Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kmoore.11@btinternet.com

What's Happening On The Pitch

Ex-City players and other commentators spend too much time on 'Coulda-Woulda-Shoulda' instead of describing what is actually happening .That's OK on TV , but Radio listeners need to be able to visualise what is happening . Just because we're not there for one reason or another , we don't deserve to be treated to incidental moments during a discussion between so-called experts . 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

.....just listening to the commentary on the game and you notice the difference between Stringer and Palmer-Atkin!!!

OPA does tend to stray, and we are non the wiser about what is happening on the pitch. Then he become excited about a feature of our play and no lead up, to how we got into the position.

He does need to paint the picture and keep us informed of what is going on, as opposed to chit chat with Matt Piper on a goal that he had previously described and  and continue over analysing it.

..wait, whats this?

A Leicester city fan is shagging an infatable dinosaur whilst being slapped on the arse with a clapper. Oh dear, tom hopper (the new bond) is in the stands and has brought his inflatable eiffel tower.....down goes the dinosaur....

1 hour ago, [email protected] said:

Ex-City players and other commentators spend too much time on 'Coulda-Woulda-Shoulda' instead of describing what is actually happening .That's OK on TV , but Radio listeners need to be able to visualise what is happening . Just because we're not there for one reason or another , we don't deserve to be treated to incidental moments during a discussion between so-called experts . 

I, for one, love when a radio commentator says something like, “YOU WILL NEVER SEE A BETTER GOAL THAN THAT!” 

I’m always like, “gee, thanks, I suppose you’re right.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

As a listener, I'd rather hear where the action is at the expense of which player has the ball.

eg "Norwich in possession, down their right, 10 yards inside their own half " etc instead of "Aarons to Gibson, now with Gilmour, lays it off to Pukki" etc

Ideally you want both of course.

i dunno…” Huth with the free kick” made me sit bolt upright

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, 5waller5 said:

I don’t know tbf - but generally when someone disappears from work without any mention of leaving and is never talked about again it’s because they were sacked. 

Pretty sure Matt piper said Stringer was on a health break?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 5waller5 said:

It’s definitely improved since Stringer got sacked

You say that, but after my stream went down with half an hour to go against Brentford, I switched to radio  leicester  and ended up shouting at the radio telling them to get on with the commentary, after hearing OPA and Matt piper constantly talking waffle for what felt 2 minutes at a time, while the play was going on.  I also had no idea at times as to where on the pitch the ball was. We had a throw in at one point apparently on the edge of the penalty box, but there had been no commentary before hand to actually give any indication of who's penalty box the throw  in was being taken from.  We also had a free kick at one point, i think it was in an attacking area, but after telling us that we had the free kick, they started waffling about something else, and tge next commentary we heard was the ball going out for a corner for Brentford! I was still waiting for our free kick to be taken!  Due to Stringers absence, OPA has been thrown into the deep end to be fair, but I hope he listens back to his commentaries to see where he can improve, because on the half an hour that I listened for, it was a hard listen to be honest in my opinion.

• Like 2

For the first time in ages, I listened to a BBC 5 Live commentary whilst driving the other week.

John Murray, I think.

He does this thing where his tone of voice rises as the likelihood of a goal increases.

Whilst it can be annoying if you concentrate on it, it's actually a decent clue about where the ball is and what the play might be leading to, if he is saying players' names and describing their actions.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

As a listener, I'd rather hear where the action is at the expense of which player has the ball.

eg "Norwich in possession, down their right, 10 yards inside their own half " etc instead of "Aarons to Gibson, now with Gilmour, lays it off to Pukki" etc

Ideally you want both of course.

I don't know if OPA does it, but Stringer had fallen into the commentator's trap of repeating names:, "Aarons to Gibson, Gibson...to Gilmour, Gilmour...to Pukki..." 

Edited by Arkie Bennett

2 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Pretty sure Matt piper said Stringer was on a health break?

Stringer is in a bad way at the moment with some health issues.Was told by a very close friend of his.Dont really like the bloke personally but should give people in his state some privacy could happen to any of us.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.....just listening to the commentary on the game and you notice the difference between Stringer and Palmer-Atkin!!!

OPA does tend to stray, and we are non the wiser about what is happening on the pitch. Then he become excited about a feature of our play and no lead up, to how we got into the position.

He does need to paint the picture and keep us informed of what is going on, as opposed to chit chat with Matt Piper on a goal that he had previously described and  and continue over analysing it.

He’s trying to hard to be Stringer 

• Like 3