Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
fleshdaddy

Who next after Brendan?

There's a part of me that can't escape the idea that it probably is time for him to move on. He doesn't deserve the sack but I do think it's showing signs of having gone stale here. If they're willing to pay his compensation package (and they're the only club I don't think who'd baulk at it) then I really think it may happen.

• Like 4

Just now, Costock_Fox said:

Would be a bit shocked if he went but maybe I’ve not anticipated just how much Newcastle will now go for it.

Yeah this is on a totally different scale to Everton / Villa. This is nearer PSG / Man City stuff. They'll spend loads and they'll spend it quickly too. I'm calling Coutinho to be their Robinho signing.

2 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

There's a part of me that can't escape the idea that it probably is time for him to move on. He doesn't deserve the sack but I do think it's showing signs of having gone stale here. If they're willing to pay his compensation package (and they're the only club I don't think who'd baulk at it) then I really think it may happen.

I said in the Palace match thread, there is a feel that the steam is running out. Similar has happened for Rodgers elsewhere. 

1 minute ago, Dan LCFC said:

Yeah this is on a totally different scale to Everton / Villa. This is nearer PSG / Man City stuff. They'll spend loads and they'll spend it quickly too. I'm calling Coutinho to be their Robinho signing.

Crazy stuff, this means I can’t take the piss out of the leicester born Newcastle fan at work now.

Just seen what you posted re it maybe being done behind the scenes for a while, wouldn’t shock me as something doesn’t look right for us does it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

they've got to get a decent manger first then start attracting players. cant see their rise being quick.

33 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Will they though? I've not seen a club properly go for it out the traps since thr modern financial restrictions. Even Man City are built on a chunk of years of cobbling dubious commercial revenue together before they has to sort of conform. I think Newcastle will quickly run in to trouble, if it was this easy this would have already happened to any of the other 14 clubs of any given season in the last 6.

They certainly won't be as bad as they are currently but this will be a considered and measured process if they want success, very much like what we've done.

3 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

Really don’t see Newcastle going for Rodgers. Their no. 1 target will be Conte. They won’t see Rodgers as a manager who will win the league for them. That’s not me criticising Rodgers for what he’s achieved with us but imo they’ll look for someone else. 

A Rodgers type manager is a step up for them, then after a couple of seasons if they have established themselves in the top 6 then go for a WC manager, I guess that’s what their new owners will be thinking. I doubt they would have the clout to get someone like Conte straight away

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

Really don’t see Newcastle going for Rodgers. Their no. 1 target will be Conte. They won’t see Rodgers as a manager who will win the league for them. That’s not me criticising Rodgers for what he’s achieved with us but imo they’ll look for someone else. 

They won't be looking at winning the league straight off. It's bridging that gap into the top 4/6, Rodgers has shown he can compete with those clubs with getting us to two 5th place finishes and a trophy. 

I can see Rodgers being interested in the project and potential funds to mould at squad as he wants too. 

Don't want Rodgers to go, however I'm not sure he can do much more for us than he already has either. 

3 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

A Rodgers type manager is a step up for them, then after a couple of seasons if they have established themselves in the top 6 then go for a WC manager, I guess that’s what their new owners will be thinking. I doubt they would have the clout to get someone like Conte straight away

Will be interesting what they do. Can’t see Bruce lasting long. Although they can’t sign anyone until January so maybe he’ll last a while. Money talks. If they get Conte in straight away then you’ll know they mean business. Would be surprised if Rodgers left us for Newcastle. 

5 hours ago, Happy Fox said:

That's how I see it.  Ambition is fine, but they've sucked for a long time - they won't be able to lure a top manager now.  Rodgers is a good "Point C to Point B" option for them - get them back to respectability and at that point, with their money they can hire someone better.  That's probably the plan, anyway.  Would Rodgers even be interested?  I'm thinking probably not.

On 05/10/2021 at 16:58, Ric Flair said:

It's funny how there's a general consensus you should never discuss future managers but it's fine to discuss future transfers in and out.

