Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
An Away Move

Tielemans rank in Leicester’s all-time CM list?

Both Kante and Tielemans in a team would be something.

Kante is world class.

Tielemans is on the next level down from world class.  

I think Ndidi is one of our most important players;. I am surprised our results have improved while he has been out injured (although this shows that Evans is one of our most important players). 

My loyalty to Ndidi is such that I wouldn't want him replaced by anyone.  However, I do not see him as world class, I see him, for his position, at a similar level to Tielemans (Tielemans being slightly ahead) 

Taking all this I to account, I would put Kante ahead of Tielemans when ranking our best midfielder ever.

18 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Mclintock, Frank

Thanks for reminding me about him. My dad, weirdly enough for a German, used to refer to him as Mclintosh :)

I suspect he was on a par with Tielemans or possibly better.

Arsenal coveted him and made an offer neither City nor McLintock could turn down.

He became an integral member of one of the great Arsenal sides. Tielemans will have to work very hard to emulate him, if he stays or transfers.

7 hours ago, Line-X said:

Why?

Unfortunately, it's a very commonly encountered logical fallacy. So are these, take your pick on here - 

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/

See the match day threads and the coronavirus thread for examples par excellence.  

Because it's an accusation of distorting a counter-argument and ever so slightly aggressive in my view.  I also have a creeping suspicion that it's an Americanism which is grounds enough.

Well you did ask.  :D

Revisionism, that's another one that gets misused.

edit - Not an Americanism, first used by Martin Luther in 1520.  :dunno:

Still don't like it.

Edited by murphy

Cant comment really on 'all time' as I never saw anything much pre Prem.

Best 5 for me since 1992(prem era):

1. Kante

2. Tielemans

3. Izzet

4. Lennon

5. Ndidi

Tielemans is argubly 1 but I just cant forget that unbelievable season from Kante. Plus Kante has gone on to win back to back leagues, CL, EL, Fa Cup and the World Cup. Hes an all time great and we had him at his absolute peak (15-18 he was at his absolute best for me).

Izzet was unbelievable and always looked a level above anything we had, felt like he was too good for us and played in a different era with much worse teams and still achieved 2 league cups. Izzet could and should of been better on ability and maybe in the modern era he would of got into a top 6 team easily.

Lennon was fantastic anchor type player and was before his time in how he read and dictated the game. I was a bit younger to really appreciate that late 90s era but I vividly remember praying for him to not follow MON to Celtic. Looking back at it now its clear, similar to when Kante left, how crucial he was to us by how we fell away. People blamed Taylor, Akinbiyi or the Wycombe defeat as reasons, but the reality was the heart was ripped from the team when he went. WITH Taylor we still were doing fantastic, if not better initally. Also with Akinbiyi, we looked fine in 2000/01. Soon as Lennon left, we got bashed 6-1 at Highbury and it was clear we wernt the same.

Its underrated how good Lennon was I feel. He would of been top draw in any era.

Wilf has been fantastic. Genuinely one of the top players in the world in his position. He makes the top 5 for me with a mixture of longevity, replacing argubly our greatest midfielder ever and solidifying us at our worst and then being crucial to us when we've built a better team to do the dirty work for them to flourish. Hes exactly the type of player Man Utd need currently for that reason. So crucial and ignored.

Im sure theres others pre current era but judging how weve won the league Fa cup and charity sheild, it seems this part of our history is at our highest which would suggest as Leicester fans old and new, this is unrecognisable levels. Tielemens has to be right up there by anyone's standards.

Last thing ill mention, Is it just me or is the Cambiasso thing a bit of a myth? He was well past his best for us, did a decent yet not spectacular role for us which for 3/4 of a season was ending in relelgation but seems like some cult hero?

He had a great career and was decent for us no doubt, but top 5 ever? Do me a favour.

