Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ceredigion

Were you ever at a game when we were relegated?

12 minutes ago, Frank Large's Black Book said:

Old Trafford 1968 - losing after being beaten in the cup final a few weeks before.

Accident on way up, missed us taking the lead, got taken apart after that. Cornered by neanderthals after game.

Execrable day.

Er... think you'll find that that was in 1969. I was also at that game, which we lost 2-3.

9 hours ago, ceredigion said:

I can't recall the circumstances of 95 under McGhee, 02 under Basset or 04 under Adams. Was the Man U game in 02 the last match of the season or did we have a miserable 3 or 4 games still to play before the season ended knowing that we were down anyway?

From memory, once the relegation was confirmed Bassett went upstairs to be Director of Football and Adam’s took over as manager for the last three or four games, drawing all of them.

12 minutes ago, bovril said:

Was at the Charlton game. That was the worst relegation for me because we were more than good enough to stay up and totally blew it. 

07/08 was depressing but we were a shambles and deserved it. 

We were certainly a shambles in 07/08 but looking at the players we had that season, I believe we had more quality in the side than in the previous couple of seasons. 

40 minutes ago, bovril said:

Was at the Charlton game. That was the worst relegation for me because we were more than good enough to stay up and totally blew it. 

I think this is the only relegation game I went to. I agree - it was a season of what if’s - mainly as I recall what if games finished at 87 mins / what if we didn’t concede so many late goals that cost us points. Wasn’t there some insane stat that we would have finished mid table if games were 87 mins long or thereabouts?

I don’t remember much from the game itself other than being impressed with Peter Canero - but I think that was the high or extent of his career with us.

5 hours ago, Criggers said:

I wasn’t at Stoke, but I was at city 1-3 Sheff Wed. Which felt like we were relegated…

Awful day and our fans where shite.

All we had to do was win that game to be safe and put Wednesday down.

Wednesday fans singing 1 up and you fvcked it up for the last 15 minutes.

11 hours ago, Corky said:

Was at the Man United game in 2002.

I remember Man U fans towards the end of the game singing " you're going down in 9 mins" etc etc as the clock went towards 90 mins.  
& the whole ground stood for " stand up

if you love Leicester " in response. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sylofox said:

Awful day and our fans where shite.

All we had to do was win that game to be safe and put Wednesday down.

Wednesday fans singing 1 up and you fvcked it up for the last 15 minutes.

Wednesday fans for some reason get on my tits more than most clubs. I remind them constantly how little I now think about their tinpot club. 

4 hours ago, String fellow said:

Er... think you'll find that that was in 1969. I was also at that game, which we lost 2-3.

Quite correct thank you.

I was intending to put 1968/69, but as per usual my fingers were far ahead of my addled brain.

What was Nish's goal like? I never did find out. All I recall is being taken apart by Law and Best. 

My memory of the Coventry '87 game was Big Oggy (Steve Ogrosovic) making save after save for them, made the goal look small, lots of heads in hands for us as shots are tipped over the bar, turned round the post etc, one long frustration, the annoying thing was that although this was to be the F.A. Cup winning Coventry, when you say "Beat Coventry at home and you could stay up" like the Sheff Weds game years later, it's not like it was an impossible task and it's at home but it just goes pear shaped. Falling short because of an Ian Rush hat-trick I can take but to be frustrated by Ogrisovic?

19 minutes ago, Frank Large's Black Book said:

Quite correct thank you.

I was intending to put 1968/69, but as per usual my fingers were far ahead of my addled brain.

What was Nish's goal like? I never did find out. All I recall is being taken apart by Law and Best. 

Tbh honest, I can't remember Nish's goal in detail. What do I remember is that Fern scored very early on - too early to hold onto a 1-0 lead. Morgan then equalised and Law put them ahead before HT. The sinking feeling was partly removed when Nish equalised, but Best then sent us packing to Division Two with the winner. Strangely, Nish, Fern and Law all scored in the reverse fixture at Filbert Street the previous December in our 2-1 win. Allan Clarke had his last City game at Old Trafford, a game which had lots of famous players playing in it on both sides. Looking back, I reckon our run to the FA Cup Final may have contributed to us being relegated.

4 hours ago, bovril said:

That was a fun team, but the last ten minutes of games were like absolute kryptonite to that defence. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Often wondered how things would have panned out had we stayed up at Stoke on that day.

Same, all hypothetical of course but my guess would be that we would have stagnated in the Championship for many years to come. Going down definitely gave us an opportunity to rebuild the club from top to bottom. That said, restructuring a club is much easier said than done and we were massively lucky that Pearson happened to be the right man for the job.

Edited by Matt_Lcfc