If and when Rodgers goes, we don't need a stop gap to steady the ship we need another manager who is better than average and can continue trying to progress this club. We aren't yet as assured in bringing managers in as we perhaps are at building success behind the scenes but maybe I'm being a little unfair. Rodgers has been a hugely successful appointment and you could argue Puel was good for certain things that go unappreciated but he was the pits and Shakespeare on a permanent deal was poor as well. So it's still very much a massive unknown on what the club would do when Rodgers goes. Having to pay him off would be unthinkable and would then likely leave us looking for managers currently out of work, which I could see us turning to Frank Lampard. 

I'd like a future manager who is renown for aggressive football and not afraid to build his team with an edge, ideally he'd have a great track record at developing young players too. I've long admired the football Roger Schmidt gets his teams playing, likewise Marco Rose.

If we want a piece of work then Gattuso would be box office but there's unfinished business here for Cambiasso, he needs a gig before coming here though IMO.

One thing that did encourage me a bit about Leicester last season was something that was in the Mercury about how we were looking at Ruben Amorim if Rodgers was to go, which shows there's at least some succession planning in place and he'd actually be someone I was very happy with - won Sporting their first title in years, nearly went unbeaten as well.

• Like 1

On 05/10/2021 at 22:14, KFS said:

point being the next guy I am willing to give time to, but has to be someone with a higher ceiling than Brendan. I.e doesn’t show some of the tactical and mental frailties that he does. Brendan has been a great manager but I firmly believe he has a ceiling. Consistent fall always show me that he’s not learning and will not surpass that ceiling. The next guy has to be better than that. 

I don't believe it's a case of managers necessarily finding their level of incompetence. Men like Tuchel and Guardiola enjoy the luxury of being bailed out by the resources available to them. They can transfer in superlative, extraordinary players to select as they're needed. The salaries they receive go some way to making their selection or non-selection reasonably comfortable. And, if they win a trophy or two, then they get their medals however contributory they've been to the success.

You can see the lack of awareness and the naïveté inherent in football when ex players are employed to top jobs because of sentimentality. Lampard, for instance, could afford the best players but did he have the nouse to buy the most appropriate players?

Rodgers was lucky to get out of Celtic when his career looked like it was on the decline. We were astute in getting him. But he's not made the best out of the resources available to him. Sure, we've won a major title yet is the team stable enough to scrap out the wins necessary to keep us in the position Top aspires to?

Edited by gerblod
Spell check suggestion not correct
  • Like 1

It depends when brendan leaves us. If he leaves us in december bottom of the table then lets be honest, we will all be screaming Nigel Pearson come in and save us pls. If in the unlikely case he goes to newcastle next week, we'll be in a real pickle. No prem manager will leave their teams mid season so Frank/Potter will be unavailable. Can't really see anyone atm who is available anyway who could really do the job for leicester.

If he leaves at the end of this season with like a top half finish and everything just decent with good cup runs and a europa run then we can look to some of these guys. who knows but circumstances are important

2 hours ago, TheFiveTime said:

It depends when brendan leaves us. If he leaves us in december bottom of the table then lets be honest, we will all be screaming Nigel Pearson come in and save us pls. If in the unlikely case he goes to newcastle next week, we'll be in a real pickle. No prem manager will leave their teams mid season so Frank/Potter will be unavailable. Can't really see anyone atm who is available anyway who could really do the job for leicester.

If he leaves at the end of this season with like a top half finish and everything just decent with good cup runs and a europa run then we can look to some of these guys. who knows but circumstances are important

....the thing with managers is, that they always think a certain position will not come on the market again, so when the chance arises you have to take it!!!

It's weird because it's hard to argue with the overall results. Two fifth placed finishes and an FA cup win, how can anyone want him gone? lol

Yet would I lose any sleep if he went somewhere else? Probably not. 

That said, and I think this is the major issue, we could very easily get the next choice very wrong. 

By the way, I think it's ridiculous that this is even a discussion.