Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Brentford 1-2 LCFC - Post Match Thread

1 hour ago, Vlad the Fox said:

A Leicester City branded one at that lol 

I think the club should give them away one match, just for the 100+ pages irate thread it will generate on here lol 

The club need to make out that it is going be bright pink as well, for it then to just have a little pink logo on it

The meltdown over those pink caps at Chelsea a couple of years ago was great

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Wasn't really worth putting anywhere else, and might have missed it, but seriously disappointed in Brentford's new ground. Seen a few other comments on social media, but what a letdown.

An unobstructed view of the pitch was literally the only thing going for it.

Noticed as I was leaving that they seemed to have given 0 thought to any disabled away fans at the game

No ramp and just one lift operating at I think 2 at a time to get back up to road level

• Like 2

when will people realise having loads of possession doesnt necessarily make you the better side.  Kasper didnt have a great deal to do in the 1st half for all Brentfords possession.  Toney disallowed goal rightly ruled out for offside, tip over by Schmeichel again from Toney and one other save.

Will stick by what I said earlier Brenntford remind me of Stoke.  They rely on set pieces and long throw ins, corners especially.  They are a tall physical side who like putting it about lost count the amount of times Maddison was fouled, who by the way is now the new hate figure for their fans.

At no time yesterday during that game did I think we were going to lose.  We actually controlled the 2nd  half with great game management to see  it out.

I would also suggest Salty Thomas Franck gets a highlights reel of Tielemans playing and scoring goals.  To call that strike lucky is quite Frankly absurd.  Mans a

twonk.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Corky said:

Didn't @The Bear come on here a few weeks ago and say they did exactly the same at Molineux?

Yep. They can't whine about any team wasting time. 

It's something we need to be smarter at tbh. We did it at Leeds on Saturday but didn't quite hold out. Plenty of their fans were moaning about us going down easily. 

Ultimately all teams do it. 

• Like 2

Eventually these teams will get figured out, just like Sheffield Utds. Im not worried about why they were dominant. The game at home against Brentford i believe will be completly different in terms of dominance and possession.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Wasn't really worth putting anywhere else, and might have missed it, but seriously disappointed in Brentford's new ground. Seen a few other comments on social media, but what a letdown.

An unobstructed view of the pitch was literally the only thing going for it.

I couldn't get back to the station lol

With it being so close, I thought this is easy, and then at full time we had to go back through oncoming Brentford fans. Mad setup.

• Like 1

The way Brentford played reminded me a lot of us when we came up. High energy, creating chances, kept themselves in the game but ultimately came away with nothing. The difference between being a good Championship side and being an established PL side is the quality and sheer ruthlessness in front of goal. Frank would be wise to take heed of Big Nige's constant reminders that it's a game of fine margins. There were many games where in our first season we were in the game only to be punished by either a single chance or a moment of sublime quality. That's football at the top level. The movement of their front two reminded me of Nugent and Vardy (14/15), great understanding but lacking that cutting edge other teams had. 

For me they are a good exciting team to watch but I feel that they're a little naive in their all round game. I think their dominance in the first half was somewhat exaggerated by the fact that they constantly got in behind us but often did so by being offside as their forwards weren't bending their runs. I also felt confident that for all their possession we could at any point turnover play and spring the counter as they were playing an incredibly high line which was eventually going to be penetrated. Furthermore, I felt they were lucky not to receive more cards. It seemed that they'd made a conscious decision to target Maddison, and whilst I acknowledge that he has historically usually gone down too easily, I thought there were quite a few heavy challenges on him that went unpunished yesterday. 

As for us, it was a solid efficient performance. We ground out the result after what has been a long week against decent opposition. I really like the look of this current team, there's a nice balance to it and allows us good options off the bench. Fair play to Rodgers for reflecting and turning the ship around. A good result against Arsenal on Saturday and we're suddenly back in the game. :scarf:

Edited by ian__marshall
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, suffolk fox said:

when will people realise having loads of possession doesnt necessarily make you the better side.  Kasper didnt have a great deal to do in the 1st half for all Brentfords possession.  Toney disallowed goal rightly ruled out for offside, tip over by Schmeichel again from Toney and one other save.

Will stick by what I said earlier Brenntford remind me of Stoke.  They rely on set pieces and long throw ins, corners especially.  They are a tall physical side who like putting it about lost count the amount of times Maddison was fouled, who by the way is now the new hate figure for their fans.

