Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
fleshdaddy

Who next after Brendan?

26 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

So much better than us? Really?

If the referee doesn’t give that penalty and one of our disallowed goals had stood, we are on the same points as them.

They are playing marginally better than us, but, there is nothing there to say he is a better manager than Rodgers and nothing to suggest he has the capabilities of managing a team hoping to challenge the top six every season.

Well at the minute yes. Name me one game where we’ve been totally dominant and deserved the win. Wolves we were lucky that Adama can’t finish, West Ham and Palace battered us for long periods of the game. We were poor against Norwich. Brighton put us to the sword for 60 minutes. Tell me any of this is wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I take it you haven’t watched Brentford v Wolves or West Ham. 

The Wolves game in particular was like watching Danish Burnley. I’m sure our Wolves correspondent can confirm if he sees this. 

The idea that Brentford have this style of good football is very much an impression they give. Frank has been utilising his squad whatever way he can - their performance v Arsenal was more about bullying them and we lapped it up cos it was Arsenal. Tactically he’s good but it needs to be sustained over time. Clubs are full of analysis (partly the reason we are shit at the mo) and they work out how to nullify teams. Only have to look at Leeds for that and how teams have cottoned on to us playing out from the back (it’s something we’ve done all the time under Rodgers - the difference is that much deeper because we are pressed higher). 

They will make small tactical tweaks. You're not going to play exactly the same against Man City away as you will Norwich at home. There's a philosophy at club level though and that means they can look for and sign players knowing that they will fit in to the clubs vision. They'll know the different ways they might want to play and then the squad will have players that can fit into the required roles.

Brentford are probably the leaders in the country in how well a club is ran in terms of football. They are looking at factors that other clubs don't, the big things as well is that they back their plans and don't deviate from them if on the surface they appear to be in danger.  We've not been far behind, although it feels like there's a been a change recently which I would prefer we steered away from.

If they can stay in the league a couple of seasons and build up a healthy pot of cash then I'm convinced that they'll be looking at the top 6 positions on a regular basis.

https://theathletic.com/2706207/2021/07/19/algorithms-devouring-data-and-togetherness-life-as-brentfords-director-of-player-recruitment/

https://theathletic.com/2815967/2021/09/10/brentford-do-not-bend-the-rules-for-anyone-over-30-frank-has-full-faith-in-his-young-leaders/

https://theathletic.com/2849583/2021/09/26/creative-set-pieces-bold-substitutions-clever-signings-why-watching-brentford-is-fun/

Some decent reads. Obviously they're the golden boys so lots of positive articles at the minute, but I'm a big fan of the way they operate and their belief in long term good performance over short term results.

There's a certain contradiction in these attempts to deny Frank any credit for Brentford's success. If it's all because of how brilliantly the club is run and what peerless judges of talent they are, what does it say about Frank that they chose to hire him to be in charge of the product on the field?

Just now, Deeg67 said:

There's a certain contradiction in these attempts to deny Frank any credit for Brentford's success. If it's all because of how brilliantly the club is run and what peerless judges of talent they are, what does it say about Frank that they chose to hire him to be in charge of the product on the field?

Oh I'm not saying he's not a good manager by the way. I'm just saying, at Brentford he's a small part a much larger cog. So I wouldn't expect him to move to a larger club and most likely poorer ran club and expect him to pull up trees. He obviously impressed the club enough as Dean Smith's assistant to get the gig full time once Smith moved on.

Just now, Attywolf said:

Potter and Gerrard are obvious answers but I think Matthias Jaissle could be a great steal from the RB coaching conveyor belt 

I think Potter can still go up another level, Gerrard has Rangers playing some honking stuff at the minute.

Steven Gerrard is no where near ready to manage a Premier League club. Let alone one who has aspirations of European football. He has done his job at Rangers. However, he has also been fairly lucky that Celtic, his main competitor has basically turn to shit. 

Don’t get me wrong, he’s done a good job in the league, a very good job last year given they were unbeaten. However, they’ve also failed in domestic cup competitions (putting aside Europa) which are competitions which they should be dominating alongside the league.

The difference between Brendan and Gerrard (in terms of coming down south) is Brendan had PL, C experience. Gerrard may be an exceptional manager one day but realistically, he needs testing in the Championship and Premier League first. I don’t want us to be his first test. Dare I say, I think we are bigger than that and there are other clubs better suited to that initial challenge. Especially given we are a more demanding fan base then we were say 5 years ago (rightly so). 

