Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
An Away Move

Tielemans rank in Leicester’s all-time CM list?

I loved cambiasso as much as anyone but people have blinkers on when they remember him. He was great but we also weren’t used to quality at that time. (This was the same season Gary Taylor fletcher and dean hammond started against Chelsea) 

If cambiasso was an English dude we’d signed from Southampton he wouldn’t be remembered as one of our all time bests. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jruizc_ said:

Hi guys, 

I've written an article about Youri and I would love if you could read it

It's in Spanish though and I assume most of you won't understand a thing but here you have:

https://onefootball.com/es/noticias/tielemans-el-jugador-total-33984705

Good article - and good to see you giving credit to Puel for initially bringing in Youri and a number of other important players.

It didn't work out for Puel here for other reasons, but he deserves our gratitude for the signings made under his regime (with Rudkin and others).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The name of Cambiasso is only coming up because of his reputation as opposed to anything else.  When he played for us he was well passed his peak and we have 3 midfielders in the current line up who have achieved more than him for Leicester.

The only player we have had in my lifetime anywhere close to Tielemans is Izzet and he was still behind in terms of skill and passing.

He is the one player in this team we will find almost impossible to replace if/when he goes.  Even with Vardy we have Daka coming through with frightening potential.

Tielemans the best all rounder for me. Does a bit of the physical and destructive stuff but has a sublime and unparalleled range of passes and shooting techniques. He has the advantage over many of the candidates extin that he plays with better teammates but he makes every one of them 10 per cent better - the perfection of his passes almost tells the receiver what to do next.

Much as I loved him Izzet is the closest to an all rounder but he was never really in the same bracket as Youri. Gibson might be on a par with Muzzy. 

Tthe others were all primarily excellent at one part of the role. Kante was utterly superb at tackling, blocking, transitioning, but no better than Savage in the final third. (See his goal v Watford)..Lennon wasn’t too far behind - a brilliant disruptor but again not a passer or a shooter. Gary Mac brilliant at the passing but lightweight out of possession - Parker ditto.

I loved watching Cambiasso but too short lived a career with us for best ever status. Youri is a genius - any club would want him ..

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

I’d put Garry Parker in any all time midfielder list. Fantastic passer of the ball. Great composure. If he was younger and didn’t piss O’Neil off as much as he did, he would’ve been a mainstay in the Izzet/Lennon partnership.

Good shout, class player and a key squad member of the O'Neil era.

Lower level but Steve Thompson was a very good CM under Brian Little 

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 1

Moving away from individuals, I always think of CMs as a pair or Trio.

A Kante is better with a Drinkwater, a Tieleman is better with a Ndidi etc 

In my time the best pair, trios have been.

Muzzy, Lennon, Savage 

Kante, Drinkwater

Tielemans, Ndidi, Maddison 

With a nod to Oldfield and Thompson, because that when I started going down regular basis.  

Edited by coolhandfox

It's too difficult to single it down to one as each player is unique but my top 3 would be Tielemans, Kante, and Cambiasso in no particular order. All had/have been unbelievable in a City shirt and I'm so fortunate to have seen them play. 

If you asked me who I enjoyed watching the most I'd probably sway towards Cambiasso. To do what he was doing for us at his age in arguably the best league in the world takes something special. Yes his legs had gone but he used all his experience to make up for that. On the ball it was like watching a Champion Chess player. Youri has similar traits in terms of his vision but if Youri is 1-2 steps ahead of play, Cambiasso was 3-4. Watching him week in week out completely changed the lens through which I now watch the game.

Off the ball he was like a conductor of an Orchestra, constantly bringing others in and out of play. Going back to the Chess analogy you could see the cogs ticking in his mind constantly shuffling the pieces across the board instructing his team where to go and when. It went from a watching a sport to becoming an art form such was his mastery of the game. 

To be honest I obviously knew of his reputation before he joined us, but I don't think I fully appreciated how good a player he actually was. Having watched a suboptimal (I.e. Not at his physical peak) Cambiasso perform for us the way he did I can absolutely see why he was one of the best footballers in the world in his prime and I'm rather envious that we never got to see that. 

Youri reminds me of him in so many ways and I see no reason why he can't go on to become just as good. He has the vision which will only get better with time along with all the technical ability too, however I'd just like to see him start exerting himself on the game more by being that leader in the centre of the park that pulls all the strings. As soon as he masters that he'll become one of the absolute elite. 

Edited by ian__marshall
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cambiass was the "name" from performances from his career...

He didnt always ooze class in that  short time in a city shirt...but Damn worth mentioning in dispaches..

From my side ,I refuse to put past & present high-performing players in any Box or file of ranking...

So...just to have a notable honoured wide spread...

Mclintock..Gibson...Weller, S.Thompson, Parker,Lennon, Izzet, G.Mcallister...S.Kember.kante..

Maddison-Tielemans,are looking decent contenders,  but still have foxes Unfinished business.

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1

I don't know why people said that Youri cannot be compared to likes of Lennon or Kante etc.   Obviously we cannot compare their skillset due to their differing positions or role but surely we can compare their influence/impact on the team.  

It is why for me, Kante ranked above Youri even that I liked the latter more as Kante was a huge factor in stepping up our midfield to be a title winning midfield.  

2 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Tielemans is the best central midfielder we've ever had.

N'golo Kante won the league with us and went onto win the Champions League and World Cup, but he only played 37 games for us in total. Youri is coming up for 100 games, and has shown a high level over multiple seasons. On top of that he has an iconic moment to outright win a major trophy that we would not have done otherwise. Tielemans is also an all round brilliant player, he passes, scores, tackles, leads. He's the total package, even if not as consistent as Kante.

