Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kmoore.11@btinternet.com

What's Happening On The Pitch

20 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

I've got nothing against Stringer - I grew up listening to Neville Foulger which is probably why I am so biased towards his style. The man was my insight into City matches up until I became a regular at the ground. He had an excellent tone of voice for radio, good descriptions and was unquestionably bias but was still willing to ask the difficult questions. 

The issue with Radio Leicester (I dont know the ins and outs) is that Neville Foulger left at the end of one season and then we had someone else takeover. It was very quickly done. I dont think that the replacement (I cant remember the name) was someone usual listeners felt the same attachment as they did to Neville. I think in hindsight, the station should've eased a replacement in so that it was a sort of passing of the baton - if you notice, each commentator since Neville Foulger left has had their fair share of critics - because they all have their own style which is different to a familiar voice. That's not a bad thing its just sometimes people do not like change. 

Personally, commentary is commentary for me and if we are winning, I dont care who is calling it!

I also grew up listening to Nev Foulger. I believe John Sinclair continued after Nev for a while?

A lot of the criticism of Ian Stringer on here is not only factually incorrect but borderline character assassination; It's way over the top IMO.

Owynn PA is still learning the ropes and clearly has had to take over way before his time - but his commentary is only passable & his post match interviews with BR are really quite poor.

Just now, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Nev was struggling to keep up with the pace of the action towards the end (by his own admission too) so replacing him as commentator wasn't the major problem.

What they should've done was keep him on as the analyst, which he was superb at.

Shabbily treated, sadly, after many years of working for them.

Thing is,

It’s hard to notice that someone is a bit behind the action on the radio as they are your eyes and ears.

I though Nev still had it as I was still listening right to the end.

He was a class or two above what’s followed him.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, smudger63 said:

You say that, but after my stream went down with half an hour to go against Brentford, I switched to radio  leicester  and ended up shouting at the radio telling them to get on with the commentary, after hearing OPA and Matt piper constantly talking waffle for what felt 2 minutes at a time, while the play was going on.  I also had no idea at times as to where on the pitch the ball was. We had a throw in at one point apparently on the edge of the penalty box, but there had been no commentary before hand to actually give any indication of who's penalty box the throw  in was being taken from.  We also had a free kick at one point, i think it was in an attacking area, but after telling us that we had the free kick, they started waffling about something else, and tge next commentary we heard was the ball going out for a corner for Brentford! I was still waiting for our free kick to be taken!  Due to Stringers absence, OPA has been thrown into the deep end to be fair, but I hope he listens back to his commentaries to see where he can improve, because on the half an hour that I listened for, it was a hard listen to be honest in my opinion.

Same here with the stream going down, just as Brentford equalised. I didn't have access to RL Commentary downstairs and couldn't be bothered to go upstairs to put myself through more torture, so I "watched" it "Live" on the Bet 365 app :unsure:.

That was painful!

1 hour ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

I've got nothing against Stringer - I grew up listening to Neville Foulger which is probably why I am so biased towards his style. The man was my insight into City matches up until I became a regular at the ground. He had an excellent tone of voice for radio, good descriptions and was unquestionably bias but was still willing to ask the difficult questions. 

The issue with Radio Leicester (I dont know the ins and outs) is that Neville Foulger left at the end of one season and then we had someone else takeover. It was very quickly done. I dont think that the replacement (I cant remember the name) was someone usual listeners felt the same attachment as they did to Neville. I think in hindsight, the station should've eased a replacement in so that it was a sort of passing of the baton - if you notice, each commentator since Neville Foulger left has had their fair share of critics - because they all have their own style which is different to a familiar voice. That's not a bad thing its just sometimes people do not like change. 

Personally, commentary is commentary for me and if we are winning, I dont care who is calling it!

...I think the guy who took over was Sinclair who i quite liked, but he was not there too long when he moved on for Stringer!!!

Big fan of Folger and loved listening to him. The rugby commentators were the same as Van Hopkins was the voice of the tigers and it was very difficult to have someone take over from him and you have to get used to someone who is  not part of the "family". Bleddyn took over and had a very different style and you then you start to accept the change of style plus he sounded like a real fan. He has recently passed and now we have Chris Egerton who struggle to endear me to his commentaries and personality.

Edited by sacreblueits442
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, evil jack said:

I also grew up listening to Nev Foulger. I believe John Sinclair continued after Nev for a while?

A lot of the criticism of Ian Stringer on here is not only factually incorrect but borderline character assassination; It's way over the top IMO.

Owynn PA is still learning the ropes and clearly has had to take over way before his time - but his commentary is only passable & his post match interviews with BR are really quite poor.

...his questions are quite lengthy aren't they!!!

It is as if he tries to ask the questions Stringer failed to ask, but trying to put them across in a non confrontational manner, so he is continually searching for the correct words to say. They (Palmer-Atkins questions) can become a long winded ramble, and as you say he is learning the ropes.

Certainly will have to get his own style and has a habit of leaning on Piper and becoming repetitive. He comes across as a Uni student who does this sort of thing on a hospital radio, but being dropped into the deep end, he is perhaps glad to have the opportunity.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I learned so much from Nev, working for him at his press agency when I was 16 and then at Radio Leicester. He was old school, hard but fair.

We did our first commentary together at Boro in 1993 (when I was 20), the night Walshie got stretchered off.

I learned more from him about journalism and broadcasting than anyone else.

Hopefully going to see him soon for a coffee and catch up and will pass on the good wishes from those who remember him.

