Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
fleshdaddy

Who next after Brendan?

11 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

When did bloody Graham Potter become so popular? Especially amongst those who want us to score goals and attack.

For the record Potter’s Brighton have scored 39 and 40 goals in the PL with a -15 goal difference both seasons.

In that time we scored 67 and 68 goals in the two seasons and had goal difference of +26 and +18

Many Brighton fans wanted him gone last season.

Also in that time they have vastly out spent us too, being one of Europe’s biggest net spenders over the last 5 years. 

It’s a massive no for me! 

That's not true, he has been there 3 years and our net spend is higher whilst he has been in the job....Actually, our spending this summer alone is almost on par.

Accounting for Hughton's expenditure before he arrived is like Rodgers getting credit for us bringing in the likes of Chilwell/Maguire to sell for big money before he got here.

So +26 and +18 goals?.....Do you not think having Vardy/Iheanacho/Barnes compared to Maupay/Welbeck/Trossard contributes a fair bit to that?

You know what has impressed me most about Potter, apart from the fact his teams control games with the kind of possession we're trying too?

The fact that he never fancied Duffy and send him on loan, but he's seen his form and commitment this season/pre-season, and isn't arrogant enough to change his mind and have his 'favourites'.

Unlike Rodgers, who dropped Amartey, when he was clearly performing very well considering Soyuncu was a complete bomb scare alongside him. 

• Like 1

All teams go through these patches of bad form, under Pearson we had some horrible runs of results. We underestimate the problems we have had at the back, Evans, JJ, Ricardo and now Fofana. The 2 from Southampton haven’t been great signings so far. Our players play better with quick passing, breaking and direct football, however you can only cede so much possession if you have a rock solid defence (which we don’t). Our possession game is slow with alot of players uncomfortable with that style of play, not comfortable in possession and poor passers of the ball under pressure. For me Brendan’s is still our man, rip the bandaid off and go back to what works and whilst our defence is getting settled at least outscore the opposition!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

When did bloody Graham Potter become so popular? Especially amongst those who want us to score goals and attack.

For the record Potter’s Brighton have scored 39 and 40 goals in the PL with a -15 goal difference both seasons.

In that time we scored 67 and 68 goals in the two seasons and had goal difference of +26 and +18

Also in that time they have vastly out spent us too, being one of Europe’s biggest net spenders over the last 5 years. 

He’s built a team. Not one of their players gets into our starting 11. Yet they’re looking and doing so much better than us this season. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bert said:

He’s built a team. Not one of their players gets into our starting 11. Yet they’re looking and doing so much better than us this season. 

Trossard and bissouma would get in my LCFC starting line up. 

they have missed bissouma for the past two games and whilst they only eeked out a point at palace, they battered arsenal (potter clearly worked something out) 

meanwhile we seem unable to cope with players missing …..

BR needs to work out a strategy over this current spare week 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

they have missed bissouma for the past two games and whilst they only eeked out a point at palace, they battered arsenal (potter clearly worked something out) 

Yep, this week and a half is vital for the club from now till Christmas & how our season plans out.  

Have to say for me its still Brendan.

We finished 5th under him twice (yes we should have finished 4th) but still amazing finishes & the 1st FA Cup win against the clear favourites, a week or two later European Champions.

Successful teams have managers who last & are given time.

I find him annoying at times, he is way too conservative but generally he gets results AND he is being paid a lot of money, its on him to get this right.

Play who's on form, he's probably got Leicester's deepest ever squad, he's got plenty of choice, the crux being the quicker he does it the better for all of our enjoyment.

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

Ahead of who? 

11 hours ago, KFS said:

Didn’t say I wanted him moved on. The question was who next AFTER Brendan, wasn’t it?

My point being the next guy I am willing to give time to, but has to be someone with a higher ceiling than Brendan. I.e doesn’t show some of the tactical and mental frailties that he does. Brendan has been a great manager but I firmly believe he has a ceiling. Consistent fall always show me that he’s not learning and will not surpass that ceiling. The next guy has to be better than that. 

Sorry I wasn't clear - I didn't think you did want him moved on. 

I think when the day comes my first choice would be Thomas Frank. He's got Brentford playing some wonderful football with a high energy high pressing game. The team look really fit and I think given that the model that they operate under is similar to ours I think he'd be perfect. Whether he'd come or not is another matter, but our players are a step up from Brentford's and I guess money talks too. 

If Frank wasn't attainable I'd like us to consider Potter who's slowing building a good Brighton side, and also Ismael at WBA who's been fantastic since he coming over to England and has a very solid win percentage throughout his managerial career. 

Having said the above, I think we usually perform better when the manager has a connection with the fans and we're able to build a positive environment around the club. As such I wouldn't be averse to an ex-player, and would be happy to see Mancini (although may be out of our reach), Robin's, or Cambiasso considered for the role. 

Only FT would have a thread on life after BR. The amount of fickle minded drama queens here makes Arsenal forums look sensible. If he won against CP this wouldnt even be thought of, so grow a pair and support the team and manager! hes the best weve ever had. #fml

Edited by Simoken
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Brighton are the worst finishers in the league, which isnt the manager's fault. They had an xg of 54 whilst we had an xg of 58 last year, so theyre creating the same number of chances, difference is we have iheanacho, maddison, barnes etc (vardy's finishing was poor last year) whereas they have maupay. 

