Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
An Away Move

Tielemans rank in Leicester’s all-time CM list?

Steve Thompson deserves a mench, as they put it nowadays. He was a bit too mild mannered when it came to the hurly burley side of the game but he was an excellent passer of the ball and scored some great goals too. Who can forget his equaliser against Swindon at Wembley. ''It's unbelievable stuff now''.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

rf.jpg

I think the comparison is fair, because both are box to box midfielders. We’re not comparing a striker to a defender here. 

N’golo Kante is indisputably world class, but he’s also 30 years old, compared to Youri at 24. Kante is the better tackler and interceptor but Tielemans isn’t bad at either. Kante has never scored a goal like Youri’s in his entire career and is unlikely to do so. His first touch, 

dribbling, short and long passing isn’t as good and Youri is by far the better communicator. 

Tielemans has played more games, scored more goals, made more tackles and made more key passes for Leicester than Kante. Given his age it’s also likely he will go onto win more major trophies, hopefully with us. Finally Tielemans won us the FA Cup against that seasons Champions League winners. Kante was phenomenal in his season here but Guardiola was still in Spain, Klopp had only begun his rebuild and Mourinho was having a meltdown. We fully deserved our title but the quality of teams in that season was not what it was today. 

Both are incredible, but Youri is the better all round player in my book that has also done more for us over a longer period of time. 

• Like 2

Kante can turn almost any 'big club' into title winners, and most big European clubs into Champions League contenders.

He's far ahead of Tielemans if we're being serious and non-biased.

He's that good, you can operate in a midfield 2 with him, against a midfield 3, and not be at a significant disadvantage.

As good as Youri is, there are guys like Modric/Kroos who have been far superior in this current generation of players, Kante is pretty much regarded as the best in the World at what he does.

Big clubs still have doubts about Tielemans, that's clear from the fact we were actually able to sign him..

No club is in doubt about Kante's ability.

Tielemans also lacks the consistency, he gives the ball away far far too cheaply at times....Whereas another underrated aspect of Kante's was that I can't recall him ever giving the ball away for us, whereas I can watch Tielemans do that 2/3 times a half. I'm not just talking about the fact Tielemans takes more 'risks' either, he gives it away too often under no pressure in our half for a Top player.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

I think the comparison is fair, because both are box to box midfielders. We’re not comparing a striker to a defender here. 

N’golo Kante is indisputably world class, but he’s also 30 years old, compared to Youri at 24. Kante is the better tackler and interceptor but Tielemans isn’t bad at either. Kante has never scored a goal like Youri’s in his entire career and is unlikely to do so. His first touch, 

dribbling, short and long passing isn’t as good and Youri is by far the better communicator. 

Tielemans has played more games, scored more goals, made more tackles and made more key passes for Leicester than Kante. Given his age it’s also likely he will go onto win more major trophies, hopefully with us. Finally Tielemans won us the FA Cup against that seasons Champions League winners. Kante was phenomenal in his season here but Guardiola was still in Spain, Klopp had only begun his rebuild and Mourinho was having a meltdown. We fully deserved our title but the quality of teams in that season was not what it was today. 

Both are incredible, but Youri is the better all round player in my book that has also done more for us over a longer period of time. 

I'd still go for Kante simply because of the 2015/16 memories but you make a good argument.

• Like 1

Tielemans is right up there, like others have said it’s hard to place him role wise in a similar place to Cambassio. 

Kante i still to this day cannot work out how he is so, so ridiculously good, he’s a phenomenal player, all his attributes make it seem so unlikely... but also he’s only done a season with us - so gotta nod for Tielemans just over as Kante couldn’t strike a ball from 30+ yards to get us out of trouble in the same way Youri was - and while we won a Premier League with Kante, we’ve won two? Trophies with Tielemans and had longer service which has benefited keeping us as contenders.

Random shout-out to Theo Zagorakis as well who was a player I utterly loved as a kid, awesome player, never forget he won the Euros as Greece captain while unattached. He’s obviously not in the Tielemans category but he was a great player.

1 hour ago, TrentFox said:

Clearly, everyone has forgotten Eddie Kelly 😞

No, he was the one Frank Mclintock signing who was any good. Jock Wallace got rid of all the others but he kept Eddie Kelly on and he was a key man in the the 79/80 promotion season.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Peckfortonfox said:

Leicester have never been as successful as the last 6 years, so that would suggest our players are currently better than anything pre 1992.

Leicester City were Runners Up in the top league of the land in 1928-29. Ancient history to us, but not my granddad who attended that season. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

You are doing Kanté a massive disservice if you think his dribbling and first touch were inferior. He was stellar at winning the ball and moving past the first tackle before either carrying the ball up field or releasing it. His turn of pace is something Tielemans has never had.

Everyone rightfully highlighted his tackling, but his quick and forward thinking plays allowed our lightning counters.

• Like 2

I look at it this way, if we swapped Kante for Tielemans into this team would it improve us?  I think not.   Perhaps we're spoiled because we have Wilf to do the destroyer role but Tielemans' eye for a pass, his 20 goals (122 apps) and countless assists are more important imo than anything that Kante could add to us.

The question is, which has the more charming smile?  Now that's a tough one.

