Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Blue-fox

Memorable games

The play off semi at home vs Cambridge where Ooooh Tommy Wright and Rooster Russell in particular ran riot in a 5-0 win, running at opponents and taking them on time and time again coupled with the atmosphere and the significance of the win - to be at Wembley and a game away from the promised land....and to think we started the season with the likes of Platnauer, Fitzpatrick and Gordon around the first team. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MalletFox said:

There’s literally too many to mention, tbh, when you actually think about it we’ve created some incredible memories at the KP/Walkers Stadium …

4-0 win vs Leeds (Nalis screamer)

5-3 win vs Man Utd (Vards master class)

5-3 win vs Bolton (GTF getting one)

1-1 draw with Man Utd (Vards record breaking goal)

3-1 win vs Everton (Prem title lift)

2-0 win vs Sevilla for obvious reasons

4-2 win vs Man City (Vards trick in the rain)

4-2 win vs Man Utd the other week was an incredible game too, so many efforts on goal!

As the above are all far too positive I would add the following defeats as being really memorable too;

4-2 loss to Burton in the cup, Magahoma (or however you spell it) scored a ridiculous long range effort!

1-1 draw (2-1 agg loss) to Atletico Madrid, we gave as good as we got and gave one of Europe’s best a real run for there money.

Some absolutely class games above and many more that I’ve omitted for sure!

I remember the whole West Stand giving Burton a standing ovation after that performance. Was lovely to see.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Basingstoke Fox said:

VIlla in the League cup in 2006.

We equalised twice before giving away a penalty in the last minute. Step up Paul Henderson:

Carling Cup - Leicester City v Aston Villa : Fotografía de noticias

Unlucky deflection for their winner in the last minutes of extra time. A standout match during a period of utter dross.

Kop was well noisy that night.

1 hour ago, MattFox said:

Nobody mentioned Oxford in 1991 on the last day?

Arguably one of our most important results in history. 

It used to be but and I was at that game but I think it has lost its significance a lot after we did eventually go down to the 3rd tier in 2008.

Liverpool away in the 1st Division January 1981. They were reigning champions and top of the league at the time and we were newly promoted and bottom. They hadn't been beaten at Anfield for over 3 years in any competition and were closing in on a 100 match unbeaten run. 

We went 1-0 but came back to win 2-1 in an amazing match and complete a league double over them. Jim Melrose's finest hour. I was there and remember it even 40 years on.

We still went down at the end of the season though.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Moscow away for me... 

But also my very first away game 4-4 with Villa at Villa Park. 

David Lowe with a last minute equaliser. Their fans were fuming. 

I remember that game although I wasn't there.  That was the season Brian Little jumped ship and went to Villa. Ironically his 1st match as Villa manger was against us at Filbert Street in December 94,ending 1-1 and the match you refer to was in Feb 95. Those matches inaugurated a great run of results against Villa over the next 7 years and we didn't lose to them for 14 games running in league, FA Cup and League Cup until Peter Taylor spoilt the record by losing to them in April 2001 during that disastrous run in which we lost 10 out of the last 11 games of the season.

10 minutes ago, ceredigion said:

I remember that game although I wasn't there.  That was the season Brian Little jumped ship and went to Villa. Ironically his 1st match as Villa manger was against us at Filbert Street in December 94,ending 1-1 and the match you refer to was in Feb 95. Those matches inaugurated a great run of results against Villa over the next 7 years and we didn't lose to them for 14 games running in league, FA Cup and League Cup until Peter Taylor spoilt the record by losing to them in April 2001 during that disastrous run in which we lost 10 out of the last 11 games of the season.

Yes! 

4-1 down, if memory serves. Late David Lowe double. Blimey. Time flies. 

Two other very good games from the late 80's early 90's, without checking dates...

2-0 down at half-time to Leeds and Swindon. Came back to win 4-3 in both.

I might be wrong, but did Marc North score the screamer against Swindon, or was that in another game? Possibly a 2-2 draw.

10 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Two other very good games from the late 80's early 90's, without checking dates...

2-0 down at half-time to Leeds and Swindon. Came back to win 4-3 in both.

I might be wrong, but did Marc North score the screamer against Swindon, or was that in another game? Possibly a 2-2 draw.

Wasnt it Mark Venus with the screamer?

16 minutes ago, smudger63 said:

Wasnt it Mark Venus with the screamer?

OK, just googled it!

Can't find the Swindon game, but we beat Leeds in 1989 after being 2 down at half time.

I distinctly remember the game. Loads of their fans in the Double Decker.

North did score the screamer in a 2-2 draw, against Swindon. 

North went on to be a car salesman at Vauxhall, right near the ground.

Sadly died at a very young age.

Edited by tom27111

7 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

OK, just googled it!

Can't find the Swindon game, but we beat Leeds in 1989 after being 2 down at half time.

I distinctly remember the game. Loads of their fans in the Double Decker.

North did score the screamer in a 2-2 draw.

Ive just looked it up too, we are both right.  We beat Swindon 3-2 from 2-0 down on 7-11-1987, Mark Venus also scored a screamer, i actually remeber that goal and game very well. We had big Jari Rantanen playing up front.  I was there in amongst the crowd of 8346.  The game you was remembering was against Swindon on 24-10-1990, we drew 2-2 and Marc North did indeed score. The crowd was 9592, and i would also have definitely been there, but isnt a match i remember personally, but i`ve no doubt that his goal was the screamer you remember. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, smudger63 said:

Ive just looked it up too, we are both right.  We beat Swindon 3-2 from 2-0 down on 7-11-1987, Mark Venus also scored a screamer, i actually remeber that goal and game very well. We had big Jari Rantanen playing up front.  I was there in amongst the crowd of 8346.  The game you was remembering was against Swindon on 24-10-1990, we drew 2-2 and Marc North did indeed score. The crowd was 9592, and i would also have definitely been there, but isnt a match i remember personally, but i`ve no doubt that his goal was the screamer you remember. 

Haha love that! 

My first game was against Hull in February 1989, so knew I never saw Mark Venus!

Strange times, you could walk in to the ground and basically sit where you wanted. 

I kind of liked it like that, no expectations lol