Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Blue-fox

Memorable games

2 minutes ago, smudger63 said:

I know, the attendances were shocking back then when I look back, but it wasn't just a Leicester thing, it was a football in general thing. The funny thing is, we still used to have some cracking atmospheres down there  even with such few numbers. I have to say, although football probably needed the premier league and sky money to get it going again, I loved those old pre premier league days. Getting relegated in those days was a knock to the pride but it didnt threaten the future of a club, the way it did with us 2002, and other clubs too.  Football seems so much more serious these days, where winning and being successful is everything. Back in the 70s when I started going down the city, up until the premier league era, it seemed so much more fun. A time when you could wake up on the day of a game and just rock up and get in. When you were down the pub on a Friday night and one of your mates suggested going to the citys away game the next day, and you all piled into a van the next morning and headed to whatever part of the country we were playing in, for what we would know would be a great day out regardless of the result. None of this, having to buy a ticket in advance malarkey, and paying a kings ransom for the privilege. Oh happy days! 

Yes I used to love the drunken chats in the pub on a Friday night discussing where 'The City' were playing and formulating a plan with military precision even though everyone was more than half cut and then the subsequent brave few carrying it out the next day 

At home games I'd have a couple flaming sambucas' before the game and in you'd go wherever you fancied on the day 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, smudger63 said:

I know, the attendances were shocking back then when I look back, but it wasn't just a Leicester thing, it was a football in general thing. The funny thing is, we still used to have some cracking atmospheres down there  even with such few numbers. I have to say, although football probably needed the premier league and sky money to get it going again, I loved those old pre premier league days. Getting relegated in those days was a knock to the pride but it didnt threaten the future of a club, the way it did with us 2002, and other clubs too.  Football seems so much more serious these days, where winning and being successful is everything. Back in the 70s when I started going down the city, up until the premier league era, it seemed so much more fun. A time when you could wake up on the day of a game and just rock up and get in. When you were down the pub on a Friday night and one of your mates suggested going to the citys away game the next day, and you all piled into a van the next morning and headed to whatever part of the country we were playing in, for what we would knew would be a great day out regardless of the result. None of this, having to buy a ticket in advance malarkey, and paying a kings ransom for the privilege. Oh happy days! 

Nowadays, going to a football match is starting to resemble trying to book a holiday in East Germany in the 1970s. And if that isn't bad enough, soon you're going to have to show medical proof that you're not infected before they let you in. That's already the case in Wales and they are now demanding that you wear a mask too once you get there.

You used to be able to just go to a football match on the spur of the moment if you wanted to but it's becoming increasingly difficult so I guess before too long it will be impossible. I don't know if the madness has seeped into the bottom 2 divisions yet but it's only a matter of time.

A couple of years ago I was talking to my son and his mates about football and I told them that when I was their age in the 1980s as a teenager I could walk up to the turnstile at Filbert Street at ten to 3.00 on a Saturday afternoon, hand over 2 or 3 quid at the turnstile and watch Leicester play Man U or Liverpool with players like Robson, Hughes, Rush, Dalglish and Souness on display. They thought I was bullshitting them but I said ''No, it really was like that.'' And then I tell them that it was also possible to turn up at the De Montfort Hall, hand over another 2 or 3 quid and watch world famous rock bands like AC/DC and Black Sabbath playing live.

It wasn't paradise. If it rained and you were on an uncovered terrace you got soaked but that's still the case at lots of grounds now, there was hooliganism but I wasn't a hooligan and I never got attacked anywhere, the pitches were shite between October and April and relegation was an ever present danger. Maybe it's just age but I preferred it back then.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ScrumpyJack said:

Just to piss on the parade, a game that sticks in my mind was a 6-1 away game at Fratton Park when Ginge Kitson played like prime Ibrahimovic.

Don't get people started on memorable games you wish you could forget. This thread will go on for ever if that happens.

• Haha 1