Edited by deanolegend1989

23 hours ago, murphy said:

My top 10 FWIW (in my lifetime):

1.  Tielemans - That cup final screamer just seals it.

2.  Kante

3.  N'Didi

4. Lennon - I rate him a fraction above Muzzy.  Everything went through him.

5. Izzet 

6. Gary Mac

7. Mark Draper

8. Cambiasso - as judged in his LCFC twilight year.

9. Danny Drinkwater

10. Garry Parker

Honourable mentions for Steve Thompson, Ali Mauchlen, Gary Mills, Kevin MacDonald and Robbie Savage.

No James Madison in that list is madness. Agree with most others though from my lifetime.

16 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

We can of course agree to disagree, and I respect your opinion. But I think the conversation should be more nuanced than just "Kante is the best and anyone that thinks otherwise is wrong.

It has been brilliant to see both of these players turn out for us, and one of them we can still see on a weekly basis!

And I respect your(i)s.

I'm not sure I understand why Kanté having a single season with us is used as a negative argument. It shows how incredible he was, in my opinion.

All due respect to Vardy and Mahrez, but Kanté fit into more styles than those two and would genuinely have improved every single club side, bar maybe Barcelona at the time.

I will sing Tielemans' praises all day, but I do feel that appraisal of Kanté's ability and performances during THAT season is too often over-simplified. He was a fantastic progressive passer and even ball-carrier which is so often overlooked because of his inhuman ability to nick the ball off opponents.

We are fans during an incredible time for this club. I didn't truly believe that Izzet would ever be surpassed as maybe the best LCFC midfielder since I started following the club, but both Youri and NG have been something else!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Regarding pace, Tielemans is much faster and can accelerate more quickly than people think, compare his top speed at Euro 2020 to Kante:
https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro-2020/teams/players/250064006--youri-tielemans/statistics/

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro-2020/teams/players/250097248--n-golo-kante/statistics/

TBF I think Kanté has lost a little acceleration in the last few years, with the several hamstring injuries across his Chelsea career and the groin injury that he suffered just before the first COVID lockdown in 2020. Would have to check his earlier stats though

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lfu said:

TBF I think Kanté has lost a little acceleration in the last few years, with the several hamstring injuries across his Chelsea career and the groin injury that he suffered just before the first COVID lockdown in 2020. Would have to check his earlier stats though

This the tricky bit because N'golo has surely about peaked, whereas Youri is just coming into his.

Kante's first 5 yards was verging on the superhuman for us, I guess he uses it more carefully these days.

• Like 1

I sometimes have difficulty with these ‘best ever’ type topics. Are we rating the best players on pure ability or on their contribution to Leicester? If it’s the latter then does longevity come into the equation?

Cambiasso and Kante were two of our greatest ever in terms of ability, but only had one season - although in Kante’s case he contributed to our greatest ever season. 

Kante, Izzet, Lennon, Gary Mc and Tielemans are all in the mix, but I do think people shouldn’t get sidelined by what players have achieved elsewhere. 

Martin Keown won 3 PL titles and 3 FA Cups with Arsenal. Is he one of our greatest ever defenders? Rhetorical question as he’s obviously not ….

….. but

….. then again ….

we wouldn’t have won the PL title without Kante …. 

11 hours ago, deanolegend1989 said:

Last thing ill mention, Is it just me or is the Cambiasso thing a bit of a myth? He was well past his best for us, did a decent yet not spectacular role for us which for 3/4 of a season was ending in relelgation but seems like some cult hero?

He had a great career and was decent for us no doubt, but top 5 ever? Do me a favour.

I think you're spot on with this, and I rarely agree with you lol

If our squad contained all of the midfielders mentioned in the thread right now, at the level they were at when they played for Leicester, then the central midfield two would be Tielemans and Kante.  It's not even a contest.  They are/were fabulous players for us.  It's hard to pick one over the other because they're different types of player, but put it this way, if we were playing playground football and all the midfielders that ever played for Leicester were lined up, and I was given first pick...  I'd go for Kante in a heartbeat.

• Like 1