizes in domestic football has not made you as happy as you were when managed by Pearson. So I struggle to see what a new manager can do to "connect" you back again. Winning is not enough.

In football, at some point you will plateau and have to rebuild. You could argue Pearson had a constant upward trajectory, and thats true. Youd have to also remember his constant upward trajectory was at significantly worse levels of football. So if the club hit an inevitable plateau under him, would this have bought him more "credit" in the bank to rebuild the team again? who knows. It doesnt seem to have bought Rodgers or Ranieri any credit so id be sceptical whether Pearson wouldnt have met the same fate.

A manager leaves a job really in one of two circumstances, he either does an incredible job and gets poached by a bigger club, or the team plateaus and fans get restless, and he is sacked. Pearson fell into neither category, a manager not good enough for a better team, nor sacked for under achievement. Does this play into fans affections for him? If he had ditched Leicester for Spurs, Arsenal, Liverpool at the time, would that tarnish his reputation? all hypothetical.

In terms of his no nonsense personality, i get this. A lot of people connect with that kind of chip on the shoulder, inferiority complex kind of personality (those are negative words but im not trying to use them in a negative way, if that makes sense. Im trying to paint him as a straight no PR job kind of character). Its why I think Chris Wilder is popular, hes the same. People connect with those people because they are kind of a bit angry, a bit edgy, a bit how a manager in the modern game SHOULDNT be, but they are. So for a lot of people they like that. Ill admit i was never a fan of him being outright rude in his press conferences at times, but im probably just woke and lets face it, its not a huge criteria i judge on compared to success on the pitch.

I struggled to put that into words because i dont want them to sound like negatives. Dickov and Vardy play with a chip on their shoulder, that kind of inbuilt "i dont get the credit i deserve" persona, I think this persona was absolutely perfect for the great escape season, those resilient, battling qualities.

Maybe we just need a change and people are bored? I dont know. I dont know what the answer is because I dont personally feel disconnected or discontent with the club. But if we did make a change then I dont know who that man could be.

That’s a fair point- as is all your post. 

There was just an aura about Nige. His voice 😅 and his reassurance that everything was under control. Almost like a dad would make a kid feel. You knew that if you felt like that, his players definitely would. I still remember driving to the Palace game (Gally scored two screamers at Nige’s first game back) and listening to the pre match interview on RL I was grinning from ear to ear. Nige was back. He was the man

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/03/2022 at 13:18, Smashing-Pumpkin said:

Its not so much that they downplay what Pearson achieved, i certainly dont, he was instrumental in the rebuild of the club.

What I struggle to understand is why people undervalue the people who actually WIN things, like big prizes.

Ranieri WON THE PREMIER LEAGUE. This doesnt happen by accident or because the man before you was doing alright. Yet some people seem to be borderline obsessed with the narrative that Pearson won the league.

Now i fully accept it was right to let Ranieri go however. But we should still be celebrating that title win every day. I should be seeing threads about it all the time, statues, banners, everything. It was monumental.

Likewise Rodgers who won us an FA Cup and given us two european campaigns. Ok, things arent great at the moment and there are mitigating circumstances for that. Sometimes a club has to go backwards and take stock to move forwards again, just like Man Utd did under Ferguson.

But it seems bizarre how the people who actually DO the biggest things in the clubs history are the ones who get put in the bin immediately.

....I felt the biggest thing about Ferguson was that he could re-invent his team over and over!!!

He needed a better and more influential coach so he went abroad and got one in, if you have gaps in your CV you look to minimise these shortfalls. Lawers do not remember every case or points in law but they know where to go to find what they need.

Ranieri is given a hero's reception and always will when he comes here, likewise Martin O'Neil, very much Pearson also are supporters managers.

• 5 months later...