• Like 3

Brendan is still better than any alternative for me...but for the sakes of conversation when he goes (whether it's his choice or not), I'd look at Graham Potter (Obvious, has transformed Brighton), and Phillipe Clement from Club Brugge. Tactically flexible, an eye for talent and improving players, and has proven in the CL the ability to compete against teams with far greater resources.

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

If our defence is our current problem, and people are rightfully asking a few questions of the manager (who granted has been dealt a shit hand injury wise), why is one the mangers fault and the other not?

Vestegaard and Bertrand (and also soyuncu) are getting the brunt of the negativity for our defensive woes from what ive seen, Rodgers is mostly getting stick because of how poor we look in possession with our sideways passing. Another poster made a good point that Potter was the one to sign and play players like maupay which he should be held accountable for, same with rodgers signing bertrand and vestegaard. I would personally never blame the manager for defensive errors unless there are better centrebacks available on the bench.

34 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

The question is not unreasonable. But sacking him now would be. As @Babylon says, we're only 7 games in. It is a fact of modern life that we're exposed to how many people either panic or how short their attention spans are. 

I'm in quite a weird position here, because I agree with you in that if people are basing their opinion purely on this season then it's a bit mental, to put it less eloquently haha.

As someone who's concerns date back to early 2021 I'd like to think that I'm either panicking or have a short attention span :D Nothing has really changed in terms of performances this throughout the year.

I do wonder with the recent results and the pressure beginning to mount slightly, whether something might click for Rodgers and we'll finally see a change in philosophy. It's the only hope I have left and it's going to get me through the next 10 days haha

• Like 1

Everyone spouting names and wants like those people would be available when the time comes.

BR might be here for another six, 12, 18, 24 months. In that time the wet dreams of Frank or Potter, Gerrard  or whoever might already have moved on to a stage bigger than Leicester's then your dreams are shattered.

Who knows, Potter might have taken Brighton to two fifth place finishes, as we drop down the table and isn't interested, or he's at Stoke as they bombed so badly and he was sacked. The point is, we can all play fantasy managers right now but surely the only time to do it is when BR is either out, or clearly on his way?

The club might well be in succession planning and looking at a few targets, but I really don't see the point in trying to cherry pick managers now. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Steven Gerrard is no where near ready to manage a Premier League club. Let alone one who has aspirations of European football. He has done his job at Rangers. However, he has also been fairly lucky that Celtic, his main competitor has basically turn to shit. 

Don’t get me wrong, he’s done a good job in the league, a very good job last year given they were unbeaten. However, they’ve also failed in domestic cup competitions (putting aside Europa) which are competitions which they should be dominating alongside the league.

The difference between Brendan and Gerrard (in terms of coming down south) is Brendan had PL, C experience. Gerrard may be an exceptional manager one day but realistically, he needs testing in the Championship and Premier League first. I don’t want us to be his first test. Dare I say, I think we are bigger than that and there are other clubs better suited to that initial challenge. Especially given we are a more demanding fan base then we were say 5 years ago (rightly so). 

Steven Gerrard shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Brendan Rodgers in terms of managerial ability. 

Hats off to Gerrard, whatever state Celtic were in he done a great job over the piece to win the league last season. That said any other Rangers manager who had delivered one trophy in three years would have been chased long before that. There's a very real chance had Covid not came on the scene he would have left at the end of his second season as the fans were on his his back after a capitulation post Christmas culminating to losing at home to Hamilton. He had an open goal at a treble last season (Celtic were out both cups) and again Rangers bottled it in the cups. 

If you ignore his reputation as a player he's nowhere near of the standard required to manage a club in the upper echelons of the EPL such as Leicester.

Like I said earlier his 'style' of football is also like watching paint dry, even Rangers fans say as much.

• Like 2

To answer the question you'd have to look at the criteria we'd want our Head Coach to fulfil. I think it would be most if not all of the following:

• British Manager or ability to speak English to a highly proficient level
  • Charismatic and ability to connect with the fans
  • Proven ability to work with and improve young talent.
  • Stylistically tries to play good football of a high technical standard.
  • Proven Premier League experience
  • Proven European experience
  • Proven track record of winning major silverware.
  • Happy to work in a DOF / Head Coach setup.
  • Happy to work with an existing squad and budget.

If you took that list and compared it to managers in the Premier League that would leave you with Guardiola, Klopp, Tuchel and Rodgers. Benitez and Ranieri are the next closest, but they aren't so good with young talent and good football. Maybe Hassenhutl too as he won Bundesliga 2 and finished 2nd with Leipzig.

So I would say that it is extremely hard to find managers as good as Rodgers within our current league, yet alone looking abroad! So appreciate what we've currently got, because it's hard to find.