At no time yesterday during that game did I think we were going to lose.  We actually controlled the 2nd  half with great game management to see  it out.

I would also suggest Salty Thomas Franck gets a highlights reel of Tielemans playing and scoring goals.  To call that strike lucky is quite Frankly absurd.  Mans a

twonk.

See I agree….

Its all well and good running, pressing, passing and rushing a few more chances than your opposition, but at the end of the day the wise sides will just let them crack on and pick them off.

Brentford are doing what a lot of new teams do, keep on playing the same way, and aren’t flexible enough and eventually the leagues quality catches up with them.

Brentford don’t seem to score a lot of goals which is a concern, they will stay up because there are definitely hand full of teams worse than they are, but they’re not the creators of the high press, but there are games to do it in, and games not too… Brentford are overly aggressive with their press for me, which means they give the perception they’re dominating games, but in reality what they’re doing is, is leaving themselves open to be hit on the break, and the better teams will find ways to play through the press. They will never get thrashed because they’re defensively well organised, but what will happen is they will lose games by tight margins because the opponent will always get good chances, and the better opponents will score them. 

• Like 1

The Brentford love in from some quarters imo is a bit ott.

They are organised and run around like mad men , high intensity, high press with very little creativity and threat.

I don't think they will be able to sustain it throughout the season and sadly for them a combination of fatigue, being found out and inevitable injuries will see them struggling nearer the foot than the top of the table.

Frank acted like a mardy ar*ed 🔔 end, he needs to learn some humility and class!

• Like 1

I was quite impressed by Brentford despite them finishing second in the game.

They have some threat.  Their players play with intensity.    

The fouling of Maddison was annoying but all teams do it.   

I thought our handling of the games was pretty good.  I didn't see all of the second half as a plastic with a dodgy stream.   Looking forward to being at the KP for the Arsenal game.  I might take a sound proof hood so I get into the comfort zone of pretending my stream is down for parts of the game.

11 hours ago, NewBee said:

Interesting observation.

For the last 3 or 4 seasons, BFC have played very much a passing, possession-based game, which many neutral observers reckoned was the "best" football in the Championship.

But this season we've clearly gone for a modified, more direct style, including signing big, strong physical players, meaning that we mix it far more these days. Set pieces - esp long throws - are more important than ever.

Which I reckon all goes back to a comment from one of our DoF's a few years back, that "you don't challenge Goliath to a wrestling match if you're David!"

In other words, while Brentford were clearly one of the better footballing sides in the Championship, if we tried to "out-football" other teams in the PL, then we'd get beaten regularly, since (most) PL teams are better at it than us.

That said, I suspect the plan is to survive a season or two by whatever means necessary, until the revenue accrued means we can sign more and better players, and try to compete on more equal terms. Either way, everything the club does is pragmatic, not dogmatic, and planned as far in advance as possible.

Beyond that, I can't really begrudge Leicester your 3 points today, since that's how football goes sometimes. But being as unbiased* as I can, I genuinely believe we deserved at least a point, and might as easily have got all 3 as your team.

Oh well, Onwards and Upwards!

* - OK, not very lol

I agree with all of what you’ve said and Leicester can speak from experience of adopting a similar approach ourselves when we came up. The jump in standard is huge, so a good footballing team in the Championship can’t expect to bring that same game and get the same results in the Prem. We had a lot of genuine pace throughout our team, layered the back line with physicality (Morgan, Huth, Wasyl) and sat in and played counter attacking football with Vards & Mahrez the quality outlets up the top end of the pitch. We’ve since transitioned from a counter-attacking team to a possession based team whilst improving the quality. I was saying exactly this to my mate coming out the ground yesterday, I would expect with your excellent recruitment, once you get through this season you can then start to “upgrade” and revert back to the style of play you have played in previous seasons outside of the top flight.

My comments weren’t intended to be a criticism by the way, I was just genuinely surprised at the approach from snippets I had seen of you this season (admittedly not a lot) and from what I had seen last season.

I also agree we were very lucky to take the 3pts, a point would have been about right but if you had to pick a winner I thought you guys had more threat, especially in the first half. 

All the best for the season, I can see you being a real handful at the KP with the way you setup too.

Just finally, how good was Ajer when he came on? I thought he looked superb after coming on at half time, was bringing the ball forward and was becoming a threat on the ball! 