Just now, murphy said:

I look at it this way, if we swapped Kante for Tielemans into this team would it improve us?  I think not.   Perhaps we're spoiled because we have Wilf to do the destroyer role but Tielemans' eye for a pass, his 20 goals (122 apps) and countless assists are more important imo than anything that Kante could add to us.

The question is, which has the more charming smile?  Now that's a tough one.

That's a straw man though. You could just as easily ask if you swapped Tielemans for Kante would he have improved the title winning side though? The answer is obviously no as well.

Maddison has more goals and assists per game than Tielemans does so I think simply using the goals and assists as more important than anything Kante could add to us only in relation to our current side and not ask the same question about Tielemans in 2015-16 is daft.

33 minutes ago, shen said:

You are doing Kanté a massive disservice if you think his dribbling and first touch were inferior. He was stellar at winning the ball and moving past the first tackle before either carrying the ball up field or releasing it. His turn of pace is something Tielemans has never had.

Everyone rightfully highlighted his tackling, but his quick and forward thinking plays allowed our lightning counters.

Kante is not as good a dribbler and does not have as good a first touch as Tielemans. Have you been to games to see both players in action? This isn't even up for argument, Tielemans is by far the superior technical player of the two. Youri Tielemans was playing Champions League football at the age of 16 for Anderlecht and was considered one of the best technical players Belgium has ever produced. Likewise it cannot be argued that Kante is the better ball winning player and possibly the best seen in world football over the last 10 years.

Regarding pace, Tielemans is much faster and can accelerate more quickly than people think, compare his top speed at Euro 2020 to Kante:
https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro-2020/teams/players/250064006--youri-tielemans/statistics/

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro-2020/teams/players/250097248--n-golo-kante/statistics/

Tielemans clocked the faster pace, and this is for a team that averaged more possession in games than France did. Youri looks chubby, but his running stats are routinely among the best at our club alongside Ricardo. His acceleration isn't as good as Kante's, but he's far from slow.

N'golo Kante is absolutely a world class player at what he does. That isn't up for debate, but in terms of all round play, he's not as good as Tielemans. So then it comes down to what attributes you rate as being better in a player. For example, against the teams that let us run our counter attack against them in 15/16, Kante was often the best player on the pitch. But against teams that sat back themselves with a deep block, he wasn't nearly as effective and it was often individual brilliance from Riyad Mahrez that won such games, such as against Watford. Tielemans by contrast is often key to unlocking defensive teams, and can produce moments of magic to single-handedly win the match for us be it a goal or more often the incisive pass. But he's not the ideal man you want to recover the ball back and start a counter press in the middle of the park, which is why Ndidi is in the team.

Kante's impact declined for Chelsea when Sarri was coach, as he didn't have the technical skill to play as one of the two 8's he like to use in his 433 system, and preferred Jorginho as the 6 to act as the metronome the team was built around. He's back to his best under Tuchel because he's simplified his game again so that he sticks to what he is good at; winning the ball back, intercepting attacks, and quickly distributing the ball to the better technical players in the team like Jorghinho or Kovacic, just like he did for us when he gave the ball quickly to Mahrez or Drinkwater. That shows that despite Kante being an amazing player, he has weaknesses. Of course his strengths are pretty incredible!

The arguments for Kante being our best ever CM:

- Was a star player in the team that won us the Premier League.

- Was incredibly consistent. I'd go as far as saying he never played a bad game for Leicester.

- Went on to win the FA Cup, Premier League, World Cup and Champions League (though it must be noted not with us).

- Is probably the best player in the world in terms of tackling and interceptions backed up by stats during our season and in subsequent years.

The case for Tielemans:

- Helped us over two and a half seasons to two 5th placed finishes and an FA Cup win, including scoring a world class goal in a tournament final against the eventual Champions League winners.

- Has an exceptional all round game; can tackle, intercept, pass short and long and can shoot.

- Has scored screamers in several games, often at important moments.

- Is a main stay in one of the most technical teams in world football (Belgium), who were ranked #1 in the world for several years.

- Has played more games for Leicester than Kante.

- Has achieved more in the game than Kante at the same age.

- Is on an insane consecutive played games streak. He has played the most consecutive games in a row of any outfield player in the Premier League with over 60 games in a row.

I do see the arguments for Kante as being the best, but playing just one season counts against him. Yes it was one of the most incredible seasons for any player ever seen at our club, but it was just one season and a season where two other players arguably had even better seasons than he did. The other argument is what he's gone onto achieve, but then Esteban Cambiasso should come into the conversation because he is the most decorated player to ever turn out for Leicester. Had Kante played two seasons for us, I don't think this would be a debate, but he only played one, and that's why it's an interesting discussion.

We can of course agree to disagree, and I respect your opinion. But I think the conversation should be more nuanced than just "Kante is the best and anyone that thinks otherwise is wrong.

It has been brilliant to see both of these players turn out for us, and one of them we can still see on a weekly basis!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Sampson said:

That's a straw man though. You could just as easily ask if you swapped Tielemans for Kante would he have improved the title winning side though? The answer is obviously no as well.

Maddison has more goals and assists per game than Tielemans does so I think simply using the goals and assists as more important than anything Kante could add to us only in relation to our current side and not ask the same question about Tielemans in 2015-16 is daft.

I hate that expression (straw man) but on reflection, yes, I suppose you're right.  Two very different styles of play though.

Edited by murphy