If you took that above criteria into account, then the names I can think of a potential successor would be:

- Gaultier (won the title at Lille, now at Nice)

- Ten Hag (Ajax)

- Marco Rose

- Adi Hutter

- Jesse Marsch

Of course it's also possible we relax our criteria and go for someone who matches a totally different set of goals. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SkidsFox said:

Spot on. It should be remembered that this is a public forum. We are embarrassing the club in public with this type of debate.

I don't particularly care what the 'public' or non Leicester supporting people that come on here think, why would we, have we some kind of corporate false image to maintain?

A forum is for supporters to air their personal thoughts and views, sometimes we may agree, sometimes not. Some supporters are currently worried about the state of the team and the way things are going on the pitch. Some feel a lot of the blame lies with the manager, some don't. Either way, let's not hide our true thoughts just so we can portray a happy clappy oh so very grateful and together attitude to opposition fans because we're not, it would be a lie. It certainly doesn't embarrass me whatsoever, possibly I've just got a thicker skin.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

Everyone spouting names and wants like those people would be available when the time comes.

BR might be here for another six, 12, 18, 24 months. In that time the wet dreams of Frank or Potter, Gerrard  or whoever might already have moved on to a stage bigger than Leicester's then your dreams are shattered.

Who knows, Potter might have taken Brighton to two fifth place finishes, as we drop down the table and isn't interested, or he's at Stoke as they bombed so badly and he was sacked. The point is, we can all play fantasy managers right now but surely the only time to do it is when BR is either out, or clearly on his way?

The club might well be in succession planning and looking at a few targets, but I really don't see the point in trying to cherry pick managers now. 

Absolutely fair enough if you don't see the point or don't want to take part, just feel free to read another thread you do like.

Despite the errors he's made I still believe we're better off just seeing how the season unfolds.

We cannot ignore the effect the injuries are having on the squad. Sit back relax and let him get on with working on correcting the basic errors.

Then with players returning we should be ok. though i do think this season is virtually gone.

22 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

To answer the question you'd have to look at the criteria we'd want our Head Coach to fulfil. I think it would be most if not all of the following:

If you took that list and compared it to managers in the Premier League that would leave you with Guardiola, Klopp, Tuchel and Rodgers. Benitez and Ranieri are the next closest, but they aren't so good with young talent and good football. Maybe Hassenhutl too as he won Bundesliga 2 and finished 2nd with Leipzig.

So I would say that it is extremely hard to find managers as good as Rodgers within our current league, yet alone looking abroad! So appreciate what we've currently got, because it's hard to find.

If you took that above criteria into account, then the names I can think of a potential successor would be:

- Ten Hag (Ajax)

- Marco Rose

- Adi Hutter

- Jesse Marsch

Of course it's also possible we relax our criteria and go for someone who matches a totally different set of goals. 

With the exception of Euro experience it sounds a lot like our Nigel Pearson is the perfect man for the job.

15 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

- Ten Hag (Ajax)

- Marco Rose

- Adi Hutter

- Jesse Marsch

I totally agree with your assessment regarding the difficulty of finding a good manager. However, it may be worth pointing out that none of Klopp, Benitez, Guardiola and Tuchel had any Premiership experience before coming here and all have been successful to varying degrees. However, arguably they all started out at bigger, richer clubs at the time they first came. I don't therefore feel that Premiership experience is prerequisite personally. As for European experience, it would certainly be desirable but as for Rodgers expertise in that area, I would suggest that he's largely been shite. Likewise his previous Premiership experience was somewhat tainted and following his Liverpool sacking he was definitely persona non grata. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, filbertway said:

I'm in quite a weird position here, because I agree with you in that if people are basing their opinion purely on this season then it's a bit mental, to put it less eloquently haha.

As someone who's concerns date back to early 2021 I'd like to think that I'm either panicking or have a short attention span :D Nothing has really changed in terms of performances this throughout the year.

I do wonder with the recent results and the pressure beginning to mount slightly, whether something might click for Rodgers and we'll finally see a change in philosophy. It's the only hope I have left and it's going to get me through the next 10 days haha

I enjoy most of your posts, we often disagree but always agreeably from my point of view. 

• Like 1

As with Puel and Ranieri the signs was there, and it came as no surprise they was fired.

We have been pretty poor since the Slavia Prague game, I hope Brendan can turn it around but I don’t think he can , our general play and the players body language suggests all is not well.

The Palace game summed it for me an inferior side who pretty much dominated us.

As for a replacement manager, luciano spalletti could be a shout, I was very impressed with the way Napoli pressed and passed the ball,