22 minutes ago, Simoken said:

Only FT would have a thread on life after BR. The amount of fickle minded drama queens here makes Arsenal forums look sensible. If he won against CP this wouldnt even be thought of, so grow a pair and support the team and manager! hes the best weve ever had. #fml

I think it’s purely because we know what the game can be like….. I like Brendan, I think he’s a great coach, and I want him to stay here long term and continue to build a team in his vision. 

But, such is the pressure of football and the weight of our ambitions, and the ruthlessness of our board of directors….. he’s a bad run away from being in trouble. 

We could be in a position where we are winless by the start of December, out of a league cup and all but out of Europe….. or, on the flip side he could turn it around and we get a couple of wins under our belts and be within touching distance of the top 6.

Its a big few months coming up for Brendan, forget United because that’s come at the wrong time, but after that there’s some huge games, coming up, season defining potentially.

59 minutes ago, ian__marshall said:

I think when the day comes my first choice would be Thomas Frank. He's got Brentford playing some wonderful football with a high energy high pressing game. The team look really fit and I think given that the model that they operate under is similar to ours I think he'd be perfect. Whether he'd come or not is another matter, but our players are a step up from Brentford's and I guess money talks too. 

If Frank wasn't attainable I'd like us to consider Potter who's slowing building a good Brighton side, and also Ismael at WBA who's been fantastic since he coming over to England and has a very solid win percentage throughout his managerial career. 

Having said the above, I think we usually perform better when the manager has a connection with the fans and we're able to build a positive environment around the club. As such I wouldn't be averse to an ex-player, and would be happy to see Mancini (although may be out of our reach), Robin's, or Cambiasso considered for the role. 

Out of interest have you watched Ismael’s teams play? I think he’s most Big Sam foreigner I’ve ever witnessed 

The Thomas Frank shouts make me smile a bit, whichever manager is in charge of Brentford at the time will play exactly the same style of football, because the club have a way of playing that the coach will agree to play. The coach is there to man manage and help improve the players if possible, the football/tactical philosopshy is chosen by the club, much like the Red Bull teams.

Not to say he isn't a good manager, but the manager at Brentford does not choose how the team plays. The technical director(s) choose this and sign undervalued players that suit that system. One of the worries for me is that we've committed a lot to Brendan and allowed him to rip up a lot of what we have, if it all goes pear shaped we're going to be stuck with people that were brought in specifically to work for Rodgers and his team.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

Brighton are the worst finishers in the league, which isnt the manager's fault. They had an xg of 54 whilst we had an xg of 58 last year, so theyre creating the same number of chances, difference is we have iheanacho, maddison, barnes etc (vardy's finishing was poor last year) whereas they have maupay. 

So it’s not the managers fault? What has he done to improve the forward line?

This is the problem we have here all of the negative opinions about Rodgers in the BR thread are applicable to every other manager outside that elite group - he keeps persisting with his favourites, he has done nothing to improve a clear problem, what is he doing in training to address this?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bert said:

So much better than us? Really?

If the referee doesn’t give that penalty and one of our disallowed goals had stood, we are on the same points as them.

They are playing marginally better than us, but, there is nothing there to say he is a better manager than Rodgers and nothing to suggest he has the capabilities of managing a team hoping to challenge the top six every season.

42 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

Brighton are the worst finishers in the league, which isnt the manager's fault. 

If our defence is our current problem, and people are rightfully asking a few questions of the manager (who granted has been dealt a shit hand injury wise), why is one the mangers fault and the other not?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, filbertway said:

The Thomas Frank shouts make me smile a bit, whichever manager is in charge of Brentford at the time will play exactly the same style of football, because the club have a way of playing that the coach will agree to play. The coach is there to man manage and help improve the players if possible, the football/tactical philosopshy is chosen by the club, much like the Red Bull teams.

Not to say he isn't a good manager, but the manager at Brentford does not choose how the team plays. The technical director(s) choose this and sign undervalued players that suit that system. One of the worries for me is that we've committed a lot to Brendan and allowed him to rip up a lot of what we have, if it all goes pear shaped we're going to be stuck with people that were brought in specifically to work for Rodgers and his team.

I take it you haven’t watched Brentford v Wolves or West Ham. 

The Wolves game in particular was like watching Danish Burnley. I’m sure our Wolves correspondent can confirm if he sees this. 

The idea that Brentford have this style of good football is very much an impression they give. Frank has been utilising his squad whatever way he can - their performance v Arsenal was more about bullying them and we lapped it up cos it was Arsenal. Tactically he’s good but it needs to be sustained over time. Clubs are full of analysis (partly the reason we are shit at the mo) and they work out how to nullify teams. Only have to look at Leeds for that and how teams have cottoned on to us playing out from the back (it’s something we’ve done all the time under Rodgers - the difference is that much deeper because we are pressed higher). 

4 hours ago, lazlofox said:

All teams go through these patches of bad form, under Pearson we had some horrible runs of results. We underestimate the problems we have had at the back, Evans, JJ, Ricardo and now Fofana. The 2 from Southampton haven’t been great signings so far. Our players play better with quick passing, breaking and direct football, however you can only cede so much possession if you have a rock solid defence (which we don’t). Our possession game is slow with alot of players uncomfortable with that style of play, not comfortable in possession and poor passers of the ball under pressure. For me Brendan’s is still our man, rip the bandaid off and go back to what works and whilst our defence is getting settled at least outscore the opposition!!!

For my there is a difference. Under Pearson we were almost always in every game and our performances were generally very good. Forgot results, The annoying thing currently is the performances are very poor.