Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
theessexfox

Saudi ownership at LCFC

Thats  the one - 09 Sept 1961.

I wish I could say that it all comes back to me like it was yesterday, but it doesn't really.

I remember the result, the noise of the crowd and Jimmy Walsh signing my programme. Albert Dunlop too as I said.

Thank you very much for looking that up for me, very much appreciated

....I wonder if the new owners would tap into bringing in Rafa and building from there!!!

The fans loved him and always believed he had the best interest of the club at heart. Many players would be a lot happier to see a well respected coach at the helm that an ill-conceived project in the making.

Would Benitez jump ship, I think he might.

3 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....I wonder if the new owners would tap into bringing in Rafa and building from there!!!

The fans loved him and always believed he had the best interest of the club at heart. Many players would be a lot happier to see a well respected coach at the helm that an ill-conceived project in the making.

Would Benitez jump ship, I think he might.

He has enough funding at everton. As they break into top six they will attract world class players. They are 2 or 3 years ahead of Newcastle 

9 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

Most owners are shady. We have some shady dealings  (eiffel tower and all) but lets be honest our ownership is awesome. Loaded, caring and down to earth and we get clappers!

There's definitely levels of shadiness though. That's like saying "well, everyone has done something wrong in their life, so who are we to criticise?"

For example, I might not be be an angel, but I've never chopped someone up and stuck them in a briefcase.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Charl91 said:

There's definitely levels of shadiness though. That's like saying "well, everyone has done something wrong in their life, so who are we to criticise?"

For example, I might not be be an angel, but I've never chopped someone up and stuck them in a briefcase.

I agree with you. Think it's shocking they allowed it but am not surprised

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Charl91 said:

Looking on the bright side, if that's how we start to define decent behaviour I should be on the nobel peace prize short-list pretty soon.

• Haha 1

The main problem for me is that football is an escape, and having these people in the premier league does significant damage to that for me. 

I don’t want to be thinking about genocide and beheading whilst I’m talking about/watching football, and I definitely don’t want my money going near these people by choice. 

For me, I’ll give it this season, listen to people’s opinions, but if I don’t feel differently at the end then it’s the end for me, I’ll find something else to do of a weekend. 

It’s very sad, and no fault of our club, but we’ve done more than I ever thought possible from when I started in the early 90s as a little kid. I just don’t want to be associated with the league any more.

The super league is just a matter of time. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, FoxesWalk said:

The main problem for me is that football is an escape, and having these people in the premier league does significant damage to that for me. 

I don’t want to be thinking about genocide and beheading whilst I’m talking about/watching football, and I definitely don’t want my money going near these people by choice. 

For me, I’ll give it this season, listen to people’s opinions, but if I don’t feel differently at the end then it’s the end for me, I’ll find something else to do of a weekend. 

It’s very sad, and no fault of our club, but we’ve done more than I ever thought possible from when I started in the early 90s as a little kid. I just don’t want to be associated with the league any more.

I feel similarly.  My interest in football, or men's football at least, has declined to the point where I only watch Leicester matches these days.  The competitive distortion, the source of the wealth that causes it and the people involved are a big part of that.  Even with City, winning the FA Cup and Premier League in recent years leaves me feeling there is little else to achieve which also impacts my levels of interest.

In the summer I watched the equivalent of about two matches of the Euros, and only half an hour of the final before I realised I just wasn't interested.  My younger self wouldn't believe I'd switch off England in a final, or that there would be players in the squad I didn't recognise, but that's where I'm at.

I've gone back to volunteering with a women's and girl's club recently and everything about that is so much more enjoyable than the Premier League for me.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Charl91 said:

We only have your word for that Abdullah. 

Edited by volpeazzurro

2 hours ago, Charl91 said:

Suitcase?

4 hours ago, Lineker's Lugs said:

I feel similarly.  My interest in football, or men's football at least, has declined to the point where I only watch Leicester matches these days.  The competitive distortion, the source of the wealth that causes it and the people involved are a big part of that.  Even with City, winning the FA Cup and Premier League in recent years leaves me feeling there is little else to achieve which also impacts my levels of interest.

In the summer I watched the equivalent of about two matches of the Euros, and only half an hour of the final before I realised I just wasn't interested.  My younger self wouldn't believe I'd switch off England in a final, or that there would be players in the squad I didn't recognise, but that's where I'm at.

I've gone back to volunteering with a women's and girl's club recently and everything about that is so much more enjoyable than the Premier League for me.

There have been many times over the last few seasons when watching my daughter play on Sundays has been genuinely more entertaining than watching City the same weekend 

I agree with some of the sentiments above aroun people being turned off of football/premier league in general.

For those, how about going to watch some lower league football? I used to watch a distant family member play for Hinckley Utd and it was so much more entertaining, interesting and exciting than LCFC slogging it out in the Championship as it was at the time

8 minutes ago, when_you're_smiling said:

Don’t think I’ve seen or read a better ‘article’ on the subject than this cartoon. That final panel…

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2021/oct/12/david-squires-on-newcastle-united-saudi-takeover

Wow. That's one of the most damming and forthright 'cartoon' I've seen/read. Nothing unequivocal there. But then it's no laughing matter. 

• Like 3

On 09/10/2021 at 13:08, FoxesWalk said:

Danny Kelly said much the same thing last night on Talksport re ESL. The 4 big dominant clubs aren't going to like this new arrangement. One of them will surely get pushed out of the top 4 so no guarantee of CL for them which will push them towards a super league. 

The EPL is turning into a league where success is defined on who has the richest owners. God knows what it'll be like ten years from now.

Can't say I like where things are headed, true competition seems to be eroded as these oligarchs play real life football manager and ultimately those who throw enough money at it end up being successful.

Doubt it'll ever happen but it'd be great if this could be torn up and clubs could go towards some 50+1, fan ownership model. The EPL in particular generates more than enough money from TV deals alone for this to be workable. Horse has bolted though now all these foreign owners have their claws dug in already.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

The EPL is turning into a league where success is defined on who has the richest owners. God knows what it'll be like ten years from now.

Can't say I like where things are headed, true competition seems to be eroded as these oligarchs play real life football manager and ultimately those who throw enough money at it end up being successful.

Doubt it'll ever happen but it'd be great if this could be torn up and clubs could go towards some 50+1, fan ownership model. The EPL in particular generates more than enough money from TV deals alone for this to be workable. Horse has bolted though now all these foreign owners have their claws dug in already.

.....the 50+1 will not produce a level playing field, someone will always be striving to push the boundaries!!!

The rich owners may no longer be in charge but down the line not much is going to change. At this moment the endorsements will still be in place and the same clubs will have the upper hand and we may feel a sense of morality has been re-in stored to the game, but people will be looking at ways of advancing their own entity, in any way they can.