Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

Leicester 0-2 Arsenal post match

3 minutes ago, Babylon said:

They dropped off because they were 2-0 up. If you couldn’t see them take their foot off the gas a bit then I give up.

Drop off and coasted are not synonymous terms.

Nonetheless, if their play dropped off, it’s because we put them on the back foot.

• Like 2

This is becoming too much of a trend. Starting with no tempo - almost lethargic. Outside of Utd, I can’t remember a game this season where we’ve started aggressively. You could even argue that Utd being as poor as they currently are gave an element of flattery to our start. Brentford, Arsenal, Wolves, West Ham, Brighton in the league all have started quicker, stronger, more aggressively. If a fan can see this week in week out, surely the management team with all of the analysis available should be addressing the issue?

Outside of this, Amartey for all his good form over the last few games had a shocker. Thomas is not a wing back. It’s been said on here before, and the first half and complete lack of presence and positioning only emphasised this point. 

For what it’s worth, and in spite of the berating we’ve given them, Arsenal are improving. I wouldn’t think twice about having a fair few of their players playing for us. 

Finally - set pieces. With a fair number of teams employing set piece coaches, is it time we looked at this approach? We haven’t been able to defend set pieces for a fair old while now. It’s a scramble every time we concede. Our attacking set pieces are non descript at best. Time to address?

• Like 4

Terrible start, but then found our levels after that. Hard to analyse it anymore than that.

From 20 minutes onwards the only frustration from me was the lack of urgency, especially when we had a free kick or corner. Are the players in too much of a comfort zone?

42 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Just not our day today, we’ve done everything but score. Ramsdale has had the game of his life, that save from Madders freekick was up there with the best I’ve ever seen.

Poor opening 20, but other than that we were the better team.

We go again mid week!

It wasn’t even a good freekick, at all. 

The save looked good because he tipped it onto the bar. 

*not aimed at you, just think the save was massively overrated by so many.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NaijaFox said:

Drop off and coasted are not synonymous terms.

Nonetheless, if their play dropped off, it’s because we put them on the back foot.

Coast “Act or make progress without making much effort.”

Their effort levels dropped off.

11 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

West Ham look strong but remain totally unconvinced by Arsenal. Long way to go yet. 

This league has 3 outstanding teams and then the majority are fairly average. Arsenal are on a run now and dont have European football to contend with. Don't get me wrong they aren't anything special, but Man U imploding has opened the door to 4th place, which several teams could take advantage of, including them. 

Defeat today is so frustrating because we'd just got some momentum together and a wn would have put us in the race. With the current trials and tribulations of teams like Spurs, Arsenal and Man U we should be right up in the race, but we've been average at best all season long. We can't even blame the Fofana injury any more as we've had Evans and Soyuncu for a while now. 

If we over performed over the last 2 seasons, we are definitely underperforming this.

• Like 2

Bastard of a game that. Effectively cut our legs off and then have enough chances to win. 

I sometimes question how much analysis we do of opposition. Arsenal took advantage of the same formation against Villa. Saka and Smith Rowe attack the channel between CB and WB. When we did the four at the back, Saka and Smith Rowe had to help out their full backs 

• Like 1

Guest Kopfkino
34 minutes ago, Sampson said:

That's nonsense.

Arsenal didn't "manage the game well" nor did they defend particularly well, we had 2 free headers which would've been open goals, Thomas screwed an inch wide and Ramsdale made 4 or 5 great saves. We could've scored 4 today and no one would say it was undeserved. Arsenal's defending and game management was actually quite poor today, they just came across a side who couldn't finish.

0.84 of our xG came in a 12 minute period. 0.71 of the rest came from Evans following in Maddison’s free kick.

I said we had a 10 minute spell, if you decide to read and comprehend that, the xG backs that up. Outside of that, the quality of the chances we had weren’t high quality chances. That’s the mark of a good defensive performance and of course they created the best chance of the 2nd half themselves anyway. 

xGOT will back up Ramsdale having a great game, a goalkeeper having a good game and being good defensively aren’t mutually exclusive. But actual chance quality measured by xG shows that we had a spell and little else outside of it. And for the rest of the game they managed it pretty well and defended alright. 

Edited by Kopfkino

17 minutes ago, Lesterlad said:

Because he is teachers pet. Thought he was like today especially first half. He can not of been fit if that’s the case why play him. Poor management from Rogers today 

Nothing to do with the 125 PL goals and currently second highest goal scorer in the league 

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

Coast “Act or make progress without making much effort.”

Their effort levels dropped off.

Again, respectfully disagree.

It was their play that dropped off, not their "effort levels".

And their play dropped off because we stepped up ours and put them on the back foot.

37 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I know I'm going to get pelters for this and the pathetic  lol  rep , but this game shows why Brendan was reluctant to play Ihenacho last season until he had to. If we play him we're 1 light in midfield. Look how we dominated the second half when he came off until Brendan put Daka on and they came into it again.

