Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ceredigion

Were you ever at a game when we were relegated?

During my 46 years as supporter we've been relegated 7 times. The 1977/78, 1980/81, 1986/87, 1994/95, 2001/02, 2003/02 and 2007/08 seasons all ended with the club being relegated but on how many of those occasions did the relegation occur at the game we played, rather than as a result of another game when we weren't playing? And if we were playing, were you there?

Off the top of my head, I think that in 1981 we were relegated on the last day of the season. We beat Norwich 3-2 at Carrow Road but went down because we needed teams above us to drop points and they didn't.

In 1987 I think we were relegated at home at a 1-1 draw with Coventry in the penultimate game of the season. Not winning meant that relegation was confirmed with 1 game to go. I was at that game and I recall thinking we'd just go up next season but it took us 7 years to get back. Of Foxes and Fossils records the attendance that day as 14,903.

The other time I remember us being relegated when we played was at Stoke in 2008. I wasn't at that game and I'm glad I wasn't. A win would have kept us up but we only drew and I think it was Sheff Wed who won their game and sent us down. Were you at that one?

Because teams these days don't all play at the same time, there's now  a 50/50 chance that you won't be at the game when you go up or down or win the league, as happened to us in 2016, because it's the result of a game elsewhere that seals your fate. 

So have you ever been at the game that sent us down?

Sure 01/02 was confirmed at home to Manchester United, although realistically everyone knew we were down after the first match.

My main memories of that match were the amazing atmosphere and non stop singing in support despite the inevitable. Think we lost 0-1 and Bassett got some award presented from Ferguson before the match for possibly one thousand games as a manager.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rain King said:

Sure 01/02 was confirmed at home to Manchester United, although realistically everyone knew we were down after the first match.

My main memories of that match were the amazing atmosphere and non stop singing in support despite the inevitable. Think we lost 0-1 and Bassett got some award presented from Ferguson before the match for possibly one thousand games as a manager.

I can't recall the circumstances of 95 under McGhee, 02 under Basset or 04 under Adams. Was the Man U game in 02 the last match of the season or did we have a miserable 3 or 4 games still to play before the season ended knowing that we were down anyway?

4 hours ago, ceredigion said:

I can't recall the circumstances of 95 under McGhee, 02 under Basset or 04 under Adams. Was the Man U game in 02 the last match of the season or did we have a miserable 3 or 4 games still to play before the season ended knowing that we were down anyway?

There were a few games after that. We played Tottenham in the last game at Filbert Street having already been relegated. 

19 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Same here. It was my 18th birthday. We even took the lead but then it all fell apart. I watched the Stoke game on TV. Horrible.

I berated the long ball from the keeper (can’t remember who), “what’s that?! Who’s that to?!”….

The joy was short lived 😞

I was at Stoke awful awful day. But when you look back it was all worth it. As I’m not sure everything would’ve followed if that didn’t happen.

Also, I think it stops me getting too fed up about missing out on the champion league etc.,, And remember how far we have come.

Stoke. 

The inevitability of what we were facing turned into hope then into reality. But it was the best thing that ever happened to us in the long run, even though at the time it was utter guff.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lesterlad said:

Manchester United and Stoke 

Yeah same, they were completely different days though.

Like @Rain King said, the atmosphere towards the end of the Man U game was incredible as the whole ground was on their feet singing ‘We Love You Leicester’ at the end 

As Stoke away was last day of the season there was a nervous buzz and lots of telling each other what the other scores were during the game. Then at the end just complete silence while the home fans invaded the pitch with many goading us. Just remember walking out to complete silence and almost like no-one dared ask if the other games had finished. We just presumed they had as walked past a fair few in tears on the way out but then hoping someone would shout there’s been a late goal elsewhere. (Was Hull v Southampton, the other match that could have kept us up?).

The never having been out of the top two divisions stat ending hit hard at the time. Now just completely meaningless and just a step on an incredible journey.

• Thanks 1