2nd for me would be Muzzy Izzet who played over 250 times for us, winning two trophies and reaching another final. In fact there's an argument to say he's the best we've ever had because of those stats and longevity, but for as brilliant as he was, Tielemans is the better all round player.

In my lifetime, Wilfred Ndidi and Neil Lennon should also be in the conversation.

It cannot be anyone else but Kanté I'm afraid.

He was arguably world class during his season here and completely unique. The fact he only stayed one season and achieved what he did with us and Chelsea/France subsequently just shows how good he was.

The club's stature is different to what it was then, but if Tielemans was at the same level of performance he truthfully wouldn't be here.

Tielemans' legacy will be great and he is right up there as one of the best central mids I've seen for this club, but having seen Kanté was the next best thing to having Messi or Ronaldo play for us.

Edited by shen
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Cambiass was the "name" from performances from his career...

He didnt always ooze class in that  short time in a city shirt...but Damn worth mentioning in dispaches..

From my side ,I refuse to put past & present high-performing players in any Box or file of ranking...

So...just to have a notable honoured wide spread...

Mclintock..Gibson...Weller, S.Thompson, Parker,Lennon, Izzet, G.Mcallister...S.Kember.

Maddison-Tielemans,are looking decent contenders,  but still have foxes Unfinished business.

I was surprised Gary McAllister didn’t get a mention to you said, as Gordon Lee once said McAllister was like a Rolls Royce, he had everything 

Edited by dayday

3 hours ago, ousefox said:

You can't compare Kante and Tielemans. Completely different players.

He's more similar to Cambiasso, Drinkwater and Izzet.

He's definitely better than the first two were for us, although people underestimate just how talented Drinkwater was cos of how he's disapearred. 

I kind of don't want to say he's better than Izzet but I think he is. Tielemans gets into any team in the world right now.

Yep I would say he’s most similar to Drinkwater out of them listed. Muzzy was very different to them both. 

My top 10 FWIW (in my lifetime):

1.  Tielemans - That cup final screamer just seals it.

2.  Kante

3.  N'Didi

4. Lennon - I rate him a fraction above Muzzy.  Everything went through him.

5. Izzet 

6. Gary Mac

7. Mark Draper

8. Cambiasso - as judged in his LCFC twilight year.

9. Danny Drinkwater

10. Garry Parker

Honourable mentions for Steve Thompson, Ali Mauchlen, Gary Mills, Kevin MacDonald and Robbie Savage.

Edited by murphy
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, ian__marshall said:

It's too difficult to single it down to one as each player is unique but my top 3 would be Tielemans, Kante, and Cambiasso in no particular order. All had/have been unbelievable in a City shirt and I'm so fortunate to have seen them play. 

If you asked me who I enjoyed watching the most I'd probably sway towards Cambiasso. To do what he was doing for us at his age in arguably the best league in the world takes something special. Yes his legs had gone but he used all his experience to make up for that. On the ball it was like watching a Champion Chess player. Youri has similar traits in terms of his vision but if Youri is 1-2 steps ahead of play, Cambiasso was 3-4. Watching him week in week out completely changed the lens through which I now watch the game.

Off the ball he was like a conductor of an Orchestra, constantly bringing others in and out of play. Going back to the Chess analogy you could see the cogs ticking in his mind constantly shuffling the pieces across the board instructing his team where to go and when. It went from a watching a sport to becoming an art form such was his mastery of the game. 

To be honest I obviously knew of his reputation before he joined us, but I don't think I fully appreciated how good a player he actually was. Having watched a suboptimal (I.e. Not at his physical peak) Cambiasso perform for us the way he did I can absolutely see why he was one of the best footballers in the world in his prime and I'm rather envious that we never got to see that. 

Youri reminds me of him in so many ways and I see no reason why he can't go on to become just as good. He has the vision which will only get better with time along with all the technical ability too, however I'd just like to see him start exerting himself on the game more by being that leader in the centre of the park that pulls all the strings. As soon as he masters that he'll become one of the absolute elite. 

Pretty much exactly as I see it. It's always debatable who is or was best. but Cambiaso just oozed a class similar to Bergkamp I hadn't seen before. He was as you say a rolls royce of a player in a team of Journeymen back then. Most of whom would struggle to make todays team.

Kante was exceptional as a destroyer of attacks, A different skillset. To his credit he's gone on to make himself into a decent creative player with Chelsea.

Youri is an exceptional player who sees things very early on the pitch.

By the time he finishes here he may well go on to be our greatest ever player up their with Vardy. I just hope he stays. He'll always be remembered fondly for his Cup Winning performance.

But for me Cambiaso just shades it, given that it was his influence on the young squad we had to knuckle down and take their career more seriously.

Which they duly done with Claudio's inspirational speeches went on to win the league. And yes Kante also played his part. But Cambiaso was also a leader of Men.

14 minutes ago, murphy said:

My top 10 FWIW (in my lifetime):

1.  Tielemans - That cup final screamer just seals it.

2.  Kante

3.  N'Didi

4. Lennon - I rate him a fraction above Muzzy.  Everything went through him.

5. Izzet 

6. Gary Mac

7. Mark Draper

8. Cambiasso - as judged in his LCFC twilight year.

9. Danny Drinkwater

10. Garry Parker

Honourable mentions for Steve Thompson, Ali Mauchlen, Gary Mills, Kevin MacDonald and Robbie Savage.

Andy King not even getting an honourable mention despite being our top scoring CM of all time is a bit harsh

Edited by shen
  • Like 1