I'll be really surprised if he starts next week in the league.

We were light in midfield because Maddison was powderpuff again, virtually non-existant.

Watch a portion of the game where they attacked down their right and follow Maddison's movement.  It's all lip service defending where he hovers around players but never puts himself in a position to intercept or block, and never makes an effective tackle.  The only time I saw him going to help out Thomas he got in the way of him and allows the Arsenal player to skip out past both of them.

32 minutes ago, Sly said:

We need to approach our set piece defending differently. Teams target us now, as they know how weak we are. 

They crowd Schmeichel then take advantage of the static zonal marking by attacking the front post. No one on the back post to try stopping. It’s three goals this season in the same manner. They just have to beat Vardy on the front post 

This has been going on for a long time , its not missing players, Evans plays- we concede, Ndidi plays- we concede, even last season JJ and Fofana play- we concede. These are all good players but our defensive organisation is shoddy . We have some of the most effective strikers in the division but they can't win matches on their own.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I know I'm going to get pelters for this and the pathetic  lol  rep , but this game shows why Brendan was reluctant to play Ihenacho last season until he had to. If we play him we're 1 light in midfield. Look how we dominated the second half when he came off until Brendan put Daka on and they came into it again.

I'll be really surprised if he starts next week in the league.

...very much Nacho forced his hand in playing him last season and this!!!

Rodgers has no real confidence in Nacho and Amartey but has been forced to use them. Nacho has been a revelation and forced his way into the team but we have to adjust our formats depending on who we are up against.

52 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

If you can't defend corners and your players only turn the intensity on when you have conceded, you're going to have a bad time.

We improved, and their keeper was MOTM, but there was really no oomph with 15-20 mins to go, and Arsenal looked untroubled at the end.

Not enjoyable.  On to the next one....

Upside, your post was very meme-erable. 

47440FED-A2C5-458E-9FFD-E048C48A16B4.jpeg

Edited by Daggers
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

0.84 of our xG came in a 12 minute period. 0.71 of the rest came from Evans following in Maddison’s free kick.

I said we had a 10 minute spell, if you decide to read and comprehend that, the xG backs that up. Outside of that, the quality of the chances we had weren’t high quality chances. That’s the mark of a good defensive performance and of course they created the best chance of the 2nd half themselves anyway. 

xGOT will back up Ramsdale having a great game, a goalkeeper having a good game and being good defensively aren’t mutually exclusive. But actual chance quality measured by xG shows that we had a spell and little else outside of it. And for the rest of the game they managed it pretty well and defended alright. 

These days, one can hardly differentiate between reading a football report and a balance sheet. lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

This has been going on for a long time , its not missing players, Evans plays- we concede, Ndidi plays- we concede, even last season JJ and Fofana play- we concede. These are all good players but our defensive organisation is shoddy . We have some of the most effective strikers in the division but they can't win matches on their own.

As someone else has said if we can see it why can’t the management team?

Now I can’t say how we change it and I understand it’s not as simple as clicking your fingers, but they’re the ones getting paid the reddies and I don’t appreciate turning up and knowing we’re not going to play well or win from the first whistle every. single. game.

If we as knuckle dragging fans know that then it doesn’t take the opposition to study us much or give them any headaches as to how they’re gonna play against us does it? We’re far too easy to play for usually doing half the oppositions job for them.

But people will continue to apologise for it.

For starters today - it doesn’t matter what a players ability is, I always expected to see application, aggression, will to try and win. It was lacking today. 

I have issues with Rodgers, major issues but today’s on the players, but perhaps the players have issues with him too although that is no excuse for them at all.

Edited by Matt

15 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

Disappointed that Rodgers didn’t learn anything from last season when Pepe gave Thomas the run around. Now it was Saka. 
Our midfield gets overrun far too often. 
Ndidi was badly missed in this game. 

To be fair, Ndidi had a poor start to the season before his injury and I don't think we have gotten any worse defensively since he was out. I don't think Ndidi missing is what cost us the game today, I think it's an easy answer for a much more broad problem with our defence and midfield.

10 minutes ago, NaijaFox said:

Again, respectfully disagree.

It was their play that dropped off, not their "effort levels".

And their play dropped off because we stepped up ours and put them on the back foot.

Yea I’m sure it was a massive coincidence that as soon as they strolled to a 2-0 lead, they dropped off a bit. Like how so many times ours has when we go ahead, inviting pressure on ourselves… because most teams do that.

13 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Don’t be silly, we were AMAZING lol

Just now, Sampson said:

To be fair, Ndidi had a poor start to the season before his injury and I don't think we have gotten any worse defensively since he was out. I don't think Ndidi missing is what cost us the game today, I think it's an easy answer for a much more broad problem with our defence and midfield.

I just think we look so open in midfield and defence when we don’t have the ball.