5 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

The most reassuring thing about yesterday was the amount of grit and team work shown. Once we’ve got that second, I felt that’s the hardest we’ve worked off the ball in a long time. Winning the second balls, making challenges and helping each other out. A marked improvement in comparison to the start of the season where everything looked not quite right 

Here here! We had to dig deep and bat off a lot of pressure through those closing stages. Think most of our starting 11 will be afforded a rest for the midweek cup game and hopefully ready to pick it back up again against Arsenal on Saturday!!

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

Sorry but Brentford were not that good and certainly did not "batter" us. They might have had more shots/chances, but we had the better chances.

I was disappointed in Brentford if I'm being honest. They were very direct and long throws remain awful to watch. Everytime they had a set piece one of their players went down.

Picky here but their goal came from a corner which was conceded as Jansson was doing the exactly same thing that Maupay did to Vestergaard at the Brighton game, grabbing players arms to affect their jump. 

Thought the linesmen in the second half running our defensive line was feckin terrible, particularly when it came to the ‘play on’ rule. Multiple occasions he let it run on when they were offside and they got resulting corners or long throw ins 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Picky here but their goal came from a corner which was conceded as Jansson was doing the exactly same thing that Maupay did to Vestergaard at the Brighton game, grabbing players arms to affect their jump. 

Thought the linesmen in the second half running our defensive line was feckin terrible, particularly when it came to the ‘play on’ rule. Multiple occasions he let it run on when they were offside and they got resulting corners or long throw ins 

I actually thought Jannson was offside when that original ball came into the box which we then conceded the corner from …. Was expecting the flag to go up at that point. Not seen it back yet but would be interested to see it as like you say, that Lino seemed to be bit of a bell. I particularly liked the one where Toney clipped Evans’ heels as the ball rolled out for a Brentford throw only for no foul to be given on Evans ….. some ludicrous and inconsistent decisions throughout the game!

• Like 2

It was hard to make a good quality version GIF of Youri's strike and featuring all the angles. The initial attempt was a failure... but never give up! :punk:

giphy.gif

His strike actually started outside the post and swerved in. Totally insane strike and even better than his FA Cup final one, even though nowhere near as iconic.

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Rodgers said he felt it in the warm up but that Vardy wanted to play but they took him off as he wasn't right. Knee injuries are always a worry.

1 hour ago, les-tah said:

Absolutely crazy risking him when Daka just scored 4 the previous game?!

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Yeah does seem silly

Rodgers said that Vardy felt he was okay to start.

I like the manager trusts the opinion of his senior players.

Of course every selection is a gamble of some sort.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hack said:

They really do execute a very entertaining style of play.  Fitness levels have to be extremely high to play it for a whole game.  Also, they chase a game result so hard it leaves them vulnerable to just what we did by hitting them on the counter.  They commit everyone forward and were completely torn apart by the rapid counter. But if you are a fan of their team, you love the attempt to win everything.  

Re your bold, I've no doubt BFC will have done a statistical analysis of Game Management tactics and concluded that by "going for it to the end", you gain more points than you lose by playing safe and holding on.

In the Liverpool game for instance, we were 3-2 down late on, but managed to get an equaliser. But we still kept piling in and only had a very late "winner" chalked off by the tightest of offside calls. Even Klopp admitted that Liverpool were glad to get the draw.

Then away to WHU, Bees took the lead on 20 mins, but when WHU finally equalised on 80 minutes, most teams would have been happy with the away draw against an in-form opponent. But BFC kept plugging away and got the winner in the 94th minute.

No doubt the club's analysts will express it more scientifically than me, but I assume this reflects that losing the draw like we did against Leicester cost us one point, whereas converting the draw against WHU into a win gained us two extra points.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

It was hard to make a good quality version GIF of Youri's strike and featuring all the angles. The initial attempt was a failure... but never give up! :punk:

giphy.gif

His strike actually started outside the post and swerved in. Totally insane strike and even better than his FA Cup final one, even though nowhere near as iconic.

Can't agree with this, the ball sits up perfectly for him to hit here. When it's coming back to you it's easier to catch it right with the way spin works and you'll feel it lift off better and see it absolutely fly most of the time.

Youri's FA cup one is all his own power and control, he's running with the ball to catch up to it, hunkers down over where it will be and smacks it laces and up from the bottom - it goes up to the perfect height, plateaus and wobbles slightly while flying into the top corner; an absolute howitzer of a strike.

Balls coming back to you are just easier to hit imo