Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
theessexfox

Saudi ownership at LCFC

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

I don't personally believe this is true. 

Or, at least, it is to a point but not in the way I think you may be implying. 

Spurs got to a Champions League final just by slowly building bit by bit, selling a few players for big profit, investing it wisely, taking continuous steps forward, eventually getting in to the Champions League, using that money to keep improving and so on. 

In the last two seasons we were seconds away from the CL. Had we succeeded, there's an opportunity to reinvest that money to stay there, etc. 

So, yeah, I mean you still need money but you don't quite need billions of pounds of oil money. As has been pointed out already, PSG and Man City haven't exactly been destroying the CL. 

I think they key word in @Stevosevic’s post is ‘continue’. It’s great doing it once or twice, continuing to do it is to going to be incredibly difficult over a decade or longer or so, and even if you do have a bit of money (like say Arsenal).

Did have a bit of sympathy for Newcastle fans on the dilemma until I saw a few of their comments online including one saying they ‘deserved this’. 🤮 

Edited by when_you're_smiling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevosevic said:

Our philosophy has taken us as far as it's going to I'm afraid. 

Need the big money to continue to compete in the top 6.

With our philosophy it’s always likely things can go wrong, it only take a few bad decisions. It doesn’t mean the philosophy is wrong or broken, it just means we might need a reset every now and again. 

Our ownership has proven their way of doing things works. Is it hard, yes… very hard, top 6 regularly is night on impossible without money. But you can force your way in here and there and I’m sure that’s our continued aim.

• Like 4

Imagine being a Chelsea fan.

First you had Ken Bates and now your successful under a Russian Oligarch  who has ALLEGED  close links to Mr.Putin.

I'm sure Sheikh  Mansour  didnt get his wealth just by selling t shirts on a market stall.

I'm also sure the American billionaire owners of Arsenal, ManUre etc etc ain't all that either.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, theessexfox said:

In a parallel universe where we have an owner who wants to sell up and the best (only) interested party is the Saudi sovereign wealth fund, what’s your reaction? Cut all ties with the club? Stop going to games? Continue as normal?

Well, seeing that as it is I’m very seriously wondering whether I can continue implicitly supporting an organisation that thinks people who chop journalists into little pieces are fit and proper owners, I’m pretty sure I would no longer give my money to the club if I knew it were owned by murderous tyrants, and I would not be helping them with their sportswashing.

As I say, this might be the last straw for me anyway tbh.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Raj said:

Imagine being a Chelsea fan.

First you had Ken Bates and now your successful under a Russian Oligarch  who has ALLEGED  close links to Mr.Putin.

I'm sure Sheikh  Mansour  didnt get his wealth just by selling t shirts on a market stall.

I'm also sure the American billionaire owners of Arsenal, ManUre etc etc ain't all that either.

It is true. Seems you rarely get to be filthy rich without being a little filthy

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Phil Bowman said:

Well, seeing that as it is I’m very seriously wondering whether I can continue implicitly supporting an organisation that thinks people who chop journalists into little pieces are fit and proper owners, I’m pretty sure I would no longer give my money to the club if I knew it were owned by murderous tyrants, and I would not be helping them with their sportswashing.

As I say, this might be the last straw for me anyway tbh.

I feel the same, I feel for my LGBTQ friends who have basically just had a bit F U from the league today too

• Like 3

Really interesting discussion this one. Enjoyed reading through the thread! Would I walk away? No. I would however walk away if we were owned by Red Bull or someone and they came in and changed the colours, name, badge etc. or if for whatever reason we no longer played in Leicester. 

Just now, BenTheFox said:

Really interesting discussion this one. Enjoyed reading through the thread! Would I walk away? No. I would however walk away if we were owned by Red Bull or someone and they came in and changed the colours, name, badge etc. or if for whatever reason we no longer played in Leicester. 

It's a franchise!!!! :P *Ugh* *Shudder*

12 minutes ago, Sly said:

Money can buy you all the players in the world.

Money can’t buy you a team.

Teams win matches, leagues and trophies. 

Money can buy you the best managers, football directors and coaches and they can build the team for you.

That's why, on average, teams with the most money tend to win the most trophies. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, cheshamfox17 said:

I feel the same, I feel for my LGBTQ friends who have basically just had a bit F U from the league today too

We're actually going to have Newcastle players who have been bought with Saudi money wearing the rainbow laces soon because it fits in with the PL image and campaign, whilst gay people are still persecuted and killed in said country.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Kinda a different situation though, this purchase is purely for sports washing reasons 

Yea. Lots of things wrong with this ownership, none more so worrying than the morals these people come with. 

The footer at the bottom of the sky piece summed it up “The premier league and Newcastle have refused to comment”. 

1 hour ago, Sly said:

Money can buy you all the players in the world.

Money can’t buy you a team.

Teams win matches, leagues and trophies. 

A manager and good staff can make a team. Money can buy you a manager and good staff.

• Like 2

Saudi Arabia are almost as bad as the Taliban with how they treat people. Pro- torture, anti women and girls rights, anti LGBT, no free speech, execution. Serious problems. Newcastle will be used as a cover up for the bad image. They'll turn into unethical super rich club we all have to compete against. Turns you off the Premier League. I still shake my head that our title winning starting eleven was under 30 million. 

• Like 1