Wow I was at that match. Horrible game from start to finish. 

On to Fouldger, I went to most games during that era but when I did listen in I liked his style. He mentioned how we were  lacking quality balls a lot and he was probably right until Walshie returned lol

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Arkie Bennett said:

I don't know if OPA does it, but Stringer had fallen into the commentator's trap of repeating names:, "Aarons to Gibson, Gibson...to Gilmour, Gilmour...to Pukki..." 

Pah! terrible example . As if Norwich could complete 3 consecutive passes ....

3 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...his questions are quite lengthy aren't they!!!

It is as if he tries to ask the questions Stringer failed to ask, but trying to put them across in a non confrontational manner, so he is continually searching for the correct words to say. They (Palmer-Atkins questions) can become a long winded ramble, and as you say he is learning the ropes.

Certainly will have to get his own style and has a habit of leaning on Piper and becoming repetitive. He comes across as a Uni student who does this sort of thing on a hospital radio, but being dropped into the deep end, he is perhaps glad to have the opportunity.

Yes I've noticed this about Owen, rather long winded,  you can almost hear Rodgers thinking ' get to the point ! ' 

• Haha 1

Radio Leicester is poor nowadays anyway. 

OPA annoys me a lot, just listen to the amount of times he says 'of course'. The lack of his pronouncing the letter 't' also winds me more and more.

That said I don't miss Stringer either, like many others say, the 90s commentators were much better

• Like 1

Must be tough for OPA going in at the deep end like that, and he does a decent job overall, but definitely needs to fine-tune some elements of his style. 

His questions to BR should be just that - a question. 3 or 4 seconds. No ‘because…’ and then a 20 second ramble. Keep it simple. 

And his use of the term ‘of course’ in every other sentence really is quite noticeable.

Tough job though, and he’s only a young lad, so fair play in many ways. 

• Like 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot
16 hours ago, 5waller5 said:

I don’t know tbf - but generally when someone disappears from work without any mention of leaving and is never talked about again it’s because they were sacked. 

Generally it's best not to speculate.

On 26/10/2021 at 12:08, gerblod said:

And there you have the difference between Foulger and the current commentating crew.

Radio requires a different standard of commentary - the descriptive skills of a legion of pre-TV commentators had to suffice for all those who couldn't get to the match. So they had to be excellent at conveying the ebb-and-flow of the game - that meant a deep understanding of tactical play.

I don't often listen to BBC commentaries on 5 Live, but they are at that level where ones visualisation of what is happening isn't far behind the run of play.

A sudden crescendo accompanying a chance on goal, followed by the usual drop in volume and excitement doesn't do the job and since last season, when every City game was televised RL commentary just leaves me cold. LCFC radio commentary isn't any better.

People like Barry Davies had a deep perception of the game and could paint a sound picture whether commentating on radio or TV.

Barry Davies, for me the best commentator ever. That guy could have made a snail race sound like a brilliant contest.

His autobiography is a cracking read btw.

Edited by Incognito
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, adam said:

Did he get sacked? 

18 hours ago, 5waller5 said:

I don’t know tbf - but generally when someone disappears from work without any mention of leaving and is never talked about again it’s because they were sacked. 

2 hours ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Generally it's best not to speculate.

Piper posted a video explaining he was taking time out for health reasons. 

Although heath reasons are personal You would've thought RL could've made a simple statement to that effect and wished him well in his recovery. 

16 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

Although heath reasons are personal You would've thought RL could've made a simple statement to that effect and wished him well in his recovery. 

....would have made a lot of sense....!!!

That is the usual protocol when someone has gone on leave because of personal reasons, just wish him well.

3 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

3 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....would have made a lot of sense....!!!

That is the usual protocol when someone has gone on leave because of personal reasons, just wish him well.

I would say that it's best just to let him get better in his own time as it's nobody's business but his.

5 hours ago, Incognito said:

Barry Davies, for me the best commentator ever. That guy could have made a snail face sound like a brilliant contest.

His autobiography is a cracking read btw.

To be fair, I'm already well up for a commentary on the latest snail face.

• Haha 2

Someone who found a way of describing what was happening and talks about other stuff all at the same time - the unique style of Stuart Halls commentaries (I know he turned out to be a dubious character), surrealism meets razzmatazz, games never seemed dull, "Dashing Dartanian arrives, assesses the legion of enemy guards stood between him and the castle, gallantly strides towards his sworn enemy, some of them wounded from previous encounters and carves his way through with musket and saber towards the location of the captive fair maiden" = Ginola's took on a defender on the edge of the box.

16 hours ago, Rain King said:

I seem to be in a minority but I love it when I hear Alan Parry's voice on commentary.

Maybe thats just a love by association as he seemed to be on commentary for all of our major moments in the 90s.

Alan Parry is an absolutely enormous part of this club's 1990's history. He was arguably the voice of our achievements and biggest days. 1993, 1994, 1996 Playoff finals. 1997 and 2000 League Cup games. Countless First Division games on Central including playoff semi finals, and numerous games on Sky Sports.

He is enshrined in this club's history because of the way he so brilliantly commentated on us through that period.

• Like 2

Not too many commentators I like any more. 

During all the games with no fans, I came to realise how shite some of them are. I'm not sure if it's because I obviously watched more football or it was just because the lack of fans made me concentrate to commentary more.

Martin Tyler is embarrassing nowadays, he's become unlistenable to me. He waffles on and tries to be funny constantly. Pundits aren't much better on sky also.

Will look forward to Amazon coverage which has been decent over the last couple of years